How much will really old gear hurt me? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 04:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How much will really old gear hurt me?

I'm short on money right now so I got old board/bindings/boots off craigslist for the cost of less than 2 days rental. At the time of purchase, I thought I may only be able to get up to board 3 more times and wanted to save money over 3 days' rental costs, but things have changed since and I will be hopefully going more often. However, I'm starting to regret my cheap purchase. This equipment is seriously old. I put the board (Sims Access 160 - too long but usable) and bindings (metal Sims PosiLinks) around 2000 and the boots (Forum Team) at maybe 2003-2005? The boots were unused and feel fine but the board/bindings are quite well-used and scratched up, though there aren't any core shots or anything (just chips on the top, metal edge is still fine). The bindings can be hard to undo.

I haven't used the gear yet but I guess I'm wondering if I should even try or if I should upgrade to newer stuff ASAP? I don't want to feel discouraged/hurt by using junk gear but I am also quite budget conscious right now. I will have funds to do a decent upgrade in a season or two but money is tight this year.

Background: female, 6', 135-140lbs, size 9.5-10 men's feet, advanced beginner/low intermediate, generally stick to groomed runs but hoping to expand this season.

If I absolutely should switch up gear, any budget-friendly recommendations? I've spotted a used 2011 DC MLF 154 for $90 and a used 2007 Burton Clash 157 with Ride LX bindings + a bag for $130. Are these decent options (will PM the ad if anyone wants to take a quick look for me)? What about a new 2011/2012 Rossignol Circuit Amptek 155?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ziggy13; 01-01-2013 at 02:39 PM.
ziggy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 06:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

On a related question to me looking at the 2007 Clash, does anyone know if this came in a wide model or something? I can only find it in a 155 or 160 browsing online, and the colour scheme (white top, black/blue bottom) doesn't match up with the pictures I can find. It has the top colours of a 151 and base colour of a 160. Anyone know why this would be?
Old 12-30-2012, 08:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Your gear will not hurt or stunt your progression. Yes you will fall when learning (and some people become discouraged), but it's not the gear. If you train on less-than-ideal gear, this will make you a strong rider. When you know what kind of board you like or what kind of riding you want to do, you will enjoy your next board so much more and feel an instant boost in riding joy. But if you are a beginner now who is just learning how to ride, you will not reap the benefits of better gear, there is no instant boost of ability or joy.

If you really train and challenge yourself in improving riding technique, you can buy new gear near the end of the season (Feb) for like 50% off. There will still be good conditions on the slopes for you to rip on your fresh gear.

Part of the fun about snowboarding is the learning curve, challenge, and progression. If I give you magic powers that instantly allow you to spin 360s or whatever, you miss out the fun.

Your 160cm is the right size. If your boots and bindings are uncomfortable, then you should get something better. Also you need to stay warm and comfortable with the right clothing.
cb1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think your only issue might be the length, unless you get a lot of pow where you are. But you did say you ride groomers. The main issue with old boards is they lose there pop and flex like a wet noodle, so if you like spending time in the air it's just more work to get there. Dont worry about the scratches and dings on the top, thats pretty much cosmetic. I don't think you absolutely need to get different gear, at least go out for a day or two and see if you can deal. You might be happier on a shorter board, but sometimes the cost of stuff has to make the decision for you. If anything just keep an eye out for a cheap board that's a better size for you, or save up and buy something later in the season when it gets cheaper.

My first board was a relic too but I still had fun despite the sub par gear.
freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

If the boots are comfy then just start replacing one thing at a time as money allows. The first thing I would do if I was you is get not a "new" board but one that's sized properly for you. For your weight that 160 is a bit large. That will make your life on the mountain drastically better. After that get some nice responsive bindings.

If you can get that DC for $90 and it's in good shape I think that board would suit you well (only going by size, not sure what your riding style is). It'll be a lot easier to throw turns etc. with the shorter board.
2hellnbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice, I feel a bit better about it. My new concern is that I've figured out it's a wide board and I worry the size and width combined will just be too much for me. I'm going to hunt for a new shorter set-up but will ride it if I have to. Worst case scenario, I ride it for now then will double enjoy the easier turns when I switch equipment later. Thanks again.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well at least you got a powder board in your quiver now.
freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks, Snowolf. I actually measured the waist and figured out it's probably a wide board, so I got rid of it and am looking at 154/155cm models with rocker profiles because I think those may be better suited to me, even if I'll have to spend a bit more. It'll be worth it in the end to avoid the frustration of a too large board!