Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Detuned my Custom x... Can I recover? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/52897-detuned-my-custom-x-can-i.html)

jamesdthomas2 12-31-2012 11:46 PM

Detuned my Custom x... Can I recover?

I purchased a 2012 custom x last year. This was my 5th brand new board and I always detune 1 inch into the contact points. After falling all over any black and some blue runs, I sharpened the edges as sharp as I could get them. Now I am able to carve black runs again. But the edges are still slightly detuned. My question is how much better could I expect a brand new custom x to carve compared to a slightly detuned custom x? I am thinking about selling my 2012 and getting a brand new 2013 custom x. I know this is a difficult question to answer but any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

wrathfuldeity 01-01-2013 03:10 AM

sharper the better, but instead of buying a new board, just get a base grind and edge tune with spec'd angle....hell of alot cheaper

sidewall 01-01-2013 11:01 AM

Are you having trouble on ice? That was the problem I had with my Burton T6- even when fully sharpened, it would still slide on ice.

I'd get a board with Magne-traction and you won't have that problem.

Lamps 01-01-2013 11:23 AM

Take it to a good shop, tell them you want it super sharp, it will be sharper than it was from the factory. No need to get new board.

snowklinger 01-01-2013 11:25 AM

did you detune the rails or just the tips thru the contact points?

You use the rails to ride, not the contact points - I wouldn't even trip. :dunno:

jamesdthomas2 01-01-2013 06:38 PM

I am not having trouble on ice. I can go through just about any slope. But my goal is to get my belly as close to the snow a possible while carving the mountain. I figured sharper edges would fix this problem. I only detuned the tip and tail (not the entire effective edge). As far as magne-traction, I have not tried it. But my other two snowboard buddies have lib techs and they blaze down the mountain. Not sure that shape exits a carve the way the custom x (cambered) does though.

I always tune my boards myself but I think its worth taking to a professional to see what they can do. I live in the cheyenne, wy area. Anyone know of a good shop to take my board. Only place I have ever seen is a sports authority in our mall. Anyone know of a good place in Denver? I could always drop off and pick up later.

freshy 01-01-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesdthomas2 (Post 559764)
I am not having trouble on ice. I can go through just about any slope. But my goal is to get my belly as close to the snow a possible while carving the mountain.

Then grow a bigger belly. :sarcasm:

wrathfuldeity 01-01-2013 06:57 PM

if ur talking belly on the ground euro carves, are better done with an alpine hardboot set up

lonerider 01-02-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity (Post 559773)
if ur talking belly on the ground euro carves, are better done with an alpine hardboot set up

Indeed... but I found it a hassle to get a entirely separate setup to do this.

This is what I've been able to do with a Never Summer SL 155.

jamesdthomas2 01-02-2013 10:10 PM

Lonerider,

Your vid is exactly what i would like to do. What degree are your edges? Awesome riding man.