NeverSummer SL? You Tell Me! - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #21 (permalink)

Crap - forgot to add a comment about bindings...

SL = Burton C02s: I like a firmer binding on this board so I can really crank on it at speed and get that responsiveness.

Proto = Burton Prophecy (Re:Flex): I went with a softer binding with more flex/board feel for the Proto. I like them a lot but sometimes I miss the better responsiveness of the C02s. I think that is just personal preference and riding style.
MeanJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #22 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanJoe View Post
Crap - forgot to add a comment about bindings...

SL = Burton C02s: I like a firmer binding on this board so I can really crank on it at speed and get that responsiveness.

Proto = Burton Prophecy (Re:Flex): I went with a softer binding with more flex/board feel for the Proto. I like them a lot but sometimes I miss the better responsiveness of the C02s. I think that is just personal preference and riding style.
I also personally like a more responsive binding ... I had a pair of Rome 390 BOSS on my Proto and a pair of Burton CO2 Re:Flex on my SL... but at the end of last season, I switched the CO2 onto my Proto and I like that setup better. I sold the 390s and just picked up a pair of FLOW NX2-AT that I haven't tried out yet (man... if you had asked me 5, 10 years ago if I would ever get a pair of Flows). Hopefully, I'll like them... (else they'll be going back to Backcountry.com).
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
(man... if you had asked me 5, 10 years ago if I would ever get a pair of Flows)
That made me laugh. I've never given Flow bindings any serious consideration in all the years I've been riding but... this last few months I keep eye-balling them every time I'm in my local shop. I get all wunder-lusty and almost reach for my credit card when I snap myself out of it with a "But...but...they're FLOWS for God's sakes!".

I might switch my C02's onto the Proto this weekend and see how much of a difference it makes in the board's handling.

MeanJoe
MeanJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
Veteran Member

To the OP have ridden both boards and I say for your needs go proto.

The difference is small, but the proto is lighter and the blunted tips are a bonus IMO, longer effective edge and better for spinning as well.

The SL may be very slightly damper which is really the only plus point IMO.

At the end of the day they are quite similar and you will enjoy either.
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreampow View Post

At the end of the day they are quite similar and you will enjoy either.
Well said.
Chef Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:44 PM   #26 (permalink)

Cool clips of riding. Skill doesn't matter - remember that. Snowboarding is so much more. Those who rip on other people because they can't throw a switch cork 1080 are simply either 14 or have yet to grow up.

It was hard to tell the dampness of the riding except for the first vid - it looked really smooth and solid. Then again... Lake Tahoe is awesome compared to my local hill... err bump.

Am I missing out on the Carbonium topsheet? I wish the SL had that look. The stance of the SL is also slightly set back compared to the Proto though.... this would probably help for trips out west...

The shop only has 1 proto left and a couple SL's. Maybe I can demo both in the same day and see. That's if no one buys the proto in a couple weeks... or the SL size I want.

Last edited by chatyak; 12-26-2012 at 11:55 PM.
chatyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:12 AM   #27 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatyak View Post
Cool clips of riding. Skill doesn't matter - remember that. Snowboarding is so much more. Those who rip on other people because they can't throw a switch cork 1080 are simply either 14 or have yet to grow up.

It was hard to tell the dampness of the riding except for the first vid - it looked really smooth and solid. Then again... Lake Tahoe is awesome compared to my local hill... err bump.

Am I missing out on the Carbonium topsheet? I wish the SL had that look. The stance of the SL is also slightly set back compared to the Proto though.... this would probably help for trips out west...

The shop only has 1 proto left and a couple SL's. Maybe I can demo both in the same day and see. That's if no one buys the proto in a couple weeks... or the SL size I want.
Yea, the first clip was to show the dampness and edgehold, the other two clips were to show that an SL can still be playful.

Demo'ing is definitely the best way to find the best match for you. That is going to be better than any random stranger's advice on the internet.

The Carbonium topsheet is a fun, but not a must have in my opinion. If you are riding smaller hills at slower speeds you might not miss the dampness of the SL (I would but that's my opinion). The Cobra is about the same as the SL in dampness AND has a carbonium topsheet, but is slightly more directional (I read that you didn't want the Cobra for some reason... but I forgot exactly why). Again, based on what you do... the SL or the Cobra.

Last edited by lonerider; 12-27-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:49 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
Yea, the first clip was to show the dampness and edgehold, the other two clips were to show that an SL can still be playful.

Demo'ing is definitely the best way to find the best match for you. That is going to be better than any random stranger's advice on the internet.

The Carbonium topsheet is a fun, but not a must have in my opinion. If you are riding smaller hills at slower speeds you might not miss the dampness of the SL (I would but that's my opinion). The Cobra is about the same as the SL in dampness AND has a carbonium topsheet, but is slightly more directional (I read that you didn't want the Cobra for some reason... but I forgot exactly why). Again, based on what you do... the SL or the Cobra.

Hmm don't remember saying that about the Cobra. I have considered it - but I don't remember why I shyed away from it. Maybe not as freestyle friendly as the SL due to it being more stiff in the flex.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:01 AM   #29 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatyak View Post
Hmm don't remember saying that about the Cobra. I have considered it - but I don't remember why I shyed away from it. Maybe not as freestyle friendly as the SL due to it being more stiff in the flex.
From my understanding the Cobra is barely stiffer in flex than the SL - far far more playful than say the Heritage (which is more of a twinish shape AND has a carbonium topsheet).

No one can make the final decision for you... I suggest you pick the top two things you do most often and get the board that matches that the best. This is what I think each board is designed for... (although I haven't ridden the Cobra).

SL - freeride (dampness) and freestyle (twinish shape), minor setback makes it decent for powder riding

Cobra - freeriding (dampness, stable) and powder (directional shape) and a tiny bit of freestyling (still soft enough to be playful). and switch riding (according to Snowolf)

Proto - freestyle with some mellow freeriding (lack of dampness becomes an issue when the snow isn't fresh and/or not well groomed) - it is ok in powder, but worse than the other two model because of its blunted tips and true twin shape. This board is obviously the most playful of the three.

Last edited by lonerider; 12-27-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:18 AM   #30 (permalink)

Leaning much towards the SL because of the snow issue and where I mainly ride. As a powder stick-all terrain / playful board.. I think the SL will suit me for east coast riding with the odd trip to the west for some mountain riding. Whatever it is, I hope it will suit me better than my current board which has an almost-see through base and a topsheet of wood splintering up 4 inches lol

Now I have a problem with bindings... Here's the thread

Last edited by chatyak; 12-27-2012 at 04:21 AM.