Never Summer Team??? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Never Summer Team???

Ok, this has been puzzling me a little bit. I know that technically Never Summer has a "team" of riders, but who the hell are they? Every other snowboard company out there seems to have at least a few big name pro riders on their team (Burton, Lib, Capita, K2, Rome, DC, Nitro, etc, etc...on and on). I see them in videos, in magazine interviews, articles, photos, ads, etc.... but never anything really from Never Summer.

It just seems odd to me that a snowboard company that makes such a good quality product, and has such a following is so seemingly silent on this front. Do they not like spending money on the whole "team" thing? Do they focus their marketing on word of mouth? It's odd that a company with such a stable of big mountain freeride boards is absent from a contest like last years Supernatural for example.

Maybe they have some riders that I should know of, but I don't and I watch pretty much every video and read every magazine out there. It just seems odd to me.
TorpedoVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've wondered this before to. For the record, if anybody from Neversummer reads this I own an Evo and love it to death, If you want to sponsor me I'm available!!!
hot-ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yeah, they don't have any big name riders. I just don't think it's their style. It's not like they have any issues of selling all the boards they make. They basically just support local guys who they like.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
tdn
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Which I think is awesome. I don't really follow or can even name more than a few big name riders. I'm sure most snowboarders are like me. My guess is they don't see the value in it, paying a big name guy something competitive to stay on board versus the potential revenue he could bring in. I imagine it's a very slim margin, in which case the benefits of having some non big pro on the team can be a much better option.
tdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
Yeah, they don't have any big name riders. I just don't think it's their style. It's not like they have any issues of selling all the boards they make. They basically just support local guys who they like.
pretty much this. You will also notice they do not put out a whole lot of video or advertising.

NS seems to have a pretty unique, intentional and specific mission statement that they allow to guide them...it certainly would be interesting to understand it better.

It is my understanding that their local factory runs 24/7 and they are upgrading to a larger one right now! Planning to head down for a tour once they get dialed in...
Old 01-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

When I took the tour of the NS factory Vince told me they don't sponsor "big name" riders because they would rather put that $$ into the boards they make. They put that $$ into R&D, and finding better materials to make the best boards possible.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Pretty sure there was a guy riding an Evo in the superpipe during the last Olympics though. Maybe a French dude? Not sure if he was sponsored by NS or not.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyCH View Post
When I took the tour of the NS factory Vince told me they don't sponsor "big name" riders because they would rather put that $$ into the boards they make. They put that $$ into R&D, and finding better materials to make the best boards possible.
This. I saw a clip of their factory tour and the guy said exactly this. Pre-tensioned fiberglass is 10X more expensive than the usual fiberglass used in regular snowboards. They can afford to do that with not a noticeable increase in price to the competition b/c they don't pay big $ for marketing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
Pretty sure there was a guy riding an Evo in the superpipe during the last Olympics though. Maybe a French dude? Not sure if he was sponsored by NS or not.
Correct. NS actually posted on congratulatory banner on their site after the event...but noted that he was not sponsored by them. Pretty cool.
jliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
pretty much this. You will also notice they do not put out a whole lot of video or advertising.
2-page spreads in twsnow...

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by legallyillegal View Post
2-page spreads in twsnow...
Yea and in CO Snowboarding as well. Still its just a one big sexy ad, its not a fucking energy drink with an action figure and concert.