Finally picking up a board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Finally picking up a board

I'll keep it short and simple.

I'm 22, 5'7" 130lbs. Boot size 7.5-8 based on the rentals I've used. Live in SoCal, mostly freeride, but I like to hit jumps and the occasional box. I'm pretty comfortable carving and speeding down the slopes.

If I buy new, it would be a Sierra Team (http://www.the-house.com/9857sitm10z...nowboards.html) due to a relatively small budget (~400 for the whole setup). However, I'm sure used won't be a problem. Best deals I could find were a 159 GNU Altered Genetics and a 152 '08 Burton Custom X w/ Burton Cartels. The GNU is a little long, but I like what I've read about it. However, due to its length I still can't decide whether or not I should take the leap on it. My research also showed that the CX is super stiff, so I'm a little hesitant on picking that up as well as I'm not quite sure how I would like that.

Although I've read a multitude of threads regarding board length and stiffness, I still feel compelled to make my own thread about my personal problems

Your opinions?

Last edited by hydralover; 01-08-2013 at 11:43 AM.
hydralover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

I would look for a 152-156 if i were you, depending on your style of riding. a shorter board for tricks and a longer board for speed. a burton custom x is a good board, and burton cartels are great bindings!! a stiffer board will hold its edge at higher speeds and give you a more confident ride. Make sure the board you buy is 'regular' in its width size, as your feet will fit the best on it
blockay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

I agree with blockay, find a board in the 152-156 range. That'll last you a long while since you are probably done growing taller, and will be long enough to provide for you if you start gaining weight. That's what I am doing. Picking up a board that is 153cm because I think it'll be great for years to come for me.
WS6Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

I agree, you don't want to buy a board that is on the verge of being too small. I have the burton cartels and they are awesome bindings. I would highly recommend them as I mostly free ride with the occasional rail here or there.
nstp0316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

if you can, wait until next summer to buy. If you can hold off until, like, August you can get 2013 gear after the 2014 stuff is out and get a better deal. as long as you are a little bit flexible on what you want, close out time will save you lots of money if budget is an issue.
angusshangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sound advice, but I'd like to buy a setup ASAP. Spent way too much on rentals the last 5 seasons...

I'm not too concerned with getting the latest and greatest either, I'm only considering discount/used models. If money weren't an issue I would get this in 149 with stealth top Lib Tech Skate Banana BTX Snowboard - Snowboard Shop > Snowboards > Men's Snowboards
hydralover is offline   Reply With Quote