Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   What Board To Buy!? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/52440-what-board-buy.html)

I Ride Baker 12-19-2012 12:43 AM

What Board To Buy!?

Hey all, I'm trying to decide on a new board and being pretty new to boarding I figured I'd turn to some experts for advice :D

Basically I'm looking for a board $500 or less, cheaper is better, but quality comes first. I have found a couple of options from last years line of boards and I am looking for your take on them. Which are better? Which are worse? Also feel free to throw in your own suggestions! I'm 6' 2" about 170 lbs and have a size 12 in US shoe size, so a wide board is preferred :)

What I've Found So Far,

K2:
K2 2012 Raygun Snowboard
On Sale K2 Fastplant Wide Snowboard 159 up to 40% off
On Sale K2 Darkstar Snowboard 159 up to 45% off

Ride:
2011 Ride Highlife Wide Snowboard at O2GearShop.com
Ride Highlife UL Wide Snowboard - 2011 Closeout at REI-OUTLET.com
On Sale Ride Kink Wide Snowboard 159 up to 40% off
Ride 2012 Crush Snowboard

Any advice is helpful!

Richie67 12-19-2012 12:49 AM

Where do you ride bud?

I Ride Baker 12-19-2012 12:58 AM

Mt. Baker, WA

alex12 12-19-2012 02:27 AM

I just picked up last season's K2 Raygun at Sport Chalet for under $200 OTD. I'd see if they have any left in your area

wrathfuldeity 12-19-2012 09:01 AM

this week a poo board, not today though...closed

Justin 12-19-2012 11:43 AM

They Highlife isn't overly beginner friendly. You might want to stear away from that one, it is stiff and likes to go fast all the time.

I haven't ridden the kink but it is supposed to be very soft.

Fastplant and darkstar are both twins so maybe not the best for your only board in a place that gets big dumps of snow unless you wanna ride a lot of park.

Not sure on the crush but the raygun seems to be well like by all who ride it. I would think that should be your first choice.

The turbo dream on the Ericks site would probably work depending on your boots. I wear a 13 burton boot and have ridden a regular width 157 rome agent rocker with no toe drag issues, but be sure before you buy a reg width.

I Ride Baker 12-19-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin (Post 554660)
They Highlife isn't overly beginner friendly. You might want to stear away from that one, it is stiff and likes to go fast all the time.

Fastplant and darkstar are both twins so maybe not the best for your only board in a place that gets big dumps of snow unless you wanna ride a lot of park.

Not sure on the crush but the raygun seems to be well like by all who ride it. I would think that should be your first choice.

The turbo dream on the Ericks site would probably work depending on your boots. I wear a 13 burton boot and have ridden a regular width 157 rome agent rocker with no toe drag issues, but be sure before you buy a reg width.

Thanks for the advice man!

Jet 12-19-2012 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin (Post 554660)

Definitely second the Turbo Dream. Great all-mountain, powder board, but can handle its own in most any situation. I wouldn't call it a beginners board, but I will say it's a great board for a beginner because it's good all-round board.