Going from EC2 to Camrock - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 11:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Going from EC2 to Camrock

Hey gang. Sold my 159 Attack Banana and picked up a 2012/13 159 Yes Pick Your Line. First time out today. Conditions were hardpack and somewhat icy. I found the Yes Camrock much less washy than the Attack Banana which I rode in the same place last week. I had just tuned the Attack, but it didn't seem to help. Much happier with the Pick Your Ride. However, as expected from ArsenalFan, there is a "but." Here it is: I like the new board but I don't love it (initially impression). Now you must remember, there is no such thing as demo days in Calgary area. Accordingly, I have to research online and then pull the trigger. I rode my friends Travis Rice Pro at the end of the day and gave him mine to ride. I found the MTX on the TRice to be much better than on my old Attack Banana and found the Rice to be a good ride. The TRice also seemed quite a bit quicker than the Pick Your Line and supersonic compared to the Attack Banana.

My thoughts are that I will need to give the Yes board a chance and ride much more aggressive since it is cambered under foot. Questions:

A) Are turns supposed to be initiated a little different on a Camrock v EC2?
B) Is edgehold on Camrock expected to be at its best when your balls out as opposed to riding somewhat slower/lazyer?
C) Do you think it would make a difference if I switched out my Cartels for the Now Ipo's?

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Last edited by ARSENALFAN; 01-05-2013 at 11:59 PM.
ARSENALFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I should add that I had decided on the Camrock as I have a Hovercraft which I loved from the moment I stepped on it.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Hey! Where were you in the lets bash Poutanen thread!?! lol

Burton does come to LL sometimes for demo days not sure about the other manufacturers. I remember it being late in the season last year, April maybe?

Honestly give it another few days on the new board. I found it's taken me 5 days or so to really get comfortable on the new one myself...

Camber does like to be pushed though, so maybe it'll come alive with aggressive riding?

Have fun! You've had/tried so many boards this year you should start a review blog about them all!!!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rides Caturdayz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSENALFAN View Post
Now you must remember, there is no such thing as demo days in Calgary area.
You missed a few. Got to check the hill event calendars for this stuff.

Alpenland shop @ Castle yesterday.

Salomon was @ Panorama in December.

Huge demo event in KH on Jan.19/20th.

Burton was @ COP in December, will be back on Jan.26th. They will also be in KH ^ and @ Fernie on Feb.2.

My Lake Louise paper calendar shows demo day on Jan.19th, but I have no idea what demo or if that's still valid. Ski Cellar advertises a large demo fleet, but I never inquired how much it costs. EDIT: It says on their site $50 per day and you can get up to $100 (2 demo days credited on a actual purchase with receipt.)

Last edited by seriouscat; 01-06-2013 at 04:37 AM.
seriouscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Thanks fellas!
Old 01-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

The Camrock on the Hovercraft feels like a full camber deck pretty much to me. The camber extends past the inserts like in this picture

The Camrock on your PYL to me looks and feels like this profile, same as the Jones Mountain Twin

I wouldn't say it rides or feels like a camber board at all to me anyway, very much a hybrid feel. The EC2 BTX is completely different because it has "camber" under your feet and rocker between

I think you just need to ride it a bit and figure it out, it doesn't ride like a LibTech and it doesn't feel like the Hovercraft, it's a completely different thing for sure. There are a lot of different Camrock profiles, all Camrock means is Camber/Rocker, they make varying versions of it. I never noticed any difference in edge hold at high speed versus slower speeds like you do on a real camber deck.
TorpedoVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

What torpedo wrote above is very true.

Many Camrock boards (AKA PopCam, AKA Rocker Camber Rocker) are really good old cambered boards with very slightly lifted contact points. There are huge variations in where the various companies (and model with each company) break from the cambered section to the rockered sections. The Pick Your Line that I played with had its cambered section extending out past the inserts (but that may have been pre-production). Post up a picture of the profile of your PYL if you can.
Wiredsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

I couldn't find a profile diagram from the PYL specifically so it may have camber out just past the inserts, but it didn't feel like the camber went much past your feet at all. I think the mountain twin also changed this year and pushed the camber just past the inserts. My point was mostly that the contact points may vary from the Hovercraft quite a bit (feels like way more rocker to me, the Hovercraft to me feels pretty much full camber). You might have go lay the board down and snap a photo to compare

Last edited by TorpedoVegas; 01-06-2013 at 10:34 AM.
TorpedoVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Larger photos

These should be a bit better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07913.jpg (88.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07917.jpg (83.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07918.jpg (81.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07919.jpg (88.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07920.jpg (79.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07921.jpg (84.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07922.jpg (84.6 KB, 41 views)
Old 01-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The photos are helpful. Are the last two of the same board? Possible the angle but they look dissimilar to the others. Thhe first bunch are small but seem to show camber extending well past the inserts. Is that correct. Is that the Pick Your Line?
Wiredsport is online now   Reply With Quote