Some input on board and size - Cobra X vs Skunk Ape - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Some input on board and size - Cobra X vs Skunk Ape

I was hoping to get a few opinions from some people on a new board and size.

Currently ride a 166 Legacy and love it. I'm 6'2," 250lbs, size 12 boot. Looking to lose some weight, but let's just go off 250lbs for now.

Been riding for about 19-20 years now and mainly focus on powder, steep terrain, groomers, trees and jumps. Don't do rails or hang out in the park. Also love to ride switch down runs.

Looking at either grabbing the Cobra X or Skunk Ape HP and was wanting to go with a shorter length like 161 if my weight would allow it. The 166 isn't the easiest stick to work with in the trees and moguls and would like a different board to choose from.

I was also thinking about a Heritage X as well but the Cobra seems to be more fun.

Get out about 40-50 days a season up at Big Sky, MT so another option would be nice. Also I love the durability of the Never Summer and I'm worried a Lib won't hold up as well. I could be completely wrong, I've just never owned a Lib before.

Thoughts?

All input is appreciated. Thanks.
bozekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

My thoughts? Stick with the 166 Legacy until you figure out what weight you're going to settle in at. A 166 isn't too much board for your size in the least.

If you're looking to go shorter though, the Cobra is a good bet due to it's blunted tips. It let's you go shorter while not giving up effective edge length.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Im kind of in the same boat as you. Im 6'0 245 Size 12 foot and I've been riding a Burton Canyon 173 since 2003. Im also looking at getting a shorter wide board. Riding that 173 was rock solid bombing down a black and floated like butter over pow. But in the trees or moguls, forget about it! Im looking at the Custom X and the Lib Tech Skunk ape. I havent gotten many folks to respond but the ones that did have me leaning to the Skunk Ape 165 but Im just worried that they thought the Custom X 164 was more expensive. Ill keep an eye on your thread and mine. Hopefully someone will chime in. Im looking to pull the trigger today. I think the lib tech is going for about $556.
retsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for your thoughts linvillegorge. I was just worried if my current weight would allow for a shorter board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retsam View Post
Im kind of in the same boat as you. Im 6'0 245 Size 12 foot and I've been riding a Burton Canyon 173 since 2003. Im also looking at getting a shorter wide board. Riding that 173 was rock solid bombing down a black and floated like butter over pow. But in the trees or moguls, forget about it! Im looking at the Custom X and the Lib Tech Skunk ape. I havent gotten many folks to respond but the ones that did have me leaning to the Skunk Ape 165 but Im just worried that they thought the Custom X 164 was more expensive. Ill keep an eye on your thread and mine. Hopefully someone will chime in. Im looking to pull the trigger today. I think the lib tech is going for about $556.
Damn that 173 must be brutal in trees and moguls. Good to know someone else is having trouble deciding. Either way I want to get another board. I was hoping to go shorter, but if not, it's not a deal breaker. I would like to get something a bit stiffer which is why I was considering the Cobra, Heritage and Skunk Ape Horsepower. Also when my brother visits from back east it's nice to have a good board for him to ride instead of renting crap. Let me know if you pull the trigger on one today. Interested to see which way you go. Thanks restam.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up Snagged the Skunk Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozekid View Post
Thanks for your thoughts linvillegorge. I was just worried if my current weight would allow for a shorter board.

Damn that 173 must be brutal in trees and moguls. Good to know someone else is having trouble deciding. Either way I want to get another board. I was hoping to go shorter, but if not, it's not a deal breaker. I would like to get something a bit stiffer which is why I was considering the Cobra, Heritage and Skunk Ape Horsepower. Also when my brother visits from back east it's nice to have a good board for him to ride instead of renting crap. Let me know if you pull the trigger on one today. Interested to see which way you go. Thanks restam.
Finally sucked it up and made a decision and snagged the Skunk Ape 165. Right now my whole set up is the Lib Tech Skunk Ape 165W, Flow NX2 SE, K2 Maysis BOA Boots. If you go for the Skuk Ape and cant find one for less than $559, call the company selling it and ask if they can give you a better price. Right now you can get them brand new on ebay for $498 + shipping (sale).

Good luck!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks retsam. I hope the skunk ape works out great for you. Curious to know what your thoughts are after riding it.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozekid View Post
Thanks retsam. I hope the skunk ape works out great for you. Curious to know what your thoughts are after riding it.
I will report back for sure! Keep in mind though that Im going from wearing some concrete block weight Flow boots and a 173 Burton Canyon board to some nice light weight K2 Maysis boots and a 165 Ape. I think ANYTHING is going to be gold if you ask me.