Board size - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board size

Alright I gotta ask this, cause every damned snowshop around here with people that consider themselves "expert riders" keep telling me my boards height is fine.. This guy I just got off on the phone was telling me how if I'm gonna be riding mammoth I don't want anything below a 155 because I'm gonna start sinking in. They all asked me where the board came up to my neck while on the phone, which is a red flag from what I've read.

I'm 5'11", weigh 152 and I ride a 159 Attack Banana, is it really too big for an all mtn board in Mammoth? My shoe size is a 9. Whats the ideal size for a do it all board?
Brizors is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well they say 140+ so I guess it should be fine. I'm no expert I just know how to read. Also board size simply has to do with your weight, how much snow doesn't really affect it. In fact ill be at mammoth tomorrow till Wednesday and I have a 151 rome reverb rocker but I also only weigh like 120.

Last edited by EatMyTracers; 12-20-2012 at 06:41 PM.
EatMyTracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizors View Post
Alright I gotta ask this, cause every damned snowshop around here with people that consider themselves "expert riders" keep telling me my boards height is fine.. This guy I just got off on the phone was telling me how if I'm gonna be riding mammoth I don't want anything below a 155 because I'm gonna start sinking in. They all asked me where the board came up to my neck while on the phone, which is a red flag from what I've read.

I'm 5'11", weigh 152 and I ride a 159 Attack Banana, is it really too big for an all mtn board in Mammoth? My shoe size is a 9. Whats the ideal size for a do it all board?
No way, especially on POW. I'm 150lb and I ride a 158 A-Frame or a 156 JJ Hovercraft (actual size 176, it's very wide and short) in powder
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

your board size is fine. ive found board size to be more personal preference then a designated thing. if you find it hard to turn and overwelming its probably a big and if its really unstable at high speeds its probably too small. it depends on the type of riding you do really but 159 is a good length for an all mountain board, you might want something a bit smaller but i wouldnt waste money on a board upgrade unless you need it. park boards are short, powder/high speed boards are (typically) long, anything in between is usually all mountain.

im the same height as you and when i was around you weight i was riding a 157 burton air and it was perfect. with my bindings set back i was able to ride very deep pow quite well. im fat now and i ride a 163 salomon powder snake. i usually prefer a bit smaller board but its not a big deal.
mikeinaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

There is no such thing as 'best' size across board types, manufacturers (a 155 Burton could be very different from a 155 NS or a 155 Yes), camber profile, etc. For each board then, size depends on a lot of factors including rider weight, ability, riding style, typical conditions - and most importantly rider preference.

Your AB is a little on the long side for you- unless you are riding a lot of pow or super high speed, one size shorter would be better for you. But it is by no means a major issue - one size up or down really does not make that much of a difference.

Last edited by hktrdr; 01-05-2013 at 10:02 PM.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

The only trouble I have is whipping it back and forth fast enough on diamond runs with moguls. I get exhausted mid run and end up falling. Maybe I just need to do some squats before I hit the mtn. Also buttering, I really can't, I mean I'm still learning how to do them, but it's really tough with how stiff it is for me.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Haha the board being stiff is the reason you cant butter and it does sound like you need a smaller board.
EatMyTracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

I just bought some nike vapens cause my old boots were super loose so hopefully this makes it manageable, if not Ima go forth and put the board on ebay. I just strapped in and I can already notice a huge difference just messing around on the carpet.