Need help for Kid's Beginner - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need help for Kid's Beginner

I have been searching quite a bit around in this forum and got some usefull clues, but over all am still clueless
I have a 6 year old boy, turning 7 end of this month, and he really wants his own snowboard for his b-day. He hasn't been doing much snowboarding (3 days at the age of 3 and one day last year), so he really is a total beginner.
My own snowboard days are way too long ago to know anything about it (I used to board in hardboots back then). He is eager to get out an learn, and we are actually plan on going on a week trip for his b-day.
Since he is growing like weed right now, I don't really want to spend too much on a board, boots and bindings, since he will be using it probably for no more than one season. I'd like to stay below $200 for everything. I know that is really though, but I have looked at sites like boardsforless.com and they have complete sets for around $160. Not sure if those are worth anything and are any good for a kid beginner. I have looked at used once, but they seem to be hard to find. Renting is awlays an option, but since the board is on the very top of his wishlist, I would love to get one.
I was looking at 110 to 115 boards. He is quite tall for his age at 4'-3" (avreage weight) and I measured the bottom of hid nose just below the 115 mark.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your guys' help
slotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Resident poet

I just did used stuff from a swap or cl until the kids decided and committed to help buy their own. I'd also suggest check about a seasonal lease/rent (around here its about $200 for the season...boots, board and bindings) from a local core shop...that way if he grows or progresses out of something during the season you could size up without any additional or very minimal cost; and its often better stuff than renting at the hill and it will be a package that will be consistent for him (instead of renting each time from the hill).
Old 01-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
I just did used stuff from a swap or cl until the kids decided and committed to help buy their own. I'd also suggest check about a seasonal lease/rent (around here its about $200 for the season...boots, board and bindings) from a local core shop...that way if he grows or progresses out of something during the season you could size up without any additional or very minimal cost; and its often better stuff than renting at the hill and it will be a package that will be consistent for him (instead of renting each time from the hill).
Agree with this - look on craigslist or ebay or kijiji for a kids board and bindings in about the right size for him, consider getting boots new. ALso there are usually board swaps each fall where you can sell stuff and replace with the next size up.

My daughter is 8, she picked her board out last year at a clearance sale/swap, it was a used board that somebody traded in, I got it for $50. (burton chicklet). You can always rent but it's a hassle, and kids often get stoked about having their own stuff, putting stickers on and so on....
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
Agree with this - look on craigslist or ebay or kijiji for a kids board and bindings in about the right size for him, consider getting boots new. ALso there are usually board swaps each fall where you can sell stuff and replace with the next size up.

My daughter is 8, she picked her board out last year at a clearance sale/swap, it was a used board that somebody traded in, I got it for $50. (burton chicklet). You can always rent but it's a hassle, and kids often get stoked about having their own stuff, putting stickers on and so on....

Been checking on Craigslist forever. Missed one great kids board by half an hour. I live in Los Angeles, the market is really tough and overpriced on used items. $50 for a Burton chicklet, sounds amazing (though my son would kill me if I get a chicklet ).
Season renting is pretty much the same as buying new around here. And yes, kids love to have their own.
Bottom line seems to be, you guys recommend staying away from the cheaper boards and try to find quality used boards, right?
Old 01-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Resident poet

Get the cheapest...at 6 yrs old he doesn't know otherwise and any performance is very negligible at that size....its basically a shaped stick, the right size with edges. Perhaps put on cl...a wanted post. Around here folks have tons of stuff and I could completely outfit 2-4 people with all the shit from my basement...sorry got rid of the little kids stuff years ago...otherwise I just send you a board and bindings.

edit...getting kids performance stuff is a bit of a two edged sword...it can be costly and it can beat their ass unless they are aggressive and determined...then it can be a good deal. At 7 my daughter was riding a 130, at 9 she was on a 148 freeride stiffy and at 12 she had a 155 pow board....all are way too big but she was a tenacious and aggressive little peanut (now at 18 she is only 125# and 5'2" and mainly skis AT174 fatty twins that are 115 underfoot)...determined to keep up with her two older brothers. Of course now 10 years later she blows both of them out of the water and nobody in the family can keep up.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 01-09-2013 at 01:46 PM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotti View Post
Been checking on Craigslist forever. Missed one great kids board by half an hour. I live in Los Angeles, the market is really tough and overpriced on used items. $50 for a Burton chicklet, sounds amazing (though my son would kill me if I get a chicklet ).
Season renting is pretty much the same as buying new around here. And yes, kids love to have their own.
Bottom line seems to be, you guys recommend staying away from the cheaper boards and try to find quality used boards, right?
Ebay is your friend, here's a Burton chopper without bindings for $30 and one with bindings for $90. There's a bunch of other options, have the kid do the buy with you online and then he can watch the mailbox for it to arrive.

111 cm Burton Chopper Junior Snowboard A | eBay

Burton Chopper 111cm Snowboard with Burton Grom Bindings XLNT | eBay
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
Ebay is your friend, here's a Burton chopper without bindings for $30 and one with bindings for $90. There's a bunch of other options, have the kid do the buy with you online and then he can watch the mailbox for it to arrive.

111 cm Burton Chopper Junior Snowboard A | eBay

Burton Chopper 111cm Snowboard with Burton Grom Bindings XLNT | eBay
Thanks, that helps a ton.
What do you think about this one:
Kids 115 cm snowboard and bindings
It's local, so I could actually pick it up and check it out. Haven't heard anything about duke moto rage though.
On a seperate note, I checked at a local surf shop and they are trying to get rid of the inventory, they have a woox board (new) with used (but very nice) salomon bindings and new boots for $170 total. Only downside, the color mix (checker board b/w board, red bindings and black and yellow boots). Neber heard of woox either though.
So far, the Burton w/ bindings on ebay seems to be the top runner, it's just that I'd rather pick something in person (got screwed on ebay before).
Old 01-29-2013, 08:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks to all of you.
Ended up picking up a board, bindings and shoes at a consignment store that I found on CL.
Got a really nice Burton Chopper 118 with Burton bindings (maybe used 5 times), plus DC boots (maybe worn once) for $100 total.
My son had a blast so far. Been out over the last 3 weekends, and you see more wear on the equipment than when I bought it ;-).
Old 01-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

I don't know if this will qualify as "his own" enough ...but maybe. Sports Authority does a seasonal rental. My boys all get a Burton set up, board, bindings, and boots every year for $99. Then after the season is over, we take them back. We've done this for 6 sets and have gotten new, unused gear each time. I think that's way cooler than buying used or cheap stuff that he can only use for that season anyway. In a sense having to get rid of it at the end of the season isn't really any different than giving it back to the store. At 6, he will need different gear next season...trust me. I have 3 boys, 4, 6, and 8.

Heck, I wish they had a similar program for adults.
Bauba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotti View Post
Thanks to all of you.
Ended up picking up a board, bindings and shoes at a consignment store that I found on CL.
Got a really nice Burton Chopper 118 with Burton bindings (maybe used 5 times), plus DC boots (maybe worn once) for $100 total.
My son had a blast so far. Been out over the last 3 weekends, and you see more wear on the equipment than when I bought it ;-).
Sorry, should've have read this post before posting my last post. Still might be good info for later years though I guess.
Bauba is offline   Reply With Quote