Women's beginner/intermediate boards? Lux or others? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Women's beginner/intermediate boards? Lux or others?

Hi,

I'm helping my wife select a first snowboard. Any insights would be appreciated. here are the details:

-don't need much help w/sizing
-likely ride 10-15 days per year out west (co, utah, ca)...so not too much ice/crud hopefully
-probably no park
-beginner (2 days ridden so far), but expect fast progression b/c she's an advanced surfer....so nothing that is strictly oriented towards beginners
-possibly twin or directional-twin because she surfs with either foot forward 70%-30%, so may be likely to ride fakie even outside the park...but I guess this isn't the main consideration
-ruled out: ride compact, salomon lotus, and burton feather
-considering: burton lux rocker

any other ideas, or input on the lux?

thanks!
soopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Do you have budget considerations? Also, if I'm not mistaken the Lux is a jib board. You might want to consider something more all-mountain freestyle if she isn't riding a lot of park. Look at stuff like the Arbor Cadence, Rome Lo-Fi Rocker, Roxy Ollie Pop, and a wildcard like the Yes Basic.
Treegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

I like Burton. I am a 27 year old woman who started riding last year and right now I have an Oxygen board (bought it cheap on Craigslist last year to start out), upgraded from Oxygen bindings (that came w/ board) to K2 Charm bindings which I love, and upgraded Fifty One Fifty boots to Burton Cocoa boots which fit/feel/look great. This summer I'm going to go shopping around for a Burton board (cheaper during summer of course) but may go with something else cuz I know Burton boards (donno if it's just some or ALL now) require you to have Burton bindings because of the set up. Donno about the one you're asking about in particular, but I know Burton is great.
XxSnowbunnyxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Resident poet

Gnu ladies choice has C2Btx, Magne-Traction and Pickle Tech. It would be a board that has room for her to progress for at least a couple years.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks this is all very helpful!

Budget isn't a major concern, but of course cheaper is better.....
soopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
Gnu ladies choice has C2Btx, Magne-Traction and Pickle Tech. It would be a board that has room for her to progress for at least a couple years.
In following wrath's great suggestion, that is definitely a board you cannot go wrong with, Mervin makes both GNU and Roxy boards so if colors or something become important you can look at the Roxy Eminence C2Btx. For clarity's sake the boards I mentioned earlier are all more in line, price wise, with the ones you had eliminated. The Gnu Ladies Choice and the Eminence are the cream of the crop and are priced accordingly.
Treegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

I ride the Eminence and LOVE it! It's similar to the Ollie Pop which I also really love. They are both C2 BTX from Mervin...rocker/camber hybrid, both have magnetraction (which it doesn't sound like she will need) The Eminence is lighter, faster and stiffer than the OP, but both are super fun boards.

The Arbor Cadence is cool too...it's rocker with grip tech (again probably not a real benefit in her case)...it's pretty flexy and while a park board by design, it's really a great all mountain board.

The Cadence comes in at $399, OP $449, Eminence $539. The Eminence is my favorite of the three-but I'm totally biased. Any of the three will serve her well for what you describe...as I am sure a bunch of other boards would too...these are just three I have experience with.
stealthyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxSnowbunnyxX View Post
but may go with something else cuz I know Burton boards (donno if it's just some or ALL now) require you to have Burton bindings because of the set up. Donno about the one you're asking about in particular, but I know Burton is great.
There are some companies that are making bindings that can be used with the burton boards now. I just picked up a pair of the Union Flite bindings, and you can get the special disk to be used with the burton system. Just thought I would throw that out there for you...because I just bought a full set up and looked at so many different bindings that my eyes hurt. lol
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer View Post
There are some companies that are making bindings that can be used with the burton boards now. I just picked up a pair of the Union Flite bindings, and you can get the special disk to be used with the burton system. Just thought I would throw that out there for you...because I just bought a full set up and looked at so many different bindings that my eyes hurt. lol
Yeah, I was just looking for a board for my sister and we bought her bindings first. Burton Citizens were a steal a colorado ski and golf. Anyway one store had a Burton Lipstick on sale for a steal as well with the EST bindings. We could have ordered a converter for the bindings. They didn't have her size unfortunately so we went with a TWC Burton board, although it's a mens board, it has a great flex and she loves it.

I ride a GNU B-Nice and if she is doing well I would go with a GNU-BPro. A better board with rocker camber rocker instead of just rocker, magnetraction and banana tech. Little less flex but still bouncy. I am not a fan of pickle technology. Another board I really adore, is the Never Summer Lotus but I have never ridden than one.

Good luck and let us know which board she gets and how she likes it.

PS Magnetraction in Colorado isn't as necessary as it is on the east coast but I have hit some ice patches that made me extremely thankful that I have it.

PPS I agree with a previous poster. Go with an all mountain board.
DesireeM81 is offline   Reply With Quote