POW - billy goat or TRS? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default POW - billy goat or TRS?

Hello Fellow Snowboarders,

My name is Gabe and I am a 24 year old snowboarder from Germany (180 lbs, 6'1''). I have been surfing this forum for quite some time now, because there is much more information here about Mervin boards than in the European forums I am active in. Special thanks to Snowolf for his Billy Goat review!!

Still I wasn't able to make a decision about which board to get. Main requirement: FLOAT! But this will be my only board, so I would like to maintain the possibility to ride switch and occasioally hit a smaller kicker, but I never go to the park. My focus is on those long runs in the deep stuff where your legs burn!

I was convinced by the banana magic, but since this is very expensive I am now looking at the TRS and the Billy Goat. My questions are:

1. Which one should I chose for my riding style?
2. Which size (159 or 162)?
3. Is there another Mervin board that's even better for my riding style?

Many thanks in advance!!!
Gabe
gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Resident poet

I'm 5'6", 180 and ride a goat 159 split...or course a 161 will give you more float; I believe the goat is a tad stiffer which will be better in the pow. I will say that the goat does fine in the pow but is not a pow specific board like my charlie slasher which excels at deep pow...but the goat rips up terrain.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

check out the la nina, twin shaped with directional rocker
Old 01-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hi,

First of all thanks for the replies! The goat still sounds good.
Has anyone ridden the La Nina? The directional rocker sounds great for powder, but I am wondering if you can still ride it switch?

Gabe
Old 01-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

it will ride switch fine, the nose rocker is mellow and the set back is only an inch. There is a review on here, I think his name was "wasatch" something. The ride bezerker has close to the same profile.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

I found "WasatchMan" but couldn't find a single La Nina MC review here. Does anybody know the site thegoodride.com and do you have any impressions on this? All the boards are listed on there with their performance in powder, turn initiation and many other things:

La Nina MC

Gnu Billy Goat

Gabe

EDIT: Alright apparently noone here has ridden the La Nina MC. But perhaps you could still give me an advice on the size: 159 or 162? I ride a 161 camber board at the moment... Thanks in advance!

Last edited by gabe; 01-15-2013 at 02:16 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hey guys,

Any advice would really be appreciated! I can't get my hands on the Billy Goat here in Europe, there is no (online) dealer selling it except for one who wants to have the dollar price in euros (which makes it 1/3rd more expensive!). So if anybody here has ridden the La Nina MC please let me know how it is, because I don't want to rely on thegoodride.com....

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

Gabe

P.S.: The size question is answered: I will most likely get a 159 board!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Resident poet

what kind of powder is it? fluffy, dry, with or without bottom, wet and heavy, creamy, poo, mashed, chowder...etc? Are you set on lib gnu? Alot of folks like the powder snake, jones, charlie slasher, s rocker...just saying there are other options for powder boards and imo the billygoat and trs can work well in some powder conditions but they are not a powder specific board. If its deep and bottomless my charlie slasher 164 works alot better than the 159 goat.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 01-22-2013 at 10:49 AM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hey,

Thanks for the reply - the reason why I am looking at the Billy Goat and, since walove mentioned it, the La Nina MC is that I only want to have one board for everything. I mostly ride ressort-accessible powder, or at least that is where I need the board to perform well. The kind of powder depends on the conditions, here it can vary from dry deep powder where you can't see your next turn to the slushy heavy stuff. I naturally prefer type 1 Still I want to be able to ride switch from time to time, do some buttering or hit a small kicker.

The reason I want a powder-board (or let's say powder-friendly boad) is not that I dive the nose all the time, but that my rear leg burns so much that I have to pause to give it some rest. It is just very exhausting to ride powder on my camber board and I am hoping that with the camrock profile I will have to do less work to stay on top.

Thanks again for your advice!
Gabe

edit: and concerning lib/gnu: I like the idea of having the float of a rocker board combined with the mtx-edgehold. I did not have the chance to try one yet, but I like what I read and heard.

edit2: btw I already had decided to get the Banana Magic till I saw the price tag, that is why the TRS was on my list.

Last edited by gabe; 01-23-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

if you are doing powder you would not be buttering.

The billy goat is stiffer then the TRS and has a set back in place.

the BG will go over all the crud, its very damp and stiff.

the bg could also ride switch, but why would you on powder day for long?
24WERD is offline   Reply With Quote