In need of edge clean-up/tune but not sure what to do - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default In need of edge clean-up/tune but not sure what to do

I've rode for about maybe 8 days this season on my brand new Never Summer SL. I can tell my edges are in need of a clean-up so I thought now would be a good time to determine what bevel and detune (if any) I should be using.

I'm trying to learn boxes & rails and would like my board to be tuned ideally to avoid board damage & injury but I also freeride and would like my board to not slip on ice when I ride night sessions. Is this even possible to have both without sacrificing something?

Here are some pics of my edges, I haven't detuned or tuned them yet, so anything you see is done by natural riding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0064[1].jpg (58.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0065[1].jpg (58.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0066[1].jpg (62.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0067[1].jpg (43.9 KB, 27 views)
onthefence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Take it to good shop. Get a regular edge tune, that will put a 1/1 bevel (99% of shop do this unless you tell them otherwise). 1/1 bevel is all your need for boxes and rails if you are just learning.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
Take it to good shop. Get a regular edge tune, that will put a 1/1 bevel (99% of shop do this unless you tell them otherwise). 1/1 bevel is all your need for boxes and rails if you are just learning.
I have a tune kit including a file, edge tool, and stone. So how can I do this stuff myself?

My edge tool looks like this, but I don't know how to use it.
onthefence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthefence View Post
I have a tune kit including a file, edge tool, and stone. So how can I do this stuff myself?

My edge tool looks like this, but I don't know how to use it.
Never Summer board all come out with 0/0 degree bevels.

Well there are numerous tutorial videos on Youtube if you search but here is the basics.

Step 1 - Use a diamond/deburr stone to remove nicks/burrs from your edge (you should easily be able to find them was sliding your fingers along the edge) - this is kind of important because your file won't work on case-harden steel and you are going to mess up your edge (be sure to regularly rinse the iron filling off your diamond stone in a little cup of water as you go along). Make sure to wipe the edge done with a wet paper towel if you are going to continue to slide your fingers on it (or you will get iron splinters into your fingertips).

Step 2 - run a permanent marker over your edge, that way you can see which parts of the edge you've already sharpened (i.e. the marker will be rubbed away.

Step 3 - first figure out how the file guide works - figure out which position is for the base edge (bottom of the board) and which position is for the side edge. Figure out what the default bevel angle the guide is using. Also figure out which direction the file goes (usually there is a small arrow on the side of the file). If you can't figure any of this out... STOP.

Step 4 - Starting at the nose of the board, lightly slide the file along the edge of the board in small, even 6-8 inches SINGLE-direction passes toward the tail of the board. Many people use way too much force (barely more than the weight of your hand) and too many passes (and/or file in both direction) with the file and remove too much steel.

Step 5 - test the edge with the back fo your finger nail... if the edge remove a shaving of fingernail... it is probably plenty sharp enough for you. If not, repeat step 4 with even lighter pressure and fewer passes.

Don't be one of those idiots who tries to be hardcore and ULTRA sharpens his board edge. That's as stupid as using a file to dull the entire edge for rail riding.

If this sounds confusing... take your board to a SHOP and have them do it FIRST. THEN do a little maintenance on your board after every day of riding (easier working with an edge that is in good condition than one that is banged up and completely dull). I highly recommend doing step 1 for about 2 mins at the end of every day. That is going make your board turn smoother in the snow and hang up less on boxes and rails.

Last edited by lonerider; 01-03-2013 at 12:48 AM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote