Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   How often should I wax my board? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/52779-how-often-should-i-wax-my.html)

Backcountry 12-28-2012 03:44 PM

How often should I wax my board?

It's a Burton Hero 138 and I've rode it 5 times. I don't ride to "hard", because I'm still in the beginning stage. Should I get it waxed before the next time I go up next time?

crystal 12-28-2012 03:45 PM

I wax my board before the season starts, I think once every 5 rides is a little much

cozmo 12-28-2012 03:48 PM

There is a large thread about this issue, once every 5-6 days seems to be the consensus

schmitty34 12-28-2012 04:00 PM

The real answer to this question is based on two things.....

1) Is the base extruded or sintered?

2) Do you care if the board rides as fast as possible?

I believe your board has an extruded base. With that said, if you don't mind if the board doesn't ride super fast, you don't have to wax the board very often, if at all.

When I was first learning, I had a board with a cheap extruded base and I waxed it once at the beginning of the season and never again. It rode just fine for what I needed.

So honestly, in your case, every 5-6 times is probably more than you really NEED.

2hellnbak 12-28-2012 06:10 PM

I do it every few trips out or every time if I have the available time. Having a sticky board is NO FUN at all. Once a season won't cut it for sure. I wouldn't even personally push it to 6 days myself but I guess that depends on how many runs you get a day etc. as well.

You'll know when it needs it bad because the board will be a flat out pain in the ass to ride. From there, it's your preference

Slush Puppie 12-28-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARSENALFAN (Post 558299)
About as often as your girlfriend does.

I was thinking the exact same thing :)

Personally I've found my board is ready for more wax every 4 days on average. But the world absolutely would not end if left a few days longer.

onthefence 12-28-2012 06:58 PM

Nobody can give you a definite answer here since it depends. A guy riding 8 hour days in garbage terrain may need waxing more frequently than every 5 days, whereas someone riding in powder a couple hours a day may be able to go more than 5 days in between waxes. I recommend getting familiar with what a base looks like when it's in need of a waxing.

freshy 12-28-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onthefence (Post 558397)
I recommend getting familiar with what a base looks like when it's in need of a waxing.

Great advice!

blunted_nose 12-28-2012 09:44 PM

I wax every time i go out. Feels so nice to be able to do something for the board that give's that much. And an excuse to spend money on beer and wax :p

onefutui2e 12-28-2012 10:06 PM

if the color of your base is black, then it'll grey out as the wax is worn off. after that use your judgment to decide when to wax it; generally, you don't want it to turn white.

if it's not black, it becomes a smidge trickier, but you really just need to hold it at an angle to some light and see the color fading.