Girl on a Jones Flagship - good idea? - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #21 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

I need to send some people to this thread! By all calculations most people would tell you that board is 10 cm to big, and much too stiff for you, yet it's obviously working for you!

This is just further encouragement for people to not be scared by longer and stiffer boards, as long as they've got the experience to back it up.

Good show!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #22 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
I need to send some people to this thread! By all calculations most people would tell you that board is 10 cm to big, and much too stiff for you, yet it's obviously working for you!

This is just further encouragement for people to not be scared by longer and stiffer boards, as long as they've got the experience to back it up.

Good show!
A board is a board is a board

End of the day it is how you interact with the board.

Not what the designer intended.

Just look at the dude who uses a fish in competitions.
In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real.
binarypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #23 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:

Good show!
After riding the flagship for some weeks now, I don't get the point about the size/stiffness topic anymore. It's very responsive and easy to control. It shure is a bit of work in moguls but in the end - isn't it a sport and supposed to be some exercise? You get rewarded with a lot of stability. If you don't want to have this hard work, you can simply ride over them: the nose of the flagship floats easily over those nasty afternoon moguls without the danger of getting the nose dug in and make an unintended loop.

This feeling of secureness can't only arise from an over all improoving riding ability 'cause from one week to the other I suddenly was able to make the fastest and tightest turns ever, dared to shoot down the always icy parts of the tracks and even to take (very tiny) natural jumps I always avoided; just by changing to the (bigger/stiffer) Flagship. This board certainly pushed my riding to a complete new level. I never felt that secure and in charge on a board. It's almost as if it hushes "no worries mate, we'll handle that, just go wherever however you intend!"

I'd realy suggest to everyone hesitating whether or not to get such a board: give it a try and check how it feels like for you. I was struggling a lot after reading this and that. But now it is me getting on my mens nerves by wanting to go boarding as soon and early as possible, no matter how nasty the weather forecast, 'cause now I don't only like boarding - I love it

P.S. it can be a big advantage to be a light-weight on a big board. We got huge amounts of pow again. The guys got stuck in the fluffy stuff at flatter parts where I still was floating

Last edited by neni; 07-23-2013 at 06:09 PM. Reason: some pics were lost...
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #24 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post
After riding the flagship for some weeks now, I don't get the point about the size/stiffness topic anymore.
Sweet! Yeah my GF just tried her Prior Brandywine out yesterday. It's 4 cm longer and 1 cm wider than her old board, and much stiffer. It's priors ladys Freeride board and they're a company that makes alpine boards and big mountain boards.

She loved it! I got some good video of her carving better than she's ever carved before.

She went from a mid-flex budget camber board (the K2 Luna), to a much stiffer board. So far so good...
Old 02-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #25 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

Quote:
But now it is me getting on my mens nerves by wanting to go boarding as soon and early as possible, no matter how nasty the weather forecast, 'cause now I don't only like boarding - I love it
If this gets on his nerves, he needs a good slap!

In retrospect, "Let's get the goat drunk"
should have been my cue to leave the party.
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #26 (permalink)

Don' t forget Neni my outstanding advice to you All your points are so true, people hesitate too much and overwhelm themselves with information overload. I'm so happy you like your board and thanks for the pictures. Our So Cal. mountains just received 12-18" of fresh snow. Hopefully you can visit the USA and try our mountains. It's not the Alps, though I'm sure you would be stoked over here. Best of luck
Mpjames 09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #27 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
She went from a mid-flex budget camber board (the K2 Luna), to a much stiffer board. So far so good...
I hope, she is/gets as euphoric as me and you both have a great winter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
If this gets on his nerves, he needs a good slap!
The slap is the second choice, right after coffee didn't do the trick It's always the same... till feb. you think the season will last forever, look out of the window (2nd pic) and think naaaahw, it's foggy, let's sleep in - and then suddenly, you can count the lasting weekends on two hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpjames 09 View Post
Don' t forget Neni my outstanding advice to you All your points are so true, people hesitate too much and overwhelm themselves with information overload. I'm so happy you like your board and thanks for the pictures. Our So Cal. mountains just received 12-18" of fresh snow. Hopefully you can visit the USA and try our mountains. It's not the Alps, though I'm sure you would be stoked over here. Best of luck
Yea, it realy was you giving me the last kick thanks!
Actually, I was making the suggestion of snowboarding vacations in the USA or Canada only days ago. The alps are great, but the easy accessible parts are also quite crowded. Just wanted to look up for some ideas and information here. I'm dreaming of my "own virgin fluff slope"

Last edited by neni; 02-11-2013 at 02:26 PM.
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #28 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
After riding the flagship for some weeks now, I don't get the point about the size/stiffness topic anymore. It's very responsive and easy to control. It shure is a bit of work in moguls but in the end - is't it a sport and supposed to be some exercise? You get rewarded with a lot of stability. If you don't want to have this hard work, you can simply ride over them: the nose of the flagship floats easily over those nasty afternoon moguls without the danger of getting the nose dug in and make an unintended loop.

This feeling of secureness can't only arise from an over all improoving riding ability 'cause from one week to the other I suddenly was able to make the fastest and tightest turns ever, dared to shoot down the always icy parts of the tracks and even to take (very tiny) natural jumps I always avoided; just by changing from the (bigger/stiffer) Flagship. This board certainly pushed my riding to a complete new level. I never felt that secure and in charge on a board. It's almost as if it hushes "no worries mate, we'll handle that, just go wherever however you intend!"

I'd realy suggest to everyone hesitating whether or not to get such a board: give it a try and check how it feels like for you. I was struggling a lot after reading this and that. But now it is me getting on my mens nerves by wanting to go boarding as soon and early as possible, no matter how nasty the weather forecast, 'cause now I don't only like boarding - I love it

P.S. it can be a big advantage to be a light-weight on a big board. We got huge amounts of pow again. The guys got stuck in the fluffy stuff at flatter parts where I still was floating

You didn't mention tight trees or chutes. Have you taken the board out in those places? That is generally where people run into issues with big boards
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #29 (permalink)

Yes, please come here. I would recommend Salt Lake City Utah and Lake Tahoe California. Both of these places are very close to major international airports. They are also perfect base camps to explore dozens of kick ass mountains within a 30 minute drive. Of course Canada is sick, but as far as convenience and the ability to visit several sick mountains, it's hard to top those two cities I mentioned above. Good luck.
Mpjames 09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #30 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Actually, I was making the suggestion of snowboarding vacations in the USA or Canada only days ago. The alps are great, but the easy accessible parts are also quite crowded. Just wanted to look up for some ideas and information here. I'm dreaming of my "own virgin fluff slope"
The Alberta/BC rockies are pretty damn good. Almost any type of terrain you could ever want, light fluffy snow, and not crowded at all compared to the bigger resort towns...