2014 Snowboard Gear Preview Thread - Page 10 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #91 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The NOWS are light as it is, maybe you need to ride a bit more. Pretty sure space grade carbon is not the same as what companies are using for snowboarding. Carbons properties for snowboarding are best used when laid flat to initiate snap. Bending, folding, or using for anything else weakens it significantly.

Next time you get to hold a carbon strip take it and snap it against the side of a table and tell me what it does.
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #92 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
The NOWS are light as it is, maybe you need to ride a bit more. Pretty sure space grade carbon is not the same as what companies are using for snowboarding. Carbons properties for snowboarding are best used when laid flat to initiate snap. Bending, folding, or using for anything else weakens it significantly.

Next time you get to hold a carbon strip take it and snap it against the side of a table and tell me what it does.

Again Wrong.

Im not going to debate with you on a topic you know nothing about. Do some research about it, and I dont mean reading what other people on other biking, car etc forums say about it because chances are they dont know shit either. Read about what ACTUAL engineers who use it to build high performance cars, or things associate with the aerospace industry say about it then come back and debate the merits and performance of CF with me. Although im guessing at that point there wouldn't me much to debate about

In actuality heat would do more damage to CF before cold, but you would need to be snowboarding down a volcano before you notice the effects.
Sassicaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #93 (permalink)
Veteran Member

My god you're just a fucking idiot. Yeah my friends that design bindings and boards for a living know nothing at all. Fucking think before you post dipshit. Carbon when folded is weaker than when laid in a strip, if directly impacted it will crack that's why it's laid flat on boards or woven into a tube like the Ride Poprods and then placed into milled out cores to better protect it. There's also other things they do but I doubt your mind can comprehend that as you're all about trying to have a big dick swinging contest.

You're also arguing a different grade carbon fiber. You think a snowboard company is getting the same stuff that Bugatti is getting? Or for that matter NASA? Sure you could make a full aerograde carbon baseplate but the binding would cost 1,200 bucks and still suffer. At the end of the day if your set up is too heavy by a few ounces take a shit far cheaper than shelling out more for a slight weight loss. Or better yet get off your ass and ride more so your body is in better shape and accustomed to that slightly heavier binding.

I've ridden long enough to have seen the various incarnations of carbon in bindings and what it does. Doubt you have.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #94 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
Again Wrong.

Im not going to debate with you on a topic you know nothing about. Do some research about it, and I dont mean reading what other people on other biking, car etc forums say about it because chances are they dont know shit either. Read about what ACTUAL engineers who use it to build high performance cars, or things associate with the aerospace industry say about it then come back and debate the merits and performance of CF with me. Although im guessing at that point there wouldn't me much to debate about

In actuality heat would do more damage to CF before cold, but you would need to be snowboarding down a volcano before you notice the effects.
Fine, I'm an engineer, and I know bikes. You want Now's to cost $2200? K, then he can make them out of carbon. There are significantly different stresses going on in a snowboard binding than in a car or bike. Not to mention they have a lot more material to disperse the stresses over. You wanna talk small parts? The cheapest carbon track crank worth anything for stiffness is the FSA Carbon Pro at about $350, which is outperformed by Durace and even Omniums. The Campy CX Carbon Groupo is over $1k, and I'd still prefer to just throw Durace or Ultegra on my whip. A decent set of brake levers will cost you at least $150 if you want carbon.

So, tell me again how much better a carbon fiber NOW would be?

And lastly, if this was a viable construction don't you think Burton would be doing it if the cost was below $700? They aren't, cause you can't.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #95 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The biggest news from Flow this season is the New Fuse line. Full Active strap tech (NASTY) on a more Flexible platform (and at a lower price). Starting at $249 (MSRP).

Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #96 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
The biggest news from Flow this season is the New Fuse line. Full Active strap tech (NASTY) on a more Flexible platform (and at a lower price). Starting at $249 (MSRP).

nice to see more flexy additions, just bought nx2 se but always nice to see flow coming out with new p line
Weipim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #97 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Some Vid of what Flow has added in terms of ABT Tech.

Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #98 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Fine, I'm an engineer, and I know bikes. You want Now's to cost $2200? K, then he can make them out of carbon. There are significantly different stresses going on in a snowboard binding than in a car or bike. Not to mention they have a lot more material to disperse the stresses over. You wanna talk small parts? The cheapest carbon track crank worth anything for stiffness is the FSA Carbon Pro at about $350, which is outperformed by Durace and even Omniums. The Campy CX Carbon Groupo is over $1k, and I'd still prefer to just throw Durace or Ultegra on my whip. A decent set of brake levers will cost you at least $150 if you want carbon.

So, tell me again how much better a carbon fiber NOW would be?

And lastly, if this was a viable construction don't you think Burton would be doing it if the cost was below $700? They aren't, cause you can't.
Congratulations on being an engineer. That doesn't mean you build airplanes, cars or satellites using CF nor does it mean you know shot about it. I addition my previous posts we talking about how CF can be used in snowboard bindings, and how the cold does not effect it etc Eric. Not sure what the point of your post is.

As far as cost, and especially in the sport if biking I'm afraid that sport is a bit d a victim of marketing. Yes, carbon fiber is expensive, but its not out of reach. Also why are you saying burton doesn't use carbon fiber in their bindings!? Diodes?

I have plenty of carbon finer parts in my car, and I can assure you it performs at conditions far beyond anything a binding would need. I have talked with the actual guys that design Porsche, and I know exactly why CF is used.

It can be used in bindings, it is used in bindings, and while the cost goes up its nt out of reach.
Sassicaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #99 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
Congratulations on being an engineer. That doesn't mean you build airplanes, cars or satellites using CF nor does it mean you know shot about it. I addition my previous posts we talking about how CF can be used in snowboard bindings, and how the cold does not effect it etc Eric. Not sure what the point of your post is.

As far as cost, and especially in the sport if biking I'm afraid that sport is a bit d a victim of marketing. Yes, carbon fiber is expensive, but its not out of reach. Also why are you saying burton doesn't use carbon fiber in their bindings!? Diodes?

I have plenty of carbon finer parts in my car, and I can assure you it performs at conditions far beyond anything a binding would need. I have talked with the actual guys that design Porsche, and I know exactly why CF is used.

It can be used in bindings, it is used in bindings, and while the cost goes up its nt out of reach.
How and what I know of carbon fiber is my business. I have nothing to prove to you. You clearly have something to prove to us though.

You wanted them to lighten up the NOWS with carbon. I told you why that's dumb. Tell me again how my post was irrelevant? Oh and the Diode is a carbon fiber highback with Carbon (not fiber) in the POLYCARB base. The carbon in the base does not lighten it up, it stiffens it.

I couldn't give a rats ass who you've talked to. Name dropping does nothing for me. Again I put forth, if Burton could make a binding out of Carbon for less than $700, they'd have done it. They haven't. It's not cost effective.

Really to settle this, is there anyone out there with a digital scale that has a pair of NOW's and maybe like Cartels or something? They aren't that heavy anyway.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #100 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

"Gear preview thread" not "arguing about carbon-fibre thread". Start a new thread or something.

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote