Advice/Feedback on snowboard choice and length for female rider - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

female Advice/Feedback on snowboard choice and length for female rider

Hello all, I need some advice picking out a new board. I bought my first snowboard seven years ago when I was a beginner and had mastered linking turns. I've ridden the same stick all these years and after buying my boyfriend his first set of gear, I decided I'd like to finally upgrade mine as well. I'm an intermediate female rider and I mostly like to freeride. I do enjoy venturing into the park once in a while, but I'm a beginner when it comes to hitting jumps and jibbing (50/50s on boxes, ollie-ing off of jumps) and I don't really care too much for freestyle riding to progress much further. I'm looking for an all-mountain board and after a lot of research, I think the Never Summer Infinity would be a great match for me. From what I've read, it seems to be a solid board and has a great dampening system. I also like that it has the Vario grip edges and a 3 year warranty. I put my stats into a few snowboard length calculators but they've all spit out different results, so I'd like some advice on which length to get. Although I kind of have my heart set on this board, other suggestions for boards or feedback on my board choice would be appreciated.

Stats
Weight: cycles between 105-115 lbs, currently 110.
Height; 5'
Boot size: 5.5
Riding Ability: Intermediate. Aggressive and very comfortable on blues, not quite bombing down blacks yet but getting there.
Location: Southern California. I ride mostly hard-packed groomers, blues and blacks. Would like to venture into trees, sidecountry, and pow (basically progress everywhere this season)

I'm not sure which size board to get, the 142, 145, or 147. I'm also concerned that with my small feet, I won't be able to turn and control the longer boards as easily. I currently ride a 2005 K2 Skyla (143 cm) with 2005 Burton Mission bindings and Nitro boots. I bought all of the equipment at a sporting goods store when I was 14 with no research and no idea if the equipment was a good fit for me or not. I'd like to upgrade my gear this season so suggestions for bindings and boots would be appreciated as well.
Chinchilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchilly View Post
Hello all, I need some advice picking out a new board. I bought my first snowboard seven years ago when I was a beginner and had mastered linking turns. I've ridden the same stick all these years and after buying my boyfriend his first set of gear, I decided I'd like to finally upgrade mine as well. I'm an intermediate female rider and I mostly like to freeride. I do enjoy venturing into the park once in a while, but I'm a beginner when it comes to hitting jumps and jibbing (50/50s on boxes, ollie-ing off of jumps) and I don't really care too much for freestyle riding to progress much further. I'm looking for an all-mountain board and after a lot of research, I think the Never Summer Infinity would be a great match for me. From what I've read, it seems to be a solid board and has a great dampening system. I also like that it has the Vario grip edges and a 3 year warranty. I put my stats into a few snowboard length calculators but they've all spit out different results, so I'd like some advice on which length to get. Although I kind of have my heart set on this board, other suggestions for boards or feedback on my board choice would be appreciated.

Stats
Weight: cycles between 105-115 lbs, currently 110.
Height; 5'
Boot size: 5.5
Riding Ability: Intermediate. Aggressive and very comfortable on blues, not quite bombing down blacks yet but getting there.
Location: Southern California. I ride mostly hard-packed groomers, blues and blacks. Would like to venture into trees, sidecountry, and pow (basically progress everywhere this season)

I'm not sure which size board to get, the 142, 145, or 147. I'm also concerned that with my small feet, I won't be able to turn and control the longer boards as easily. I currently ride a 2005 K2 Skyla (143 cm) with 2005 Burton Mission bindings and Nitro boots. I bought all of the equipment at a sporting goods store when I was 14 with no research and no idea if the equipment was a good fit for me or not. I'd like to upgrade my gear this season so suggestions for bindings and boots would be appreciated as well.
what are the conditions where you ride? if it was icy at all, i would highly recommend checking out a magnetraction board! i would recommend a board size of 139-144 for you, the shorter board will be easier to turn, and the longer board you will feel more confident going faster. when it comes to "dampening", bindings and boots will be doing more work than the board. the length of your board and your foot size aren't relative, you need to find a board with a narrow waist that is closest to your foot size. bindings should be picked out after the board, you need to find a binding with the same or similar stiffness as the board. and as for the boots, make sure they are comfy and fit snug on your feet! boots also have a stiffness and should be relative to the board.
blockay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'd actually recommend Vario Grip over Magnatraction. I've ridden them both and my never summer revolver holds an edge really well on ice as well as the rest of the mountain while still being a great park board. I've washed out on ice a couple times with the magna traction on my turbo dream.
10sullivanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

As far as size goes, for your weight, ability and riding style a 141-143 seems about right. For carving though a longer board will have more edgehold, and be able to handle speed over the chop.

It actually seems like you've had the right sized board this whole time!

Your feet are small though so waist width should be something in a 22.7-23.0 cm range. There are boards that narrow out there in a 142 or so, or you can have one custom made.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll make sure to choose a slightly stiffer binding and boot to maximize control. The Infinity 142 has a waist width of 23.2 which is slightly wider than what you guys recommended.. and the 145 is 23.4 cm wide Will that noticeably affect my ability to control the board? In regards to custom boards, will NS custom make one that is narrower to fit my needs or should I check out companies that specialize in custom boards? I would prefer to buy a ready made board just because I want to ride it ASAP but can anyone recommend custom board websites that I can look into?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

it will be slightly harder to turn than a skinnier board, but its not going to be a huge difference. Measure Your Shoe Size | Zappos.com Says that you're foot is 21.6 cm, with a boot on i bet it would fit just fine. NS makes a great board you couldn't go wrong with it.
blockay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

IIRC, lilfoot (where is she anyway?) has stats similar to yours, and wears a size 4 boot? Check the forum archives--she's ridden a number of quality boards, none of them custom, I believe.

I'm taller and heavier than you (5'6", 140 lbs, 7.5 boot), ride an Arbor Cadence 147. I switched to a stiffer boot last season, and it made a huge difference in my riding.

Last edited by Kauila; 01-08-2013 at 11:24 PM. Reason: edited to add boot size
Kauila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Great, I'll look into her previous posts. Thanks a lot
Old 01-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

I remember lifoot had trouble turning the Infinity but there was another poster with a size 5.5 boot (I think?) who had no problems.
Kayeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Do you happen to remember who it was or what size board she rode?