Lib Tech, Rome, or Roxy? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lib Tech, Rome, or Roxy?

Hey guys. I'm an advanced female rider (5'5", 150 lbs) and I'm looking for a new park board. I have been riding a GNU B-Pro.

I am considering:
Roxy Eminence
Roxy Ally
Lib Tech TRS Narrows
Rome Lo-Fi Rocker

I am having a really hard time accepting a Roxy, because they are a brand I tend to avoid (snow bunnies are a thing to make me cringe...) but that Eminence doesn't seem like a bad idea.

My race/pipe board is a Rome, and I've taken a shining to the company, as well as the one that made my beloved GNU. I am concerned, however, that the TRS would be a bit too stiff. (While this is a park board, I like a little stiffness because it will become my all-mountain board as well.)

Can I get some thoughts?
AliCatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Roxy boards are manufactured by Mervin, so if you're worried about branding: don't be.

It looks like you've got two kinds of boards you're looking at. Softer, full rocker jib-ish boards, and aggressive hybrids. So the first thing I'd do is really decide which way you want to go. The Ally and Lo-fi are both pretty darn soft and have no camber, so if you want this board to focus on jibs, do one of those.

If you don't expect jibs to be a priority, definitely go with the more aggressive C2BTX hybrid shape with an eminence or TRS (which will incidentally be very similar to your B-pro.) Keep in mind that the eminence has Mervin's awesome sintered base, and the TRS uses their extruded base that gets some... mixed reviews.
Irahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliCatt View Post
I am having a really hard time accepting a Roxy, because they are a brand I tend to avoid (snow bunnies are a thing to make me cringe...) but that Eminence doesn't seem like a bad idea.

I felt the same way. It wasn't even in the line up of boards I was considering. The shop I was demoing from had an Envi and suggested I try it out. I had previously demoed a b pro and a lotus from them. I think the Eminence is similar to the Envi except the Emi is a true twin and the Envi is directional twin with a 1/2" set back. don't know about the Ally?

anyway, It's pink and 'pretty' I so badly wanted to hate it. I really really did. I have horrible taste and wanted something with garish graphics and neon green bindings.

I rode the Roxy and I loved it. I took it home with me that day. As stated above it's made at Mervin and most of the Roxys are C2BTX so you can tell yourself it's just a girlie lib tech or something.

I still need to ugly it up some with clashing colored bindings...

Anyway, I believe in try before you buy if at all possible. Just curious why are you replacing the B Pro? oh, I see you need a park board. I think the eminence might be too stiff? it's supposed to be more of a pipe board? I don't know as I wasn't looking for a park board, more all mtn.

Last edited by mixie; 12-26-2012 at 11:45 PM.
mixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

I am riding a Roxy Eminence and was riding a Roxy Ollie Pop before the newest Roxy board. I aint no snow bunny. I rode the Ollie Pop around 280 days. I could not kill it, it's still around. The quality is there.

The Eminence took some getting use to. My Ollie Pop was a traditional camber board with no magnatraction. The Roxy Eminence is a reverse camber twin tipped board with camber under the nose and tail. At first the board was weird and not poppy. Now that I have rode it more I close to the height I was. Some ollies have been freakishly high.

I thought it was sketchy on icy hard pack, but now that snow is falling the board is killing it. It's very fast. It's good in the powder despite being a park board. It hit some small jumps with it today and it was better than my ollie pop. I agree it's too stiff, I like the flex of my Ollie Pop more. I aint very heavy or tall and have been going with Roxy because the boards are normally soft and come in smaller sizes. I will make it more flexy

I liked the graphics of both my Roxys. Both of mine are not overly pink, but delightfully colorful.

If I was to get another board I would go with another Ollie Pop.

IT AINT EAZY BEIN STEEZY
RockyMTNsteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Def scratch the Ally & Lo-Fi off your list as they're too soft for an "advanced rider," plus boards like the Ally/B-Nice are full rocker and would be too squirelly. The Eminence, B-Pro, and TRS Narrow are all great options for what you're looking for. I'd also recommend checking out the Roxy Banana Smoothie if you want EC2 instead of C2.

Official Gear List: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/blo...gear-list.html
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hey thanks for the responses guys.
Crossing the Ally off my list, but I can't shake the Lo-Fi because I have a really nice deal on last season's model...

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on the GNU Velvet Guru or the Ladies Choice?
AliCatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMTNsteeze View Post

The Eminence took some getting use to. My Ollie Pop was a traditional camber board with no magnatraction. The Roxy Eminence is a reverse camber twin tipped board with camber under the nose and tail. At first the board was weird and not poppy. Now that I have rode it more I close to the height I was. Some ollies have been freakishly high
I feel like my Envi isn't all that poppy either, my previous board was a stiff traditional camber that had massive pop, no ollie required. I could pop off moguls without even trying. Which wasn't always a good thing I read your posts in the ollie thread and they helped me quite a bit..I suck but Im at least getting some pop now. Also, If I wore a size 6 I'd be all over that onesie you're selling...fml for being a fat ass size 10

The eminence dosen't have magnetraction? My Envi fucking rocks on ice, I feel super secure (well as secure as one can feel on ice) but the Magne isn't so aggressive that it's grabby, which was a complaint I had about the B Pro.

I know nothing about the Velvet Guru except I saw it in the shop last week. Love love love the graphics...yeah, I know not much help. Sorry

Last edited by mixie; 12-27-2012 at 01:13 PM.
mixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliCatt View Post
Hey thanks for the responses guys.
Crossing the Ally off my list, but I can't shake the Lo-Fi because I have a really nice deal on last season's model...

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on the GNU Velvet Guru or the Ladies Choice?
Here's my take on Velvet Guru, mind me I rode it for only half a day and couldn't get it in my size so it was longer than I would have preferred.

The overall impression was... meh. It kind of aspires to be both an all-mountain and a park board and vacillates uneasily between the two. Moderately soft, nearly not as poppy as Ollie Pop, nearly not as aggressive as B-Pro. What threw me was this weird sensation of grabby edgehold that was slowing me down considerably during each turn. I read somewhere that it was nimble and its technology allows for great responsiveness. I didn't find it to be true. It may have been I simply had too little time to adjust to the board, but even so it just felt like a good middle of the road deck for an intermediate rider who wouldn't want to particularly push herself. I'm going to go out on the limb here and say that I don't think it's worth the money.

Sorry, I can't say anything about Ladies Choice.
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Since the Ladies Choice is basically the female version of the men's Rider's Choice (of which I've owned a dozen various models/sizes) I will say it's probably an awesome board, but not really the best for ripping on.

Official Gear List: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/blo...gear-list.html
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
Def scratch the Ally & Lo-Fi off your list as they're too soft for an "advanced rider,"
Depends on the usage. OP wants a park board, but hasn't specified what kind of "park." If she wants to jib, softer is the right answer, so the lo-fi might be a fine choice.
Irahi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
girl, gnu, lib tech, rome, roxy