would 3cm make a difference! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 12:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default would 3cm make a difference!

I ride all kinds of boards. Have a 156 that I use the least, not cause of size, just not the best of the boards to spend a day on. But when I rode it I enjoy it the most (lots of fun to throw around and not care lol). I also have a 164.5 and a 168! I ride these two more.

I'm 6'2 205 lbs (now), but average 185-190 lbs by april, boots size 11.5.

Looking for a particular board that's only available in 159 now (162 sold out). waist is 257 which fits perfect. 162 waist width was 264 which is a little over what I like and can be slower edge to edge.

This is an all mountain (60:40 park). So my question... would the 3 cm (1.5 cm each side) really make that big a difference and where would I feel it most? I'll be using it mostly for tricks, spins, jumps etc. But i also LOVE to run & charge fast when I get a window.

Thnx for sharing your thoughts in advance.

Cheers...

Last edited by dice; 01-08-2013 at 12:59 AM.
dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 01:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

the 159 should be just fine especially if the waist width is perfect for you. Your other boards seem long for you your size: good for charging but that's about it. The 159 should be good for nuking a run (depending on the board) and still keep the swing weight down for spins.
10sullivanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

I feel big difference from my all mountain board/freeride that are 158, compared to my jibstick Academy Propoganda 155cm. I feel it easier to rail with the 155, and do spins with it, but when it comes to handling and big jumps/drops, the 158 is a easy choice for me Because I find it much more stabile in fast speeds

- P
Soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Skimmed your post, but yes.

I have a 156w that is good in pow and fun all around board on any day. I bought a 159w last season that is awesome in pow and so much better for bigger mountain stuff - deep powder, steeps, cliffs, chutes etc. The 156w will do for light powder days, side hits, some jumps, small cliffs, semi-park stuff and such.

But both are such different boards though, 156w is full reverse camber, 159w is rocker in the front and small camber under the back foot.
WasatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft View Post
I feel big difference from my all mountain board/freeride that are 158, compared to my jibstick Academy Propoganda 155cm. I feel it easier to rail with the 155, and do spins with it, but when it comes to handling and big jumps/drops, the 158 is a easy choice for me Because I find it much more stabile in fast speeds

- P
that has a lot to do with the flex too though
10sullivanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thnx guys for all the feedback!

The 168 is a Kessler Ride! This one is the hard charging beast that I ride all mountain with & also take to the park for jumps (and very rarely baxes). It's super fast and great for carving trenches!

The 164.5 is a Travis Rice and I use it for almost everything (trees, jumps, ollies, speed)! And though I can do OK with it on spins, a little shorter could help when trying to push my tricks & have fun.

The 156 is a K2 WWW! It's soft and short but loads of fun when there's snow. However, It's UGLY on ice and that's all we had past 2 years until this year! But this year been good so I may just take it out this weekend and see how that feels!

The 159-162 is a mid flex board and intended to fill that gap where it'll be short enough to have fun with and practice/improve my game (spins, side trails, jumps, etc.) and have just enough length to charge with when need be!

And from what I'm reading above, thoughts are the 159 would actually be a better fit for what I want it for than the 162 anyway!

Anyone my size rides a 159 all mountain?

Cheers...

Last edited by dice; 01-08-2013 at 03:44 PM.
dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Resident poet

3cm
length...no
girth...yes
also true for snowboards
Old 01-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

I ride 2 159s, K2 Playback Wide and a Flow Infinite Wide with the hybrid camber..

I have a 157 Garage Rocker and a 155 WWW for park-ish days too.

Where do you ride Dice? I live an hour away and have a seasons pass @ St. Sauveur and ride Orford a few times a year.
Orford: 1
Bromont: 1
Rigaud: 21
chronicsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I'm 6'3" and 200 lbs and ride a 157 NS Proto. I bought it for a more park/fun oriented ride but I was pleasantly surprised to find that it can CARVE and throw some nasty lines down steep hardpack normally used for ski racing. You will be fine as long as the board is not a noodle.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice View Post
And from what I'm reading above, thoughts are the 159 would actually be a better fit for what I want it for than the 162 anyway!

Anyone my size rides a 159 all mountain?

Cheers...
Yeah, ME! lol No I'm more like 175 and only 5'7" but I've been on a 159 all over the place. The new board is a 160. Sounds like the 159 should be just about right for you. What are you looking at anyway?!?
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote