Stance Width - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Stance Width

Hi guys - I've a question about my girlfriend. Shes having some problems with her turns and starting them. Now I know this could be down to technique and she plans to get an instructor to look at it but something else I was thinking might be her stance width.

She's 5'8 and about 135 lbs. Her board is 151. Her shoulders are 15" across and her current binding width is 20". We bought the board 2nd hand and this is the setup it came with. She uses the board for freeride just. To test it last night I got her to stand with her feet at a comfortable width and knees bent and it was about 17".

What I'm wondering is - could narrowing her stand by 2-3" make a big difference to her turns and general riding?

Thanks
G
gc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

yes that could be a big issue, either way it wouldn't be that hard to change! definitely give it a shot, i am still trying to figure out my stance width on my new board, dialing in on the perfect stance i am 6"3 on a 161 with a 17.5" stance.
blockay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, the best thing to do is to experiment with it. I would narrow the stance a little and do a couple runs. If she feels like there is a difference great, if she doesn't feel there is a difference (or her turns get worse), then you can change it back.

Just remember to bring a tool up on the mountain!
stupidmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

will do, thanks!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Everybody has their own preference but 20" seems about right for a 5'8" person. In fact a lot of people ride a lot wider. I'm 5'6" and ride a 21.25" stance width...

You're measuring from the centre of each disk right?

Hate to say it but in the beginning it's 99% technique and 1% gear.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

get what you mean, but she's a 135lb girl with narrower shoulders so centre of gravity be different I guess...

usual guide seems to be shoulder + 1" - in her case thats closer to 17" instead of 20"...
Old 01-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc2012 View Post
get what you mean, but she's a 135lb girl with narrower shoulders so centre of gravity be different I guess...

usual guide seems to be shoulder + 1" - in her case thats closer to 17" instead of 20"...
My GF is 5'6" and 140 lb and her stance width is 19"...

Also maybe they use shoulders as a guide, but you're not riding the board with your arms so leg length and hip width would make more sense. Somebody with a longer inseam would likely want a wider stance all else being equal.

Like I said, everyone has to find their own comfortable setup, but 17" does sound quite narrow for a 5'8" person.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

sorry im a dumbass i don't know how to measure binding width, from the center of each disc i ride 23.5"
blockay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm 5'8" (drivers liscence says 173cm) and ride a 150cm board. My stance is 20.5". My inseam is about 32, I got long legs lol. I'm between 135-140lbs with gear.

If she's having trouble with turn initiation maybe she needs a softer board? My first board was a Lamar something full camber and stiff as heck. Problem number 1 was camber (kept catching edges and had some bad takedowns) and problem number 2 was that the board was too stiff for me...

I bought a new board, moustache rocker (low profile cambers under the feet) and noticed a difference right away. I could turn alot easier, no chatter or catching edges unless I was on ice, and flexible enough to go from edge to edge without any problems. It might be me but its harder to ride switch with the new board than my full camber deck... hope this helps somewhat

Last edited by Optikal_Illuzion; 01-09-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Optikal_Illuzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hi - no the board is pretty flex. Think we'll try it a bit narrower and also get someone to check her technique.

But when she stands in a room and drops into a "natural" stance with her knees bent as if she was on the board its closer to 17" not 20". He shoulders are 15-16". Might try and narrow it by 1 notch either side and bring it in a little

Thanks