Another snowboard size question - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Another snowboard size question

5"6, 130 pounds. Size 7 boots

Is 156cm too big for me?
-I'd just be doing mountain/freeriding.
-My bindings also slightly overhang on the board (I think this is good)

What binding angle should I do?
-Right Now i'm at 15 degrees and 0. I ride goofy

What width length for bindings?
-I am set at the minimal.
xsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

I know this calculator is a big generalization but it is a great starting point for board sizing. Enter your specs, be honest with your riding ability and what your primary usage is, and it will be fairly close.

Snowboard Sizing Guide, Size Calculator

Based on that calc as an intermediate or expert freerider 156 would still be a little long. Again it's just a starting point for sizing, and other members and I have pointed out that it's not impossible to ride a board that's significantly longer than "ideal" it just would be tougher for a person to learn on a longer board.

Your binding angles sound fine to start, although you could increase the angle of the front, or give yourself some negative back foot angle as 15 degrees is a little narrow. Not a deal breaker but try different angles and you might be more comfortable with something like 0/18, -3/15 or -6/15. As far as stance width, I'm only 1/2" taller than you and the width I run is 540mm (21.25") centre to centre. Some guys run much wider than that but I find it pretty ideal for my frame.

Last edited by poutanen; 01-03-2013 at 12:29 PM.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
I know this calculator is a big generalization but it is a great starting point for board sizing. Enter your specs, be honest with your riding ability and what your primary usage is, and it will be fairly close.

Snowboard Sizing Guide, Size Calculator

Based on that calc as an intermediate or expert freerider 156 would still be a little long. Again it's just a starting point for sizing, and other members and I have pointed out that it's not impossible to ride a board that's significantly longer than "ideal" it just would be tougher for a person to learn on a longer board.
I'm more of a beginner/intermediate.
Only problem is I have my bindings mounted and it'd be a pain to have to return for a 153 especially because I like the color of the 156.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsea View Post
I'm more of a beginner/intermediate.
Only problem is I have my bindings mounted and it'd be a pain to have to return for a 153 especially because I like the color of the 156.
Only 8 screws to remove your bindings, and I hate to say this but if you're more worried about colour than how it performs you might be wasting your time asking the question!

To answer your first question again: Yes a 156 sounds too big for you, it will likely be easier to learn on a board designed for your weight.

Hope this helps!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Definitely shoulda gone with the 153. I'm 6'0" 155lbs and I ride a 156 for freeride/all mountain.
Gnardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Only 8 screws to remove your bindings, and I hate to say this but if you're more worried about colour than how it performs you might be wasting your time asking the question!

To answer your first question again: Yes a 156 sounds too big for you, it will likely be easier to learn on a board designed for your weight.

Hope this helps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnardog View Post
Definitely shoulda gone with the 153. I'm 6'0" 155lbs and I ride a 156 for freeride/all mountain.

Alright, I guess I'll try to return my board for a smaller size.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

way too big especially being a beginner. That thing will take way more effort to learn on. Go short if you want an easy ride, even less than 150.
stunt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Resident poet

Perhaps a bit too big but it depends on the snow conditions....deep pow of 16"+ it will be great. With you small boot size you will need small or medium bindings....take your boots along to fit. With small feet, you must pay attention to is the width of the board at the waist or at the bindings. I would highly recommend not going over 25 cm and probably ideal would be less...like 24 cm or 23.75 at the smallest....measured at the the waist. You want to have good edge to edge response...I have size 7 boots. Btw, the angles won't matter...whatever is comfortable