New to snowboarding - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 03:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Lightbulb New to snowboarding

Hi, I,m very new to snowboarding and am looking into buying a board. I'm a girl, 5'2, around 110 pounds and size 7 shoe. I think the Burton feather 144 would be a good board but it's just so expensive for a first board, especially since i don't go that often. I don't want to spend a lot, but i need a board, bindings, boots and a helmet(I have old goggles i can use).
Does anyone have good recommendations for equipment? or a good place to buy the stuff?
Would it be worth it to get the nice board now and keep it for a long time? or should I go for a cheaper one for now and buy a nice pair of boots and a nice helmet?
Thanks
Waball is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 04:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

What are you looking to ride? Park, all mountain, powder, groomers? You can base your board off of the riding you want to do. I started on a never summer and my first board is a GNU B-nice. It's soft and flexible. Very playful and doesn't come with a steep price tag. I adjusted the softness of the board with stiff bindings and boots so when I advance I can just upgrade my board. I would suggest not going with a traditional camber board for starters.
DesireeM81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesireeM81 View Post
What are you looking to ride? Park, all mountain, powder, groomers? You can base your board off of the riding you want to do. I started on a never summer and my first board is a GNU B-nice. It's soft and flexible. Very playful and doesn't come with a steep price tag. I adjusted the softness of the board with stiff bindings and boots so when I advance I can just upgrade my board. I would suggest not going with a traditional camber board for starters.
I think all mountain would be good. What never summer did you start on? I like the idea of getting a soft board but stiff bindings and boots
Waball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

I also started this year and prioritised getting my boots because I didn't like the idea of riding around in rentals that were a broken-in mish-mash of hundreds of other people's feet. I think at our level well-fitting boots make a bigger difference than a good board.

Having said that, buying the board is the exciting part isn't it? I'm around your size - 5'3" and fluctuate between 110-115lbs with a size 4 boot. In the archives for this forum I was influenced a lot by another small-footed poster (lilfoot or something similar) and went with the Never Summer Pandora 146. I was deciding between the NS Pandora and the Gnu B-Nice and basically went with the Pandora because last year's model was going for cheaper (I picked it up for $260).

My bindings are the K2 Agogo LTDs. They're supposed to be flexier than the regular Agogos and more of a freestyle binding but I read a Shayboarder review that said they were a forgiving option for all-mountain. Plus again, they were cheap and I figured that I'm not good enough yet to be able to tell the difference.

If you buy stuff from previous seasons you should be able to get most things at a significant discount. Since you have a tight budget there's no reason to buy a current season helmet when you can get last year's model at 50% off.

It's sooooo much more convenient having your own stuff - I hated having to wait half an hour just to get started. Good luck and I hope this helped!
Kayeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yes getting a good board right off the bat can only help. And I agree with the comments that you should look for last years stuff, most big shops will have a room or something with last years gear, if not they probably got it in the back somewhere. But if your going for last years stuff be prepared to be a little flexible as they might not have the exact item your looking for.
freshy is offline   Reply With Quote