Un-even hot wax? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Un-even hot wax?

i just waxed my snowboard for the first time, brand new never summer sl, and i feel as if i almost unevenly hot waxed it? should i go over with another hot wax or will it be fine the way it is.
kyled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

did you fully scrape it?
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bseracka View Post
did you fully scrape it?
yeap scraped it all off, took bout 45 mins lmao and then went over it with something that's like a scotchbright
kyled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
tdn
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Your board was even prior to waxing I assume. You then put some wax on there, scraped it off and now it's un even? If that is the case, you need to continue scraping.

edit: Technically, you could also continue polishing it until it is even. You just want to take every bit off wax off as possible to make polishing easier. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I have my own technique I use involving a few brushes as well and it's served me fantastically.

Last edited by tdn; 12-23-2012 at 05:53 PM.
tdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

One quick tip that made all the diference for me, when you scrape it, make sure you use pulling motion with 45deg angle instead of pushing. That way you wont pull any of the wax out of the base.
Esmi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You need to scrape some more like everyone is saying. When you hot wax the board you are opening the holes in the board so they can hold wax. Just keep scraping and scraping till it is even and then polish and brush it. Here is a good video that Snowolf made on youtube it is a three parter just skip to the end if you want.
readimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
tdn
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmi99 View Post
One quick tip that made all the diference for me, when you scrape it, make sure you use pulling motion with 45deg angle instead of pushing. That way you wont pull any of the wax out of the base.
I'll have to disagree. You want to remove as much wax as possible. From my understanding, wax is absorbed into the base, anything that can be removed with a scraper does not at all affect the wax absorbed into the base. You want to remove ALL of the wax your scraper can possible remove - all of course without gauging the base.

I can't remember who says this on here, but "Scrape, and keep scraping. Then when you're done, scrape some more". To the OP, your first few times will seem daunting, but grab a beer or a joint, and get into it. You'll get much faster and efficient over time.

If anything I've said is wrong, anyone, please correct me. As I mentioned above, my technique has worked amazingly for me compared to friends and shops. So I'm pretty confident in it, but doesn't mean that there isn't a better way.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

In all the "how-to" videos it says to pull instead of pushing when waxing a board. But I don't know.
Backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
tdn
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Ah.. that ones my fault.

Yeah, they're right, definitely use a 45 degree angle to pull with. Technically you could push with a 45 degree angle but you run the big risk of damaging the base of the board, hence removing the wax from the structure. So yeah, I kind of misread your post Esmi99, my bad.

Last edited by tdn; 12-23-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah the way i understand the mechanics of it all, when you pull, you take away a small layer at a time. And if you push, you might pull big chunks of wax, sometimes leaving the base naked including the absorbed part, especially with more brittle, lower temp waxes.

In any case, this small detail made my wax jobs way better, and it is often overlooked, especially given that pushing is a lot easier and quicker.
Esmi99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot wax snowboard