Daughter's board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Daughter's board

My daughter has been boarding for about three years and is not bad. She is 10. My question is her board seems to be quite slow and frustrates her. She is about 70 lbs and her board is a Morrow, not high end. Any thoughts? Is she slow because of her weight or could it be the board. Are small entry level boards slower by design or because of their size? I've waxed her board and it really doesn't seem to help much. Her board is 128 cm. she is about 4ft 7 in.
Barryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Resident poet

if she has put in 3 winters on the morrow....get her a real board in a 140 flexy due to her low weight with sintered base
Old 01-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryp View Post
My daughter has been boarding for about three years and is not bad. She is 10. My question is her board seems to be quite slow and frustrates her. She is about 70 lbs and her board is a Morrow, not high end. Any thoughts? Is she slow because of her weight or could it be the board. Are small entry level boards slower by design or because of their size? I've waxed her board and it really doesn't seem to help much. Her board is 128 cm. she is about 4ft 7 in.
My first board was a Morrow Lithium. Don't want to overgeneralize, but it was a slow board (and stiff). When I got my first really good board (a Heritage) the difference was dramatic.

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

It probably has a cheap extruded base. Extruded bases are slower, especially if it's a cheapo board. I was riding a board with an extruded base and recently switched to a higher quality sintered base. I have way more speed now.

I don't think a 140 would be the right size. 140's are for the 100 poundish people, like 100-115. At 70 pounds, she's very light. Something in the 130s would be more appropriate. However this all depends on the models weight specs too. I was riding a 141 at 115 pounds and was right in the weight category for my old board.

IT AINT EAZY BEIN STEEZY
RockyMTNsteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Resident poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMTNsteeze View Post
It probably has a cheap extruded base. Extruded bases are slower, especially if it's a cheapo board. I was riding a board with an extruded base and recently switched to a higher quality sintered base. I have way more speed now.

I don't think a 140 would be the right size. 140's are for the 100 poundish people, like 100-115. At 70 pounds, she's very light. Something in the 130s would be more appropriate. However this all depends on the models weight specs too. I was riding a 141 at 115 pounds and was right in the weight category for my old board.
^I tend to agree, but 140 is generally were real snowboards start in size...however she is 10 and will likely be growing. When my daughter was about 10, we got her a stiffy option bella 148 (a massive board for her almost as tall as she was and I made 20mm risers so she could get better edge control)...it beat her up the first year, 2nd year she could ride it and 3rd year, at about 105# she was throwin it around and literally straight line bombing groomers at baker.