NeverSummer SL? You Tell Me! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question NeverSummer SL? You Tell Me!

I’ve been riding for about 12-13 years. Started in 1999-2000ish. I can handle a variety of terrain. I am 90% riding around the mountain and 10% doing tricks off of natural features. I don’t do the park anymore really – maybe a lap or two through it as I cruise around.

I am on the east coast and ride mainly hard packed snow .... man made snow (errr....ice), etc.. I do however take trips out west and when I do, I want to be able to ride the powder without struggling or nosediving. In fact I need a new board because I'm headed to Whistler in a few weeks.

Well the board I have had for a few years is a traditional camber – and that’s where my problem is.

I’ve always ridden a camber board – but I hit a rail at the end of last year and it broke the top sheet up off my board. I’ve read reviews where people had a hard time adjusting to camber/rocker/camber like Never Summer has. I’m just wondering what you think would be a good board for me?

I am 5'11 / 139 lbs, goofy stance.

I am seriously considering buying a NeverSummer SL. Is this the right board?

I want something that is:

Stable at high speed
Good on hard pack
Playful - because I do like to butter around while I ride, switch, press while riding, etc..
Good for powder (for trips out west) - no nosediving!

In short, I am more all mountain than just the terrain park. I like to hit natural features and be playful - all the while staying on runs. I don't know whether to go with the SL or the Proto or the Heritage or the Cobra... I don't care too much about graphics... obviously no pink fairies on the board... but the ride of the board is more important. I rather have a huge smile on my face as a graphic because the board rocks, versus some cool art photo on it.

Thank you!

Last edited by chatyak; 12-26-2012 at 02:55 PM.
chatyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Personally, I'd go Proto. Decent float in powder, blunted tips mean you can downsize without giving up effective edge length, and similar flex profile to the SL - not too stiff to play and not too soft to bomb.

The Cobra doesn't make much sense for you if the majority of your riding is on the east coast. It's basically a playful powder stick. Sucks for riding switch and I found it to be twitchy on groomers.

The Heritage is a great board, but again, for primarily east coast riding, I think it's just too much stick.

The SL is a great all-around board, but I prefer the blunted tips of the Proto. IMHO, the Proto pretty much made the SL all but obsolete.

If you really want a great powder performer, you can always demo a true pow stick when you go out west if you get lucky and get a truly deep powder day.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
Personally, I'd go Proto. Decent float in powder, blunted tips mean you can downsize without giving up effective edge length, and similar flex profile to the SL - not too stiff to play and not too soft to bomb.

The Cobra doesn't make much sense for you if the majority of your riding is on the east coast. It's basically a playful powder stick. Sucks for riding switch and I found it to be twitchy on groomers.

The Heritage is a great board, but again, for primarily east coast riding, I think it's just too much stick.

The SL is a great all-around board, but I prefer the blunted tips of the Proto. IMHO, the Proto pretty much made the SL all but obsolete.

If you really want a great powder performer, you can always demo a true pow stick when you go out west if you get lucky and get a truly deep powder day.
Thanks for the opinions. I read that the Proto has dampness rating similar to the EVO - which was less than the SL and heritage. Do you think this is really noticeable? Will a dampness of "4" be that much different than one of "5" on the SL?

So essentially, the Proto is an SL, with a notch down on the dampness, and blunted tips for reduced weight?

Also - what do you mean by too much stick for the Heritage ( in regards to east coast )... too damp/heavy/stiff?

I only do this every few years and my head is spinning. Especially due to all the new stuff out there.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You gotta remember, each manufacturer makes their own scale. That means that it's a "4" in dampness in terms of the NS lineup.

ALL NS boards are pretty damn damp.

The Heritage just loves to point and bomb. Similar to the Cobra basically being a playful pow stick, the Heritage is basically a playful bomber. That board would just be getting warmed up on each run back east as you were easing back into the lift line.

Last edited by linvillegorge; 12-26-2012 at 03:14 PM.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
You gotta remember, each manufacturer makes their own scale. That means that it's a "4" in dampness in terms of the NS lineup.

ALL NS boards are pretty damn damp.

The Heritage just loves to point and bomb. Similar to the Cobra basically being a playful pow stick, the Heritage is basically a playful bomber. That board would just be getting warmed up on each run back east as you were easing back into the lift line.
That's a good point. For some reason when I looked at the dampness scale - I assumed industry standard, my mistake.

So the cobra is out - the heritage is out... leaves with me the Sl and Proto. Would I be able to go with a 153 and not wish I had gone with the 155?
Old 12-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yes. A 153 Proto has virtually the same effective edge length as my non-blunted 158 Evo.

When it comes to dampness and stiffness, most all NS boards will be stiffer and damper than other companies' similar boards. Meaning that a NS park stick will be stiffer and damper than most companies' parks sticks, etc.

One of the reasons why I recommended against the Heritage for you is your weight. It's just going to be a lot of board for someone as light as you are.

Last edited by linvillegorge; 12-26-2012 at 03:25 PM.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes. A 153 Proto has virtually the same effective edge length as my non-blunted 158 Evo.
Wow. That's quite a difference. Could you elaborate a bit?

I'm not fully understanding how chopping off the tip of the nose/tail gives a more effective edge (at shorter lengths).... my understanding is that the edges used to grip are simply along the sides of the board?

Another way of saying it - how is the edge increased, simply by removing the tip of the nose. No one carves into the snow with the edge on the nose unless you are front flipping... if that makes sense?
Old 12-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatyak View Post

I am 5'11 / 139 lbs
boy, you skinny!

also, consider the carbonium topsheet when making your decision. If that's something you'd like, know that the SL doesn't have it

If you want some more info on the heritage/cobra, read snowolf's review thread of the cobra. He's ridden the heritage for quite some time so he makes comparisons between the two often in his posts on that thread
alex12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

With the blunted tips, the contact points are moved further out. The contact points on the Proto are much closer to the tips than on a non-blunted board, so your effective edge length is longer than comparably sized boards.

Compare this:

To my non-blunted Evo:

Not the best pics to demonstrate the difference, but hopefully you can get the point from them. But, I laid my 158 Evo beside snowklingers 153 Proto and they were virtually identical length contact point to contact point.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex12 View Post
boy, you skinny!

also, consider the carbonium topsheet when making your decision. If that's something you'd like, know that the SL doesn't have it

If you want some more info on the heritage/cobra, read snowolf's review thread of the cobra. He's ridden the heritage for quite some time so he makes comparisons between the two often in his posts on that thread
haha. I'm happy with my size. Good point on the carbonium.