Best style of board to learn on - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best style of board to learn on

Hi guys,

I plan to buy a board soon for my kid. She's rented a couple of times and is picking it up fairly quickly so I want to get her her own equipment soon. I know I can keep renting or rent seasonally, but I'd just as soon do this.

I'm not really focused on a brand and sizing yet as much as whether a particular style of snowboard is better for beginners and learning as quickly possible.

From what I read, Freestyle boards seem to be the easiest to learn on, even though its supposed to be more for tricks than just coming down the mountain. At least that's what the buying guides seem to indicate.

Even if it ends up being a board she only uses for a season or two, I'd rather that than a board that may be difficult to learn on. My board is about 20 years old and I'm guessing much of the technology has changed, though I'm not really sure how different the different boards would feel, nowadays.

Any thoughts on whether there's any validity to Freestyle boards being better to learn on ? Or if another style is better ?

Thanks for the feedback
JF
Jeepfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Resident poet

generally speaking a freestyle, that has more flex, perhaps a cambered rockered hybrid will be easier.

But there are benefits to learning on a stiffer cambered deck...imho you are forced to develop more precise technique and more confidence at speed.... thus, perhaps better in the long run. If you learn on a cambered deck it is easier to switch to a rockered hybrid than the other way around.

Perhaps a good part of the deciding factor is, what is your daughter's personality as for toughness, determined and aggressiveness and her athletic ability or talent.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepfreak View Post
Hi guys,

I plan to buy a board soon for my kid. She's rented a couple of times and is picking it up fairly quickly so I want to get her her own equipment soon. I know I can keep renting or rent seasonally, but I'd just as soon do this.

I'm not really focused on a brand and sizing yet as much as whether a particular style of snowboard is better for beginners and learning as quickly possible.

From what I read, Freestyle boards seem to be the easiest to learn on, even though its supposed to be more for tricks than just coming down the mountain. At least that's what the buying guides seem to indicate.

Even if it ends up being a board she only uses for a season or two, I'd rather that than a board that may be difficult to learn on. My board is about 20 years old and I'm guessing much of the technology has changed, though I'm not really sure how different the different boards would feel, nowadays.

Any thoughts on whether there's any validity to Freestyle boards being better to learn on ? Or if another style is better ?

Thanks for the feedback
JF
Two schools of thought on this:

1) A soft rockered board is more forgiving, turns easily and catches less edges, better for learning.

2) A not so soft cambered board will teach better technique and discipline in terms of edge control, and it's better to learn this early before you get going fast and then pay a bigger price for being sloppy with your technique.

I learned under theory #2 above, and for adults I think that it might be a good approach, but for kids I'd say go with theory #1. Also, if you know that you'll flip the board go with a board that is a tad short, that also makes turns easier.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

I started with a very stiff board, and learnt alot with it. I think my turns and carving technique are slight a bit better then my two cousins who choosed softer boards (freestyle). But then again they do better spins snd rails then me. So everything has a up and downside

- Peter
Soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

I started on a Morrow Lithium, which is a cheap, stiff, directional plank. Still had a blast and got totally addicted. It's understandable to want to get it all right the first time, but really don't sweat the small stuff. You're going to be hooked regardless. Just lie back and enjoy it.

In retrospect, "Let's get the goat drunk"
should have been my cue to leave the party.
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I guess that either style can work out as long as its fitted properly. I just figured if there was a clear cut advantage for learning, then it made sense to go that way.

I'll take her to a few of the local shops to start looking around at specifics.

Thanks again.
Jeepfreak is offline   Reply With Quote