GF got me a board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default GF got me a board

So my girlfriend got me this board and I have no idea who makes it or if it's any good. I'm new to snowboarding. I've only been a few times but it's something I really wanna get into. I wanna make sure I've got a decent board and I'm not going to hurt myself. The link to the board is here: 157cm Moosehead Lager Camber Mens Snowboard Deck I know it's probably hard to tell if it's any good just from the description.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
benjee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

its a beer co promo board. Probably not a high end board especially at 199.99 I have seen a few good riders riding red stripe and other similar boards but those guys were broke as fuck . But that board should work if you're just starting out.
snowjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

If it's a regular camber deck, it's not going to be very forgiving for a beginner....but Moosehead is awesome beer, so that's a win right!

Camber is making a big comeback anyway, so ride on!
TorpedoVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

157cm Moosehead Lager Camber Mens Snowboard Deck is the future of performance snowboarding.
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

is your girl hot? pics??
snowjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

The big question: Is it the right size for you?

You indicated you are just beginning to ride. Nothing worse that getting started on a deck that is the wrong size for you.

How much do you weigh? How tall are you?
Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

I think this is going to end badly for our OP as the snark and sarcasm are starting to flow. Haha!

Look, first of all your GF bought you this board. So you love it. You understand me here? You. Love. It. You can ride it a bit, replace it later as your skills progress, and keep it mounted on the wall because your GF bought you this board and you love it. (You can take it down after you eventually break-up).

As for the board itself, I think most people here will tell you it is not a quality board. The "promo" type boards tend to be low-end boards that are branded by a beer company and distributers give them away to resorts to hang on walls, as prize give-aways, etc.

That being said, it is not a novelty item, it is a real snowboard and you can ride it all you want. It is probably perfectly acceptable for your first year riding and starting out but that's about it. You will eventually want a better quality board. As mentioned above, if it is a camber board it is going to be a bit more unforgiving when learning. Learning is unforgiving period. No big deal, a lot of us old-timers learned on camber sticks and progressed and so can you. Otherwise, the board does have some "features" that mark it as a lower-price/quality board - cap construction and extruded base stood out to me. But listen, it really doesn't matter because your GF bought it for you.

And you love it, remember that.

MeanJoe - Whose fiancÚ bought him a Canon EOS 50D DSLR with a 28-135mm lens for Christmas which was amazingly awesome and I love it. Even though I've never operated anything more complex than a point-and-shoot. I love it. I never at any time did the mental calculations to determine the equivalent number of new snowboards/bindings/boots/other gear that money would have bought. I really love it, really.
MeanJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Haha that's what makes this predicament so difficult. I know I have to love it and I do love it. I actually did have the plan of mounting it on my wall at some point. It was just a matter of, Do I use it for a season first then mount it or somehow talk my way into mounting it now and getting something better. I know in the back of my head I need to use it so it's probably what I'll do. She didn't buy me bindings or boots so I'll invest in some good bindings and boots now so I can just upgrade the deck later. Any advice on the bindings and boots?

As far as size goes, I'm 6' and 150 lbs so I think the 157 should be okay.
benjee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjee3 View Post
Haha that's what makes this predicament so difficult. I know I have to love it and I do love it. I actually did have the plan of mounting it on my wall at some point. It was just a matter of, Do I use it for a season first then mount it or somehow talk my way into mounting it now and getting something better. I know in the back of my head I need to use it so it's probably what I'll do. She didn't buy me bindings or boots so I'll invest in some good bindings and boots now so I can just upgrade the deck later. Any advice on the bindings and boots?

As far as size goes, I'm 6' and 150 lbs so I think the 157 should be okay.
She probably would be happy if you used it. And as mentioned already, it'll be fine for starting out.

But... you can say you'd rather display it than have it thrashed, because you love it so much. This reason will also work after season one.

I have a female brain; the above would be logical to me.
EatRideSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

157 is huge for 150lbs. Wouldn't have you anything over a 153 as a beginner.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote