Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   My board looks like this after a fresh wax & tune and only 1 day of riding? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/53297-my-board-looks-like-after-fresh.html)

onthefence 01-09-2013 07:18 AM

My board looks like this after a fresh wax & tune and only 1 day of riding?

1 Attachment(s)
I waxed and got a tune, then rode for 8 hours. Is it normal for my board to look like this already? The edges look dried out like I need another wax already :dunno:

Lamps 01-09-2013 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onthefence (Post 563565)
I waxed and got a tune, then rode for 8 hours. Is it normal for my board to look like this already? The edges look dried out like I need another wax already :dunno:

Was it a hand wax or belt wax?

If it was a quickie belt wax and you were riding all day particularly if on man made snow I could see this happening. Hand waxing penetrates the base better and lasts a little longer, so if it was a proper hand wax I'd be a bit surprised to have it worn off so soon.

I ride a lot of man made snow and bought an iron, 2 brushes (on nylon, one metal), a scraper and some wax; it doesn't take long to pay for itself, and it takes less time to wax the board then it does to drop it off and pick it up from a shop.

chomps1211 01-09-2013 07:44 AM

I'm pretty sure that's normal. My board edges start to look like that after only a couple runs, let alone after 8 hours. (...and I've got a white base on my Arbor,.. so that Black base is probably noticeably worse, sooner!)

Once that cloudy, dried out strip along my edges, is more than an inch or two wide, or larger patches start showing up in the center of the base, then I worry about needing another wax job!

(BTW, did my very first DIY wax on my new Rome GR. I thought I did a pretty crappy job of it, used WAY too much wax, shitty scrape & buff job and all! But it rode GREAT last night at the local!!! Fast as shit compared to fresh out the wrapper!!) :D

onthefence 01-09-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamps (Post 563569)
Was it a hand wax or belt wax?

If it was a quickie belt wax and you were riding all day particularly if on man made snow I could see this happening. Hand waxing penetrates the base better and lasts a little longer, so if it was a proper hand wax I'd be a bit surprised to have it worn off so soon.

This was a hot hand wax, done myself. I too was surprised it looks like this so soon.

Oldman 01-09-2013 08:29 AM

If you ride man made on the ice Coast, your deck can look like this in no time. Next time you wax, try this:

On the outer two inches of your board, right along each edge, use a much harder, cold temp, wax. Then use your regular all temp ( if that is what you are using ) on the rest of the board. Your edges will always take a beating and the harder wax along the edges will prolong the lifespan of your wax job. Don't worry about mixing the waxes. Many of us who wax often mix up our own "special" blends.

I tend to to do this 80% of the time when I wax as I am more often than not riding man made. Remember riding on man made is one very small step away from riding on ice.

Lamps 01-09-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onthefence (Post 563573)
This was a hot hand wax, done myself. I too was surprised it looks like this so soon.

Maybe you were really ripping up the hill. Good work.

apintojr 01-09-2013 08:50 AM

My forum scally is infamous for that. after a fresh wax and a nice day of riding my scally along the edges turns white.

Gonna try oldman tips with a harder wax for the edges.

Extremo 01-09-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldman (Post 563584)
If you ride man made on the ice coast on mostly man made now, your deck can look like this in no time. Next time you wax, try this:

On the outer two inches of your board, right along each edge, use a much harder, cold temp, wax. Then use your regular all temp ( if that is what you are using ) on the rest of the board. Your edges will always take a beating and the harder wax along the edges will prolong the lifespan of your wax job. Don't worry about mixing the waxes. Many of us who wax often mix up our own "special" blends.

I tend to to do this 80% of the time when I wax as I am more often than not riding man made. Remember riding on man made is one very small step away from riding on ice.

I ride the ice coast and even with Swix Green wax (hard, cold temp) it still does the same thing. I hate scraping hard waxes so I don't find it worth it. Just get some rub on wax and apply to the edges as needed to supplement your hot waxes.

kaka 01-09-2013 09:17 AM

Man-made snow will do that, did to mine. I may be wrong but a new board at the beginning will wear out wax fast and dry out. I wax mine every time out for the first 5-6 times out, then the board starts to hold the wax better, and this doesn't happen so much.

Also, the type of wax makes of difference I'm sure, but I don't really know enough about this to comment further.

BurtonAvenger 01-09-2013 09:44 AM

Got to love that crown plastics base. Curse of the Never Summers.