Stomp pads - I just don't get them them. - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 02:03 AM   #21 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

My board is kinda weird, It has like little rectangles of almost a softer version of skate griptape. Almost like little bricks. I like it.
Burton Hero 138cm 2012 Boys Snowboard at Zumiez : PDP
Backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 02:14 AM   #22 (permalink)

I have one and I love it. Really not sure why you find it so upsetting. First world concerns?
lilpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #23 (permalink)
Resident Snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Neversummer Carbonium top sheet FTW!
Indeed. Stomp pads are mostly training wheels. If my first board didn't have one, I might have killed a few people getting off the lift.

A few people I know who do one foot out of the binding tricks like to have a stomp pad as well. For now, I prefer feet in while doing tricks
aiidoneus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #24 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOtherOptions View Post
One of the wisest pieces of advice I ever got when buying a board is worry about how it rides, not how it looks. If you are actually using it, who cares anyway? It should be covered in snow.
Funny, though, the first SERIOUS board I bought (after half a season with my Sports Authority beginner package) was mostly because of how it looked. A now-orphaned Dynastar Karma, made during the one or two years they were sponsoring the Olympic snowboard team. I looked at it and fell in love...and it was and end-of-season markdown from $650 to $275. How could I resist? But I'd only been riding one season...turned out this board was one of the "flagship" serious big mountain boards. Stiff as a piece of granite...so fast, especially compared to my cheap Liquid (K2) beginner, that I nearly shit my pants the first time riding it. But man, it forced me to learn quick! And I felt kewl because everywhere I took it, people would ask me about it. Loved that board. I still have it, but haven't ridden it since I got my Never Summer Titan. The last year they made that one, too. I have a knack for buying one-season models.
surfinsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #25 (permalink)

I like stomp pads...the other day I didn't feel like strapping it just to do one quick green run on the way to the lodge pub, so I did it one foot...stomp pad made all the difference since my top sheet is slick as shit. Do I need it to get off a lift? No... But I like having one the other times you have to ride one foot. I would rather not destroy my knees in a one-foot wipe out and any little bit helps.

Things I think look totally stupid in comparison to a stomp pad:

- tons of stickers (are you sponsered? No?... Then quit that shit)
- giant headphones (in-helmet or in-ear or get lost. You're not spinning vinyl on the hill DJ, you look like an idiot)
- long baggy hoodies, shirts, jackets, etc... Just looks terrible
- GoPro on top of your helmet? You look like a retarded teletubby.. buy a Contour

Opinions are like assholes

Last edited by TorpedoVegas; 12-25-2012 at 09:34 AM.
TorpedoVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpedoVegas View Post
I like stomp pads...the other day I didn't feel like strapping it just to do one quick green run on the way to the lodge pub, so I did it one foot...stomp pad made all the difference since my top sheet is slick as shit. Do I need it to get off a lift? No... But I like having one the other times you have to ride one foot. I would rather not destroy my knees in a one-foot wipe out and any little bit helps.

Things I think look totally stupid in comparison to a stomp pad:

- tons of stickers (are you sponsered? No?... Then quit that shit)
- giant headphones (in-helmet or in-ear or get lost. You're not spinning vinyl on the hill DJ, you look like an idiot)
- long baggy hoodies, shirts, jackets, etc... Just looks terrible
- GoPro on top of your helmet? You look like a retarded teletubby.. buy a Contour

Opinions are like assholes
I agree with the sticker comment.

I have a Sessions Mob Stripe jacket; the collar has pockets on both sides for headphones, like the Skull Candy discs that fit in helmets...add a little 4 watt amp and they kick ass, are invisible, don't get yanked out of your ears, and have a remote for vol and pause/play/skip.

I agree with just about anything regarding the long baggy clothes. Ugh.

But the comment about the GoPro is just stupid. It is a GREAT camera, and just because you like the shape of the Contour, you still have a the protrusion on your helmet. And not everybody uses the GoPro on their helmet, or even on the mountain. Mine has come in damned handy while surfing and diving. The Contour might be all you want/need, but the GoPro still sets the standard. I don't care what it looks like...I can't see it while I'm riding.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #27 (permalink)

I didn't say the GoPro is a bad camera... it's a great camera on the end of a pole, or maybe when your diving or biking, etc.

On the top of your helmet..... looks like ass...end of story

Old 12-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #28 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpedoVegas View Post
I didn't say the GoPro is a bad camera... it's a great camera on the end of a pole, or maybe when your diving or biking, etc.

On the top of your helmet..... looks like ass...end of story

You're way too hung up on how you LOOK. I could give a shit what the GoPro looks like on top of my helmet, I don't see it. I prefer to be able to see the HD vids at the end of day out.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #29 (permalink)

You're missing the whole point. This thread is about stomp pads and the OPs opinion that they are stupid. My point is that lots of things are stupid to different people. I think you look like an idiot with a GoPro on your head, you think I'm stupid for caring how that looks. The whole point of it all is that everyone is entitled to their own opinions and really... who gives a f*ck

sometimes I expect people to dig a little deeper into my comments, but I guess I shouldn't expect much on a internet forum these days
Old 12-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #30 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfinsnow View Post
You're way too hung up on how you LOOK. I could give a shit what the GoPro looks like on top of my helmet, I don't see it. I prefer to be able to see the HD vids at the end of day out.
Admit it teletubby, it's like boarding with a flatscreen TV on your head.

Not to start a debate but from what I've seen most current cameras get the same quality video in back to back comparisons.

The problem is GoPro doesn't HAVE to make it in the deck of cards format, they're doing it now because it's their look. Looks like shit to me...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote