NS Proto CT - 154 in pow? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default NS Proto CT - 154 in pow?

Hi everyone,

Following alot of research and reading I've decided that the Never Summer Proto CT is the new board for me! Only problem is, I can't decide between the 154 and 157

I am 5'11" and weigh around 158lbs/72kgs (tall and skinny build) - currently riding a 158 Salomon Official with size UK10 (US11) Salomon F20 boots. These are low profile boots so waist width will be fine even on the 154.

I really want to go with the 154 as by all accounts it will be easier to butter and better for tight tree runs. Following a serious injury I am no speed demon so am less concerned with stability at high speed...

Everything points towards the 154 but my one concern is - will it be ok in powder? My Official 158 is ok cruising pow and if the Proto CT in 154 matches it then not a problem (from what I have read the Proto rides a couple of cms longer than it's actual length due to the stubby nose and tail and is pretty good in pow thanks to the rocker between the feet)...but I am concerned that I will need even more weight on the back leg to keep the nose up than I currently do on my Official!

Any help/advice would be very, very appreciated...
lkblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

I ride a Proto CT 157 and was just out at wolf creek with about 4ft of powder. I love the board but it was awful in powder. If you are strictly looking to ride powder i would look for another stick or just get another board just for powder.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have the proto ct in 154. I came off a never summer 151 (non rocker). It rides a lot bigger, in fact, too big for me. I only get a couple powder days per season, even here in colorado. It's my go anywhere / do anything board, so I don't need it for 10 powder days a year.

I'm looking to go back down to a 152 now since this board feels much bigger to me.

and yes, I used the 151 in powder just fine. I don't get many 4 ft days at wolf creek, but the occasional 1 to 2 ft that I get maybe twice a season, I just lean back

just ask yourself how many days a season do you ride full on powder. If it's more than a few, go bigger. less, and the 154 would b fine
Old 12-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks nofronts and tecknojoe - I only ride about 3 weeks a season so am definitely looking for a 1 board quiver, which is why the Proto CT seems to fit the bill very nicely.

It's a case of riding powder whenever it's available and we don't get a whole lot in Europe...just back from plenty in Val D'Isere though which is why it has become more of a consideration!
Old 12-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm 165lb and rode a Proto CT 154 for a few days earlier in the year. That size felt spot on and it rode knee deep pow absolutely fine.

Bet you had fun in Val with the conditions like they are. I rode an Sl 155 (very very close to the Proto) there a few weeks ago and it was awesome down everything piste or pow.

Last edited by Slush Puppie; 12-27-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Slush Puppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have just ordered a 154, cannot wait to test it out in Laax - end of Jan seems so far away though

Tags
154, 157, never summer, proto ct