Beginner Boarder can't find comfortable stance - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

if i'm picturing this correctly (and i hope i am), your right knee is basically buckling in laterally when you strap in and ride, even when you have a very narrow stance? this could be a flexibility problem. quick check to find out:

set up in a squat stance with your toes pointing out (45 degrees is fine). your heels should be lined up with your shoulders, or a little less. keeping your back and neck straight, squat down until you're bottomed out. i'd say ass to grass but that's a different flexibility issue so get down as low as you can while keeping both feet flat. you can repeat it with your snowboard stance.

1. at that position, are your thighs at least parallel to the floor? if not, that's a huge flexibility issue right there that could be related. i'd focus on fixing that; it'll definitely help your long-term health outside of snowboarding. just do the above 5-10 times daily, keep pushing your bottom while keeping your feet flat, and you'll be okay.
2. if you don't have the above problem, the next step is to shove your knees out. like, OUT. pretend you're squeezing the floor between your feet together. if necessary, use your elbows to help. your knees should be able to track over your feet without causing much, if any, discomfort in your knee. if you can't do this or you're experiencing a lot of pain holding this then this could be what's causing your discomfort. that's another stretch to practice.

since you mention it's been years since you got on a snowboard, this came to my mind when other people's solutions didn't help. your flexibility may have flat-out changed. you'll be surprised how much it really helps and it's something many people ignore.

let me know if it works and where you live. i'll fly in for the beer you'll owe me
onefutui2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member

this might seem obvious but when you're trying all these different stances, are you standing straight up or with your knees bent as if youre riding? theres a major difference in the way your knees will feel in relation to the angles based on whether youre standing tall or bending your knees

Never Summer Evo 153/Restricted ReFlex Cartel
Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX
East告de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefutui2e View Post
if i'm picturing this correctly (and i hope i am), your right knee is basically buckling in laterally when you strap in and ride, even when you have a very narrow stance? this could be a flexibility problem. quick check to find out:

set up in a squat stance with your toes pointing out (45 degrees is fine). your heels should be lined up with your shoulders, or a little less. keeping your back and neck straight, squat down until you're bottomed out. i'd say ass to grass but that's a different flexibility issue so get down as low as you can while keeping both feet flat. you can repeat it with your snowboard stance.

1. at that position, are your thighs at least parallel to the floor? if not, that's a huge flexibility issue right there that could be related. i'd focus on fixing that; it'll definitely help your long-term health outside of snowboarding. just do the above 5-10 times daily, keep pushing your bottom while keeping your feet flat, and you'll be okay.
2. if you don't have the above problem, the next step is to shove your knees out. like, OUT. pretend you're squeezing the floor between your feet together. if necessary, use your elbows to help. your knees should be able to track over your feet without causing much, if any, discomfort in your knee. if you can't do this or you're experiencing a lot of pain holding this then this could be what's causing your discomfort. that's another stretch to practice.

since you mention it's been years since you got on a snowboard, this came to my mind when other people's solutions didn't help. your flexibility may have flat-out changed. you'll be surprised how much it really helps and it's something many people ignore.

let me know if it works and where you live. i'll fly in for the beer you'll owe me
interesting...I just tried that (I think I did it right) and it doesn't seem to be a problem...but who knows if i'm doing it right? I am definitely not very flexible in general...something that I will work on for sure. It was actually more difficult to do because of balance.

I'm not quite sure how to do #2 properly. I think it did it but again...just not sure if it's correct. Can you link me to a photo of what it should look like?

Much appreciated! (PS like mentioned before....i haven't actually been out on snow with my new board yet...just around my living room trying to get comfortable)

Last edited by mattybee; 12-28-2012 at 12:28 PM.
mattybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by East告de View Post
this might seem obvious but when you're trying all these different stances, are you standing straight up or with your knees bent as if youre riding? theres a major difference in the way your knees will feel in relation to the angles based on whether youre standing tall or bending your knees
trying it with bent knees...as if I were boarding.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

certainly: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/wo...g-a-squat1.png

you should be able to look like that first one without too much discomfort. your hips should ideally go lower until they disappear behind the knees, but you're not lifting weights so whatever (i weight train, so i'm a stickler for good form ). again, feet should be flat. if you're having trouble getting your knees there yourself, you can bend over clasping your hands under your chin and use your elbows to shove them out.

trouble with balance in this situation is usually also caused by a lack of flexibility (you're not stretchy enough, basically). but i don't want to turn this into a physical education thread, so just do your best; you're certainly not going to be in a full squat position while you're on the mountain anyway. and yes, i'd make it a point to work on flexibility. i don't know your age or your background, but you WILL thank yourself a lot when you're older.

try that, and also as eastside said about going on the mountain and give it a shot. personally, i never noticed a huge difference strapping on my carpet vs. slope-side, but if it doesn't kill you, why not?

Last edited by onefutui2e; 12-28-2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: getting rid of that embedded picture
Old 12-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #16 (permalink)

http://i2.ytimg.com/vi/bUKWnGcu5Ss/0.jpg

what i mean by using your elbows. good luck!
Old 12-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattybee View Post
trying it with bent knees...as if I were boarding.
let me know if that helps at all. im 5'8 and i found that my stance was good a little wider and about 12,-9 or so...

Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX
Old 12-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by East告de View Post
let me know if that helps at all. im 5'8 and i found that my stance was good a little wider and about 12,-9 or so...
Yeah I'm 5'7" and my stance width is 540 mm (21.25")
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Yeah I'm 5'7" and my stance width is 540 mm (21.25")
i actually think im at like 22" or so ironically ..so that seems about right. but i do think thats kind of wide in comparison to most people..i just like feeling like i can kick the tail and tip around like crazy

Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX
Old 12-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefutui2e View Post
certainly: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/wo...g-a-squat1.png

you should be able to look like that first one without too much discomfort. your hips should ideally go lower until they disappear behind the knees, but you're not lifting weights so whatever (i weight train, so i'm a stickler for good form ). again, feet should be flat. if you're having trouble getting your knees there yourself, you can bend over clasping your hands under your chin and use your elbows to shove them out.

trouble with balance in this situation is usually also caused by a lack of flexibility (you're not stretchy enough, basically). but i don't want to turn this into a physical education thread, so just do your best; you're certainly not going to be in a full squat position while you're on the mountain anyway. and yes, i'd make it a point to work on flexibility. i don't know your age or your background, but you WILL thank yourself a lot when you're older.

try that, and also as eastside said about going on the mountain and give it a shot. personally, i never noticed a huge difference strapping on my carpet vs. slope-side, but if it doesn't kill you, why not?
yes I can pretty much do both of those without too much discomfort. but..it's a lot different when i'm strapped into the boots and bindings and my knees/legs are absolutely fixed position.