Beginner Boarder can't find comfortable stance - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beginner Boarder can't find comfortable stance

Hey all - I've been snowboarding probably 5-6 days total. I've rented snowboards each time and I finally went ahead and bought a burton snowboard with channels for bindings. It's been a few years since the last time i went so i don't remember the setup I had last time.

However...I can't find a comfortable stance. I know I'm "regular" stance (left foot forward) but no matter what +/- setup I do with my feet, my back knee always feels weird. It feels that my back foot (right foot) wants to lean forward. Right now I'm 20 degrees on my left foot and I've tried everything from 0 to -15 degrees on the back to positive degrees on the back. Each time my back right knee feels bad. It feels like my stance is too wide for my knees. So I tried to shorten the width of the stance and that didn't help much. I don't want to go too short on the width so I lose control of the board. It feels like I just need a half inch of lift on the right side of my right foot so the stress on my right knee goes away.

If i'm casually standing on the floor with shoes, it seems I need about 15 degrees on the front and -5 on the back.

any suggetions?

Last edited by mattybee; 12-27-2012 at 08:11 PM.
mattybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattybee View Post
If i'm casually standing on the floor with shoes, it seems I need about 15 degrees on the front and -5 on the back.
What's your height and what size board did you buy? Did you setup the board to the reference stance width?

Generally reference stance width is a good starting point unless you're very tall or short relative to your weight, or if you bought a board that doesn't match your weight.

You said that on the floor 15/-5 was most comfortable but you then said you only tried 20/*... So why not try 15/-6 or so? That's actually a great starting stance for most noobs.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Do a proper squat... whatever is comfy without causing your knees to bend inward.
Otherwise the rest is just getting used to.
jml22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
What's your height and what size board did you buy? Did you setup the board to the reference stance width?

Generally reference stance width is a good starting point unless you're very tall or short relative to your weight, or if you bought a board that doesn't match your weight.

You said that on the floor 15/-5 was most comfortable but you then said you only tried 20/*... So why not try 15/-6 or so? That's actually a great starting stance for most noobs.
I'm 6'1" 185lbs and got a 159 burton process flying V.

I am at reference width now. I put it at what is comfortable when i'm just standing but as soon as I strap in, it feels weird on my right knee again. My right foot just wants to lift up on the right side of the foot...it just doesn't feel natural having my foot completely flat at that angle. however, i can't find an angle where flat is working for me.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

wow I thought I was the only one with this prob. I too always find my knees bending inward even with the shortest possible stance width I can get. I guess I just get used to it.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Take your hand & make the "L" for Loser, cut a piece of foam the size of that triangle, if you connected the open side.

Make it @ least as thick as your thumb.

Place it on your binding, step on it, figure out where exactly & how thick you need it, then glue it there.

Mutha fuckin' old skool cants

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytard View Post
Take your hand & make the "L" for Loser, cut a piece of foam the size of that triangle, if you connected the open side.

Place it on your binding, step on it, figure out where exactly & how thick you need it, then glue it there.

haha, I was going to say that he should get some bindings with canted footbeds and use the highest angle on the right binding, but your solution is even better....especially since it makes him flash the loser sign first....
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytard View Post

I like this idea but i'm hesitant to add something to my board without at least trying to get use to it. Is this something a lot of people deal with at the beginning? Is it something I can just "get use to"?
Old 12-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattybee View Post
I am at reference width now. I put it at what is comfortable when i'm just standing but as soon as I strap in, it feels weird on my right knee again. My right foot just wants to lift up on the right side of the foot...it just doesn't feel natural having my foot completely flat at that angle. however, i can't find an angle where flat is working for me.
Have you boarded on it yet? Something that feels weird on carpet might feel just fine on the slopes. Keep in mind your knees should be quite bent while boarding and with a duck stance that'll push them out over your feet.

My knees are most comfortable with a symmetrical -9/+9 or -12/+12 duck stance...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Have you boarded on it yet? Something that feels weird on carpet might feel just fine on the slopes. Keep in mind your knees should be quite bent while boarding and with a duck stance that'll push them out over your feet.

My knees are most comfortable with a symmetrical -9/+9 or -12/+12 duck stance...
No, haven't used it yet. Interesting that it might be different on the slopes..I'll def try it before changing anything. Thanks