NeverSummer SL? You Tell Me! - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
With the blunted tips, the contact points are moved further out. The contact points on the Proto are much closer to the tips than on a non-blunted board, so your effective edge length is longer than comparably sized boards.

Compare this:

To my non-blunted Evo:

Not the best pics to demonstrate the difference, but hopefully you can get the point from them. But, I laid my 158 Evo beside snowklingers 153 Proto and they were virtually identical length contact point to contact point.
Ahh I see. The blunt shape pushes the edges out as opposed to the metal edges of a thinner board being in the air.
chatyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

Is the proto a heavier board? I'm not sure how to compare it to one I have now. Never having ridden a NS board, I have heard they are "heavier", but compared to what I don't know. Looks like a solid ride though.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Carbonium boards are quite a bit lighter than the NS boards of old. Never SUmmer's used to be among the heaviest boards out there. That's no longer true. Most of the boards are average weight compared to other brands and the Cobra in particular is shockingly light in my experience. I've spent less time on the Proto than the Cobra, but I plan on changing that soon. The Proto will probably be my next board. Probably gonna sell my Evo and Heritage and just go with the Proto.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure the 154 proto has the equivalent effective edge to the 156 SL (or whatever the wide version is called) you can look up the stats on the site if you really want.

The Proto does feel lighter than the Sl in the hand. with bindings, boots and on your feet you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference.

You would probably feel the difference in dampness if you rode some lumpy snow on one then swapped to the other, if you pick one and ride it. I suspect they'd be too close to wish you had the other.

Buttering etc, both fine no problem. Though more effort than the Evo for sure though.

Power, both fine. Apart from 1 day where the power seemed really sticky and it was hard work (on the SL) all other pow days on both proto and SL have been zero effort. (though switch pow riding on the SL is more difficult (but still doable) - assuming you retain the standard setback).

Sl slightly better for freeriding and fast piste. Proto slightly better for playing. I believe the sidecut is slightly narrower radius on the Proto, so tight turns are slightly more it's things than drawn out ones. But you're talking nuances only. I'd suggest going with the one you like the look of more if you can't try them.
Slush Puppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatyak View Post
Iíve been riding for about 12-13 years. Started in 1999-2000ish. I can handle a variety of terrain. I am 90% riding around the mountain and 10% doing tricks off of natural features. I donít do the park anymore really Ė maybe a lap or two through it as I cruise around.

I am on the east coast and ride mainly hard packed snow .... man made snow (errr....ice), etc.. I do however take trips out west and when I do, I want to be able to ride the powder without struggling or nosediving. In fact I need a new board because I'm headed to Whistler in a few weeks.

Well the board I have had for a few years is a traditional camber Ė and thatís where my problem is.

Iíve always ridden a camber board Ė but I hit a rail at the end of last year and it broke the top sheet up off my board. Iíve read reviews where people had a hard time adjusting to camber/rocker/camber like Never Summer has. Iím just wondering what you think would be a good board for me?

I am 5'11 / 139 lbs, goofy stance.

I am seriously considering buying a NeverSummer SL. Is this the right board?

I want something that is:

Stable at high speed
Good on hard pack
Playful - because I do like to butter around while I ride, switch, press while riding, etc..
Good for powder (for trips out west) - no nosediving!

In short, I am more all mountain than just the terrain park. I like to hit natural features and be playful - all the while staying on runs. I don't know whether to go with the SL or the Proto or the Heritage or the Cobra... I don't care too much about graphics... obviously no pink fairies on the board... but the ride of the board is more important. I rather have a huge smile on my face as a graphic because the board rocks, versus some cool art photo on it.

Thank you!
I'm 5'9 150 lbs. I own the Proto 154 and the SL 155 and ride in Lake Tahoe. I say go with the SL 153 - it is noticeably more damp than the Proto. The blunted tips do give the Proto a tiny bit (1-2cm) more effective edge with respect to the overall running length - but it's about a 1-2% difference (compared to compared to something like the Virus FLP AFT which has like 15 cm more effective edge).

A 155 is fine as well - I was 140 lbs when I got my first SL 155 cm and I rode it in the park all the time. The difference are subtle (I prefer the 155 myself, but I like slightly longer boards).

A few clips of me riding the SL 155

Not the best technique, but you get an idea of the dampness and edgehold, it is more difficult to do this on the Proto

I'm at 0:48s

I'm not the best at boxes

Last edited by lonerider; 12-26-2012 at 07:45 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #16 (permalink)

This is a really tough decision. I was thinking the SL... then after this thread I thought the proto... now I'm not sure.

A store I contacted has the Proto in 154. I could also get the SL in 153 or 155.

I was thinking of combining these with Burton Genesis Reflex bindings. What do you think? I wanted the smooth, comfy ride, but with a playful ability for 180s, butters, goofiness etc.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Member

From your description it screams SL. But the Proto is so hyped and sexy it makes you want one. Freeride/freestyle describes the SL.

But CarBONERum is pretty cool.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatyak View Post
This is a really tough decision. I was thinking the SL... then after this thread I thought the proto... now I'm not sure.

A store I contacted has the Proto in 154. I could also get the SL in 153 or 155.

I was thinking of combining these with Burton Genesis Reflex bindings. What do you think? I wanted the smooth, comfy ride, but with a playful ability for 180s, butters, goofiness etc.
That what you get when you ask a bunch of Proto owners what board to get . they are psychologically biased to suggest their own board to justify their own purchase (even when it is not necessary ). Proto is a great board, just in my opinion it is not the best match for you.

Last edited by lonerider; 12-26-2012 at 09:14 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #19 (permalink)

The plus side here is with either board you will be happy.

I have both the Proto (157) and the SL (155) and love them both. Others have provided some points on the differences between the two but I do really think they are small nuances vs. major differences.

To me, the SL does feel more damp and handles speed a bit better. The problem with that statement is... the Proto is nice and damp, and fine at speed too! The Proto is a lot of fun to play on. It is not a "park board" noodle for sure but still a blast to ride. The problem with that statement is... it wasn't like I was bored riding my SL before getting the Proto.

So yea, with either board you will be happy but I do tend to agree with lonerider that based upon what you've said the SL wins it by a hair.
MeanJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #20 (permalink)

I am gonna agree with Lonerider on this and recommend the SL. I've owned the SL, Heritage and now ride a Cobra. The SL is a fantastic deck that is good on groomers with great edge hold while being ok in powder and still playful.

I demoed a proto last year and it was a good deck but not as damp as the SL and more freestyle oriented.

If your looking for all mountain/freestyle = SL if you want freestyle/all mountain = proto.
Chef Jer is offline   Reply With Quote