Camber vs Rocker.. I don't.. notice anything. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Camber vs Rocker.. I don't.. notice anything.

2009 160 (25.4 waist) NeverSummer Heritage (right before rocker, 7.95m sidecut radius)
vs year XX Rossignol Experience 167 25.2 waist (I think)... I think it's a vario 7 front and 10 in the back with magnetraction

I only notice, the increased stiffness, and better leverage (small feet).... maybe the drag of the mtx? (not sure)... the edges were dull.. dull as in, I just bought it used, and they have never been sharpened, vs me going through red/blue/green diamonds after every/every 2 days of riding on the NeverSummer

Should I be noticing anything different? I'd say the main advantages of the board (on hardpack/ice! I have never ridden waist deep powder), was the increased stiffness, longer effective edgelength, but nothing concerning the rocker/camber profile.... maybe I'm numb :P

I think the MTX does drag a bit, but I am not totally sure. I like the board though... a lot, it fits me better.
NoirX252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

Sorry, it's kind of hard to tell which board you're talking about when. Maybe a little more detail.

Meanwhile, I have a Ride Manic (normal camber) and a 2010 Heritage (vario-whatzit). I definitely notice the difference. It's not that one is necessarily better than the other, they just behave differently.

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

What difference do you notice?

My descriptions were in the view of comparing the Rossi to the Neversummer (the rossi is longer, more effect edge, stiffer, and with a smaller waist more form fitting for my smaller feet, but still more accommodating for my weight.. etc).. maybe it's the better f it that's numbing my sense of sensing the rocker vs pure camber....

I'm sure the rossi is way better in powder.. based on what I read about rockers...
Old 12-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I'm pretty sure that they are both traditional camber boards. The mtx has a higher nose profile for better powder float. When you ride a rocker board, if your an intermediate or higher rider, you will know it. The edge hold of a rocker board is horrible compared to camber or hybrid rocker/camber.
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rossignol Jeremy Jones gets a facelift - Snowboard Review

this is the board I have. I really just notice small things. I am normally riding an alpine board, and I forgot to mention, I am also trying out new bindings/boots too, and when comparing them back/forth, I rode the heritage with the old bindings, but with the new boots.... I just noticed a smaller carving radius on the NS, and less leverage on the NS due to my foot size... Honestly all I do 90% of the time is tip it up as high as possible, I'll probably work on other areas of my riding this season.

PS: it seems although the nose is lifted up, when you tilt it past 50ish degrees, the nose engages in for a longer effective edge?
Old 12-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

PS: does anyone know the default edge bevels for this board?
Old 12-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Base and side bevels from factory should be listed in the board specs.
Efilnikufesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Since the Rossi is a rocker-camber-rocker board you're not going to notice much difference from regular camber. It is just a regular camber board but the tips rise a little early to reduce catching and get better float in powder. Get on a Neversummer or Lib Tech with some rocker in the middle and you will notice a drastic difference.

2011 Smokin Buck Ferton 155
2013 Flow NX2-SE
2013 Flow Hylite boa
Burton Stagger pants/jacket
Smith I/O
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Since the Rossi is a rocker-camber-rocker board you're not going to notice much difference from regular camber. It is just a regular camber board but the tips rise a little early to reduce catching and get better float in powder. Get on a Neversummer or Lib Tech with some rocker in the middle and you will notice a drastic difference.
I agree with the above (aka "+1" but this website requires 10 characters).
Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

For me the big difference in feel is when I unweight the board sligtly. On the Ride I still feel like I'm "on" the ends of the board so I have to make sure I tilt to avoid an edge-catch but on the Heritage I feel like I'm balanced on something in the middle of the board. The pivot is different. Also on the Ride, edge engagement and turning are linear, but on the Heritage you get more bite and more turn than you expect as you apply more pressure.

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote