170 lb 5'11 male 11.5 size feet - Need help finding a board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 22
Default 170 lb 5'11 male 11.5 size feet - Need help finding a board

So I went snowboarding for the first time last weekend, and I had an absolute blast.

Just like what everyone says, I was on my ass for the first half of the day, but things started clicking and I was riding a lot better by the end of the day. For this trip I used a friends snowboard that he bought at a garage sale.

The width of the board was too small, and as a result my toes hung off the edge a good amount, which resulted in my toes catching the snow and me wiping out when attempting to do toe-side turns.

I am wondering what size board I should be renting/buying since we plan on going up either next week or the week after. I've already read and learned a lot on this forum and I really hope you guys can help me out!

Thanks!
SeattleSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14
Default

You should probably be around a 158-160. You can always go up or down depending on if you wanna be in park or just cruising. You are also kinda borderline as to if you need a wide board or not. I am a size 12 boot and in my time renting boards I've gotten both wides and standards and never had a problem with either (with the one exception of these guys that gave me a 151... I will never know on what planet I'm a 151. I'm 6'1" 175) I'm sure you could use either wide or not without a problem. I even asked my local shop and they said most would go with a standard board
Brian222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Wiredsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,225
Default

Hi Seattle,

Stoked that you are loving riding! The correct size will depend a lot on what model you are considering. The tip to tip length of a board is not a great indicator. Were there any brands or models that you were interested in? If so, post them here and we can all make some specific suggestions.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
Hi Seattle,

Stoked that you are loving riding! The correct size will depend a lot on what model you are considering. The tip to tip length of a board is not a great indicator. Were there any brands or models that you were interested in? If so, post them here and we can all make some specific suggestions.
Thanks for the response WiredSport!

I was mainly looking at used boards with waist lengths of about 24-25.5. One specific model on craigslist that caught my eye was a Trilogy Arts 159 Winter Roots Damian Draper edition. With some Burton Bindings the guy is selling it at $120 (Good price? ).

Other than that, I'm still hard at work looking for a good used board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian222 View Post
You should probably be around a 158-160. You can always go up or down depending on if you wanna be in park or just cruising. You are also kinda borderline as to if you need a wide board or not. I am a size 12 boot and in my time renting boards I've gotten both wides and standards and never had a problem with either (with the one exception of these guys that gave me a 151... I will never know on what planet I'm a 151. I'm 6'1" 175) I'm sure you could use either wide or not without a problem. I even asked my local shop and they said most would go with a standard board
Thanks for the response Brian.

I'm now only looking at boards between 158 and 160. Btw, does it matter if its a cm bigger, like 161? I'm finding some boards at that height, but I'm not sure if I should disregard them or not.


Btw, I just found a site thats slling a wide Burton Cruzer V. 154 cm board (25.5 width) for $89.00 bucks. Seams like a steal to me. Thoughts?

Last edited by SeattleSol; 01-06-2013 at 04:18 PM.
SeattleSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14
Default

Yea that is a steal but a button cruzer won't take you very far. It's a good beginner board but nothing more really. That's also on the smaller side (with the exception of if it's for park) so it could get sketchy at high speeds. I would look elsewhere or snag that cruzer to get your feet under you and some experience but I think you should expect to get a more advanced board not too long after if you really want to progress
Brian222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Wiredsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,225
Default

Please post up your weight and foot size as well.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
Please post up your weight and foot size as well.
11 or 12 depending on the model/make (my feet aren't growing anymore)

Weight is 170 lbs
SeattleSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian222 View Post
Yea that is a steal but a button cruzer won't take you very far. It's a good beginner board but nothing more really. That's also on the smaller side (with the exception of if it's for park) so it could get sketchy at high speeds. I would look elsewhere or snag that cruzer to get your feet under you and some experience but I think you should expect to get a more advanced board not too long after if you really want to progress
Hmm...I'm seriously debating getting the Cruzer since it doesn't break the bank (at all), is a great brand, and is being sold by an online shop (trustworthy). I do want to get in to park though...but I also enjoy cruising.

EDIT:

Found some more deals :

Burton Floater 155 cm w/ bindings and boots (brands not given for bindings and boots) for $180.00

Used as a rental board, has a good amount of scrapes on the bottom

Also,

a Ride Fleetwood 162 w/ bindings and boots, but the board looks really beat up,with paint coming off around the edges and a good amount of scrapes. Was also used as a rental. This one is also $180.00

Last edited by SeattleSol; 01-07-2013 at 12:26 AM.
SeattleSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,282
Default

SeattleSol- I have a new 155 DOA Camrock profile board that I picked up from Wired Sports' stoker earlier this year. I have enough decks and hate that I haven't been able to ride this yet. If you're in Seattle, I'd be happy to pass this on to you if you post up your experience with it. I figure this will make up for Chomps keeping the board designated for getting someone new into the sport
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Wiredsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,225
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSol View Post
11 or 12 depending on the model/make (my feet aren't growing anymore). Weight is 170 lbs

I was mainly looking at used boards with waist lengths of about 24-25.5.
Got it. These are some pretty broad ranges and might make a big difference to your upcoming fun.

We try to steer people away from considering waist width (because nothing happens at the waist). Even so, it is rare for the width at the inserts (that is the width that counts because that is where your feet go) to be much greater than 1 cm larger than the width at the waist. So if you wer to choose a deck with a 24 cm waist (about 25 cm at the inserts) and your foot is indded a size 12 (which is 30 cm barefoot) you have 5 \cm of barefoot overhang. I know that your big complaint in your original post was toe drag, so you will want to get this part correct.

bseracka is offering you a free deck which is crazy cool of him. Hard not to take him up on that.

Let's make sure that it will be a good fit.

Please measure your foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums