Stomp pads - I just don't get them them. - Page 4 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #31 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #32 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Admit it teletubby, it's like boarding with a flatscreen TV on your head.

Not to start a debate but from what I've seen most current cameras get the same quality video in back to back comparisons.

The problem is GoPro doesn't HAVE to make it in the deck of cards format, they're doing it now because it's their look. Looks like shit to me...
Why would I "admit" that? It's not like that at all because, once again, I don't see it and don't care. You guys sound like typical haters. You probably loved 'em when they first came out, but then when everyone on the mountain had one, you had to move on to solidify how awesome and ahead-of-curve you are.

As for the quality, no, "most" cameras don't have the same quality or options as the GoPro. 3D? WiFi arrays for a group of cameras? Full wide-screen 1080p? It's just a damned good camera, and I've had mine for a couple of years (back when NOT everyone on mountain had one, and people would ooh and ahh and ask me what it was). Now I use it because it still works great, I've upgraded it with a new back and, and I see no reason to piss away my original $300 investment because some assclown is worried that I look like a Teletubby.

You're probably the same people that worry about whether you're wearing the latest pants...again, more concerned about your LOOKS -- or other peoples' looks -- than the riding.
surfinsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #33 (permalink)

You don't care how you look? Of course you do, otherwise you wouldn't need to record yourself in 1080p so you can watch yourself over and over again at a later date. You can't get much more into yourself than that. It's ok to admit that you do care about how you look.... You just have really bad taste, that's a whole different thing.

Oh and when GoPros first came out and everyone was wearing them On their heads, I was the guy who said "that looks completely stupid, I'll wait for someone else to come out with a better option" ....and low and behold.. It didn't take too long.
TorpedoVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #34 (permalink)
Veteran Member

>> Torpedo:

Someday everyone will be as awesome as you! Keep thinkin' that!
surfinsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #35 (permalink)

That was a great come back... Did you already use up "I know you are but what am I" on another thread today?

Oopps I almost forgot... Merry Christmas!
TorpedoVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #36 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I got a dumb question. How do you record yourself with a camera on your head? You bend over and look at your feet and watch it back later? No you record your friends.

I had a friend that thought about getting one of those. I said no thanks as I did not want to watch myself, and I was not going to wear it to record him...

But whatever, record yourselves and sit back and enjoy!
scottb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #37 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb7 View Post
I got a dumb question. How do you record yourself with a camera on your head? You bend over and look at your feet and watch it back later? No you record your friends.

I had a friend that thought about getting one of those. I said no thanks as I did not want to watch myself, and I was not going to wear it to record him...

But whatever, record yourselves and sit back and enjoy!
It is like a Point-of-View camera. The idea is to record what you (the rider) is seeing but being able to play it back in HD anytime after you were actually riding with it. Haven't you seen any GoPro Commercials or any videos?
Backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:00 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpedoVegas View Post
You're missing the whole point. This thread is about stomp pads and the OPs opinion that they are stupid.
Not true. I said they were ugly not stupid. But also questioned if they are that helpful (enough to actually bother sticking one on your board).

My top-sheet offers zero grip but I'm pretty sure that as well as putting my foot against the binding (as mentioned by others) I also hang the toe or heel of my boot (depending on which way I'm urning) very slightly over the edge of the board and that offers a surprising amount of grip. Certainly enough to get off the lift, steer around people and stop ok.

Agree GoPros look dorky on a helmet too btw. I still use one from time to time though... though my beef with them is more that it's actually pretty difficult to get useable footage from them than anything
Slush Puppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #39 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfinsnow View Post
Why would I "admit" that? It's not like that at all because, once again, I don't see it and don't care. You guys sound like typical haters. You probably loved 'em when they first came out, but then when everyone on the mountain had one, you had to move on to solidify how awesome and ahead-of-curve you are.
Bought my Contour last year.

Used it for a year, had some fun, and sold it in the fall. It was a fun novelty but I do enjoy focusing on riding again instead of thinking about what would be good to film.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #40 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
I am way to obsessed about getting in that next gnarly pow line and dont want to fiddle with a camera. Besides, no matter how great the camera, watching it is noting at all like being there in person. Now I do think video is great for doing movement analysis when coaching but I am filming the rider so they can visually see what I am seeing when we do MA at the end of the session.
Yeah I think the best footage I got with my contour (other than when I took it snorkelling) was when I trailed my GF to get a video of her progression:

Main thing is the video's look nothing like what it's really like. And that's mostly due to the wide angle lens. I'm looking at getting a chest strap for my DSLR so that I can take good photos and vids on the hill from a stationary position. I'll miss the "chase cam" style vids from the helmet cam, but the DSLR will take WAYYYYYYY better photos and vid.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote