Did I make a good choice? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 04:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Did I make a good choice?

I picked up a new board for this season the other day. Spent a lot of time doing research, and picked up the Burton Restricted Nug (2013), 150cm length.

I was riding the K2 Raygun 2012 last year. I'm still a beginner, and it was really getting to me since it felt too big (I picked a 161cm), and the stance forced my feet about an inch or so out of shoulder width at the closest settings which was a pain for me.

I'm 5'10 and fluctuate between 170 and 190 pounds depending on the season for lifting (so during winter I aim to keep around 180).

I was interested in something smaller, I wanted to play around with binding positioning a little more on the slopes & have options to bring the stance width a little closer, and I wanted something that was completely twin-directional in shape and flex (since I'm quite comfortable riding switch & I like a duck stance). I wanted something that I can take everywhere (powder, all-mountain, etc), but I don't want to ride super fast... and I wanted easier less-fatiguing handling overall. I live near Whistler, which is probably the best mountain in the area, and I hear it can be a demanding mountain if you want to make the most of it (which I have yet to do -- funny that I live an hour away but have never gone up to that mountain yet).

What I'm wondering, basically, is the nug seems like it's really (for someone who isn't intending to charge down the mountain faster than anyone else) an all-mountain board -- if I want it to operate that way -- instead of just a park board. Would I be right in saying that? I'll probably do very little park riding, if any at all, but leaving that option open is always nice as well; the main thing I wanted the board for is just having fun on the slopes, making learning fun, and keeping it for at least a couple years or so without really feeling like upgrading. I live so close to so many mountains that snowboarding is something to do all season long, so I'll be getting a fair bit in (used to ski).

After-the-fact questions. The smartest way to do research ;-)
PaulWog is offline   Reply With Quote