Girl on a Jones Flagship - good idea? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Default Girl on a Jones Flagship - good idea?

Hello everybody
I’m new here and I hope, there’s someone who can give me an advice if buying a Jones Flagship 158 with Ride Fame bindings is a good idea (please excuse my language; I’m German speaking and not convenient with snowboarding slang).

Short info:
Female
5'8 and 123 lbs
33 y
Boot size 6.5

My last board was a Palmer Liberty Carbon 157 and I loved this board! It’s so straight, never chattery, no matter how fast you go. Like a freight-train, always keeping its track. But it was not very agile in powder (I had to lean back a lot to avoid sinking in) thus I'm looking for a board as straight as the Liberty Carbon but more suitable for backcountry.

At a Nidecker test day, they gave me several girls’ boards which I all brought back immediately after one ride: too soft and far too chattery. He then gave me the Jones Flagship 158 which I found incredibly agile an easy to handle. It was big fun to go straight the entire slope and no chatter at all! So I was thinking of buying it. BUT it was a beautiful spring day with soft snow – no ice at all. After reading several reviews about this board I got somehow intimidated… all this remarks about its stiffness and that it is only a board for experienced riders… Furthermore, I’m 123 lbs... Will I be able to ride this board or will it be riding me?

My background: since 10 years, I'm riding with a bunch of guys every winter weekend in a resort in the Alps, well known for its steep slopes and many backcountry opportunities. They began snowboarding when the first boards came on the market, ride very fast and always have the board under control. They put me on an old Custom X and said: now learn to handle it and try to keep up. Nowadays I manage to stick to their tails. I can handle all conditions, all types of steep slopes and I learned to love to ride fast. But compared with the guys, I still (and always will) feel like a beginner I still leave out the crazy things like breaking each others speed records and I still can get a bit chickenshit as soon as it comes to harsh conditions (icy slopes). I really rely on a board with good edgehold on icy conditions.

Thanks for your replies!

Edit: Bought a Flagship 158. Impressions on page #3

Last edited by neni; 04-20-2013 at 08:17 AM.
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I think that board will be a little bit of work at 120lbs.

Depending your skill level it could be manageable...

I would suggest you take a look at the Mothership 156 if it is in budget:

The Mothership
In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real.
binarypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Resident poet

I'd say its a bit big for your weight, but some gals like them big . Last week met a shredder gal that had been riding 15+ years that had a 159 billygoat and loves it...she was about your size but may be 140 lbs and know of another woman that's 50 yrs old with at least 20 years riding that is riding a billy. My daughter is 5'4" and 125 and rides a 155 cambered for deep pow. So ride what you like.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

I'm a bit reluctant with smaller boards. Some years ago I had a Custom 147. Nice on groomers but hell in powder, and also chattery at high speeds. I then decided to get a longer board: the 157 Liberty Carbon (yes, my whole experience with boards comes down to two new own models). But this opinion of longer=more stable might be out-dated cause technology improved a lot the last years, I reckon.
The other thing are the stands: I tried a lot of angles and distances and now ride my 157 Liberty Carbon with +30/+15 in the most outer stands. Don’t ask me why… I simply felt most comfortable like that (comfortable=most in charge). But I’m always open to learn

Last edited by neni; 09-14-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post
I'm a bit reluctant with smaller boards. Some years ago I had a CustomX 147. Nice on groomers but hell in powder, and also chattery at high speeds. I then decided to get a longer board: the 157 Liberty Carbon (yes, my whole experience with boards comes down to two models). But this opinion of longer=more stable might be out-dated cause technology improved a lot the last years, I reckon.
The other thing are the stands: I tried a lot of angles and distances and now ride my 157 Liberty Carbon with 15/5 in the most outer stands. Dont ask me why I simply felt most comfortable like that (comfortable=most in charge). But Im always open to learn
Looking at the specs (below) the 156 Mothership and 158 Flagship are very similar boards if you are just looking at the numbers.

I think the only difference you'll see is how stiff the board is.

Oh and colors.

Mothership:

Flagship:
In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real.
binarypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

You said you loved how the Flagship rode, so go with your gut and buy it. I would recommend not getting the Carbon version. It is a very forgiving and easy to ride board. Go get it and be stoked with it. Good luck.
Mpjames 09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpjames 09 View Post
You said you loved how the Flagship rode, so go with your gut and buy it. I would recommend not getting the Carbon version. It is a very forgiving and easy to ride board. Go get it and be stoked with it. Good luck.
Thanks for this short and simple answer. You seem to know the board and your right, I'll trust my first impression and hesitate no longer.
I'm just comming from the shop and packing the car with my brandnew flagship 158

We had a lot of snowfall the last days and the forecast anounces sunshine for the rest of this year, so my guts said: go an get it - now!
Can't wait to be in the mountains tomorrow
Old 12-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

Awesome!! Have a great winter, I hope the Alps get pounded like last year. Also, don't be so modest, after 10 years I'm sure you kick ass on the mountain. Good luck
Mpjames 09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:

So are you recommending the Flagship or Carbon Flagship?
ARSENALFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Rooster King

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSENALFAN View Post
So are you recommending the Flagship or Carbon Flagship?
reading comprehension FAIL!
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote