Board for East Coast Newb (+ride advice) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board for East Coast Newb (+ride advice)

My Specs
173lbs
6'
EAST COAST RIDER
10.5 US Foot.
I'm intersted in trying a little of everything. The park is intimidating looking at the moment but for good reason. I thought I'd like free ride more than anything but I'm interested in doing some small jumps and tricks eventually.

I've snowboarded twice now. I'm really liking it. First time I was on a Burton LTR board (155cm). By the first day and first lesson. I thought I was doing very well. I was able to control the board decently and stop. At the very last I was able to 180 to switch sides or go all the way around 360. The second day (the day after the lesson)I was on a Burton (V rocker) rental (they knew I was a beginner and thats what they gave me). I didn't have a good day compared to my first. I wasn't able to do anything on my toe side except make a big unstable turn. I was able to do fine on my heel side. I did a lot of leaf falling heel side. After more reading I'm wondering if my heels were lifting on my toe side. I don't recall but I don't know what else I could have been doing wrong. I rented from two different places. Both times burton gear but maybe not the same fit. But it is possible I forgot what I was doing, even though I remembered what the instructor told me.

Anyway I want to get my own board. I've scoped out some boots first (as recommended) I'm almost certain I'm going with the 32 Lashed or 32 Binary Boa (basically a lashed with dual boa). They have a flex of 4-5 respectively. I want to try on a few others and then the 32's again.

I'm not sure what flex binding I should pair with (stick with middle, just like the boot? Get super flexy cause I'm a newb?)

I've been reading and researching trying my best to make an informed decision on a board. Almost the point I've got aggravated by too much information. So far the boards that seem to be recommended are:

2012 K2 Raygun (Good all around board, Not to expensive, Is the "All terrain rocker not so good for the east coast?)

2012 Burton Clash (basicly because this is supposed to be the noodle flex newb board, I'm putting this one in here because I don't know if the nicer boards would be too much of a leap for a beginner)

2012 or 13 GNU Carbon Credit (More park oriented but the lighter park flex may be better because even though I'll be riding all mountain lets face it I'm not going to be blazing down the hill freeride style for a LONG time. The board seems to be highly recommended for east coast conditions)

In general I'm wanting a quality board thats nice enough to keep but I really don't want anything thats going to be too advanced that will hold me up from learning and being discouraged. I like the Carbon Credit because it seems to be a proven board, but is it too much for a beginner?) I love the graphic of the Riders Choice Carbon Credit but I'm guessing that would be way to much board!

So your thoughts would be very helpful. If you want to recommend another board please elaborate why and not because "its the best." Thanks for your input.

Last edited by Fuelrush; 12-21-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Fuelrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 12:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

I've been told the Riders Choice would be a slightly better option than the carbon credit because of the slightly lighter flex. Any thoughts at all from the board?
Old 12-23-2012, 12:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Check out the Never Summer Proto CT. I've never ridden one but the flex rating seems your speed but will grow with you as you get better. Award winning American made board with a 3 year warranty. Great reputation too. Good luck.
Mpjames 09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi Fulerush,

Stoked that you are loving riding!

You are looking at some great products. There is a LOT of misinformation out there about how "advanced" a board is. In most cases the boards that are sold as "advanced" will make riding more fun for even brand new riders. These are the boards that come with a brand's best construction tech and materials. The most popular boards on the market are typically very intuitive and easy to ride at any skill level. When you pay up you often will get a lighter product as well.

For the East Coast you are going to love magnetraction. It is a great benefit for digging in to hardpack and ice. The CC is a rockered deck which is awesome as a play board but for the East Coast I would highly suggest that you look at the RC. Camber Rocker Camber keeps your edges more available to do their thing.

Hope that helps.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Wiredsport can I get ahold of you some how?
Old 12-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Maybe PM me?
Old 12-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelrush View Post
Maybe PM me?
I just sent you my contact info.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote