Correctly Sizing a Never Summer Proto CTX - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassmanRuchy View Post
I have thought about getting the Legacy (the wide version of the SL), but the only thing holding me back is that it's a directional twin...the only reason that I would like a true twin is because I don't want to have to change my stance or form when switching from regular to goofy.

I would say that I'm definitely more of a carver than a park guy, but I still like to hit the park a couple times and bust out a grab or two. My instinct is telling me to go with the 158, but I just want to be sure that it can still handle being put through a couple of park laps each time it goes out.
The changes you would need to make to ride switch on a board like the Legacy or even the Cobra X are minimal - if you can ride switch, you can ride this board switch the entire run if you wanted to.

In my opinion, the benefits of a true twin for riding are way overrated. If you are riding switch 50% of the time and are in the park 100% of the time, it does help a little... but if you are riding switch like 5% of the time and outside of the park 80% of the time, I don't see why you should make this type of trade off.

It's like buying a high riding SUV "in case you want to go offroad", when in reality 99% of your driving is done at like 65 mph on paved road (where a lower, stiffer suspension would give you a much better corning performance).

Again, remember that I said since you have ridden and like the 155, you should get that. That being said I have no doubt that a 158 is perfectly fine for a few laps in the park. The Proto is still an incredibly park friendly board... and adding 2% to the overall length isn't suddenly going to make it a hassle to ride. It will bit a little bit heavier (but my rough estimate about 2 ounces heavier) and a little bit stiffer. You might not "prefer" the feeling... but 3 cm is a subtle difference.

Last edited by lonerider; 01-02-2013 at 07:38 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassmanRuchy View Post
The biggest thing that is going against me getting the 158 is that I don't know if it'll be very maneuverable in the park. Honestly I don't ride park very much (probably one to three laps per day) but I still would like something that's playful enough to go in and take some hits off of the kickers. Likewise with the 155, I just haven't ridden it enough to know if it can handle very high speeds and some nice carves.
155 vs 158 is going to be subtle differences and largely personal preference.

What is playful enough for one person, is probably not what you might want. What someone finds fun in the park and easy to ride switch may or may not be what you are looking for.

You've already ridden the 152 cm and the 155 cm... you should be able to imagine what the 158 cm would be like... and whether you would like it, better than what strangers can suggest on the internet (we'll all be suggesting variations of what "we would like"). Personally, I don't think you will have trouble maneuvering the 158 in the park... but I'm not you. I'm 150 lbs and I use my Proto 154 as a pure park board. Snowklinger is like 175 lbs, rides a 154 and uses it for all-mountain freestyle (finding little hits and jibs on the edges of the trail). If you do a search, you should have no problem finding other Proto CT riders and see the other weight/length/riding preferences they have.

If you still are having doubt... maybe you should just demo the boards again as that is going to be the best way to make a decision.

Last edited by lonerider; 01-02-2013 at 07:47 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would definitely suggest the 158 for real all mountain riding.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote