Board recommendations for old man! Demo search?? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board recommendations for old man! Demo search??

Hello! Hoping you all can confirm some of my research I've been doing in the last month.

If anyone is from Michigan & they can direct me towards a shop that does demos OR a resort, then that would be great too. I missed the demo day at Crystal mt by one day on our vacation, bummed me out! Not having any luck finding a good demo sourse. I'm in the Metro Detroit area & board in the Boyne upper michigan area.

Weight 185 JUST me!
Height 5'10"
Boot size wear a 10/10.5 shoe, most likely I'll buy a 10.5/11 boot-I've found a bit larger boot helps keep my foot warmer.
Riding style we board in Michigan, so riding groomed & icy hills is 99% of the year
Age 48-still in great shape-P90X for 4 years running & 11 years of constant working out
budget I'm hoping to get last years models to save some cash
Location of riding Michigan

I started out riding back in the mid 80s. No bindings on first board & my last board was a 1989 Burton Cruise. Road it for several years in Michigan and out west, only to stop skiing & boarding when my kids arrived in the mid 90s. Took the kids skiing a few years ago & just rented some skis. Was amazed at the advancement in tech with skis, tore up all the hills. I know that the boards have come even further, so I'm excited to get a great new board to ride. My kids started switching to boarding last season & now everyone is boarding. So, I bought everyone boards this year & I thought it was time to stop renting for myself too.

I'd say I'm a intermediate boarder. No park stuff, maybe the odd jump AFTER being baited by my teenagers! I just want something that will allow me to advance & that will allow me to control my turns on groomed hills & ice.

I've read and researched till I'm blue in the gills. Having owned a couple Burtons, I was set on staying with them. However, after some research, it seems that there is other great technogies that might be as good or better for me.

Length- was thinking 159-162
Rocker or Hybrid??

The GNU Carbon Credit was a consideration.

The LIB TECH SKATE BANANA, which has some of the same tech as the GNU

Burton Blunt

Those are few of the boards I was considering. FIgure there are dozens more that would fit me & figured you all could recommend some of those.

I'll be honest, I've done very little research on boots and bindings. Seems the strap in/clicker bindings give the most support & will likely go with that. Boots? No idea!

thanks for any help...Kevin

Last edited by kevin2; 01-01-2013 at 01:34 PM.
kevin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Stay away from the Skate Banana...if you're riding mostly groomers and icy runs and you're used to old school boards then this is not the board for you.
TorpedoVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

I sold my old school Burton 17 years ago! So, I'm not used to anything really. The cheap rental board at Treetops!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpedoVegas View Post
Stay away from the Skate Banana...if you're riding mostly groomers and icy runs and you're used to old school boards then this is not the board for you.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned!

Don't worry about warmth too much with boots these days, just get it properly fitted, loose / extra socks is bad news. Heres my sample suggestion for you:

158 NS SL or Heritage (if you just want to spend the extra $$ on tech and carBONERium that you probably don't need - hell I would lol)

K2 Company IPO, Flux SF45

32 TM-Two or even Prime if you want a stiffer boot. FWIW I wear 9.5-10 in all my street shoes but wear 9 comfortably in my 32s. They may not be the right shape for your foot, every brand is a little different. Aftermarket insoles like Remind kick ass and make a huge difference, and custom orthos are even better.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You might have some luck posting the question about local demos in the Official Michigan thread. Pretty sure it's located in the Midwest regional section.

Members here from MI like david z, Leo, sabatoa, chomps, and others are pretty active over there and seem like solid guys. david z and Leo have agnarchy.com. They post up local info and demo reviews. Might want to check that out also.

Good luck.
EatRideSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

ttt tttt ttt
Old 01-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the input. I gave all those suggestions a good read today on the web.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
Don't worry about warmth too much with boots these days, just get it properly fitted, loose / extra socks is bad news. Heres my sample suggestion for you:

158 NS SL or Heritage (if you just want to spend the extra $$ on tech and carBONERium that you probably don't need - hell I would lol)

K2 Company IPO, Flux SF45

32 TM-Two or even Prime if you want a stiffer boot. FWIW I wear 9.5-10 in all my street shoes but wear 9 comfortably in my 32s. They may not be the right shape for your foot, every brand is a little different. Aftermarket insoles like Remind kick ass and make a huge difference, and custom orthos are even better.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

I will sell you this K2 Gyrator

OK the truth, I won't. I was selling it but I changed my mind. I marked it up to 500 dollars on my shop so no one would buy it.

IT AINT EAZY BEIN STEEZY
RockyMTNsteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

The Carbon Credit would be a good choice; also check out the Rome Tour or the Burton Nug.

I perfer a camber/ rocker board; so you might want to check out those as well.
NorthCoastRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

Read about the Nug a couple times...it might be a winner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCoastRider View Post
The Carbon Credit would be a good choice; also check out the Rome Tour or the Burton Nug.

I perfer a camber/ rocker board; so you might want to check out those as well.