Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Santa Cruz snowboards? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/53353-santa-cruz-snowboards.html)

Rihardszz 01-10-2013 09:53 AM

Santa Cruz snowboards?

Hello there.
Its a time for me to change snowboard.

I have a really nice offer for Santa Cruz snowboard. So I wanted to ask for other snowboarders opinion. How good are Santa Cruz snowboards?

Personally I have not heared about them before, so Im asking for help here.

Thanks

Rockpen 01-10-2013 09:56 AM

They make pretty rad mountain bikes. Would love a carbon Nomad but damn $$$$. I hear their boards aren't bad either.

bseracka 01-10-2013 10:35 AM

They were one of the early builders of snowboards, but now are only a marketing name and a memory like Sims, Lamar and Morrow. They're budget boards with limited tech, coming out of China.

Rihardszz 01-10-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bseracka (Post 564272)
They were one of the early builders of snowboards, but now are only a marketing name and a memory like Sims, Lamar and Morrow. They're budget boards with limited tech, coming out of China.

One person said that they are on the top list of Best Snowboards.... so I guess thats not right.

But if comparing to Raven(my first board) and Santa Cruz.. wich ones are better? Because Raven didnt make me regret that I bought it.

Rockpen 01-10-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bseracka (Post 564272)

Not too many brands that are not made in China anymore. I can't speak directly for their snowboards but a friend of mine has one and he likes it. And what brand isn't a marketing name? I can only speak for their mountain bikes which they make some of the sickest and most wanted bikes in the industry. Everybody I know wants a carbon V10 or Nomad which range from $5k to $7k depending on the componets.

G Steezy 01-10-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockpen (Post 564339)
Not too many brands that are not made in China anymore. I can't speak directly for their snowboards but a friend of mine has one and he likes it. And what brand isn't a marketing name?

Yeah but most big/good brands don't use factory specs. All the tech comes out of north America. Or at least Europe. K2, Burton, Rome, Lib Tech... These all have R&D HQs stateside. Bataleon is a European brand off the top of my head I can think of. Shit like Monson is what he's equating Santa Cruz to. Pressed out of a mould with little innovation. You're basic stick, nothing fancy. As for the name remark, I'm pretty sure he means that Santa Cruz is running off the fumes of their glory days. They're JUST a name. Not like back in the day when Santa Cruz had a sick pro skate and board team. That's why he also brought up Sims and Lamar... I still remember when Lamar was hype... Now its a brand sold in Sears.

Anyways, if you're on a budget or a beginner looking for a causal ride, get a Santa Cruz. If you wanna get it going, don't waste your money. And I sell this shit for a living.

bseracka 01-10-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G Steezy (Post 564357)
Yeah but most big/good brands don't use factory specs. All the tech comes out of north America. Or at least Europe. K2, Burton, Rome, Lib Tech... These all have R&D HQs stateside. Bataleon is a European brand off the top of my head I can think of. Shit like Monson is what he's equating Santa Cruz to. Pressed out of a mould with little innovation. You're basic stick, nothing fancy. As for the name remark, I'm pretty sure he means that Santa Cruz is running off the fumes of their glory days. They're JUST a name. Not like back in the day when Santa Cruz had a sick pro skate and board team. That's why he also brought up Sims and Lamar... I still remember when Lamar was hype... Now its a brand sold in Sears.

Anyways, if you're on a budget or a beginner looking for a causal ride, get a Santa Cruz. If you wanna get it going, don't waste your money. And I sell this shit for a living.

Exactly :eusa_clap:
I'd look at a year, or 2 old new, old stock board from a quality builder that you can pick up for close to the same price as a Santa Cruz. You can also look at a quality used board. Both options are going to be money better spent. As an example I picked up a 12 Signal Park Flat at the end of the season last year for $200.

G Steezy 01-10-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rihardszz (Post 564295)
One person said that they are on the top list of Best Snowboards.... so I guess thats not right.

But if comparing to Raven(my first board) and Santa Cruz.. wich ones are better? Because Raven didnt make me regret that I bought it.

You have much to learn, my padawan. :giggle:

Both of those brands are ACTUALLY terrible. Those are like... Big 5 (if you're american) or SportMart (if you're canadian) budget board brands. I wouldn't let an 8 year old near those with a 12 foot flamethrower.

As for whoever told you those are on the "top list of best snowboards"?
they're a dirty liar and you should kill them.

...I'm only partially serious.

here's the most prestigeous one Transworld Snowboarding 2012-2013 Good Wood Reviews

but you can find plenty of other ones that make no mention of Santa Cruz of Raven.

bseracka is right. You can find a lightly used QUALITY set up on craigslist or something for much cheaper. Stuff that I would use, even as a veteran of 15 years.

Rihardszz 01-10-2013 01:57 PM

So I did a little research.
Also wanted to say that im not a total begginer.. This is my fourth season. And Im allready in doing some jumps.

Here I found some boards. Could someone tell me witch one is the best option?
Also I want it for Freestyle. Mostly riding in a park.

Atomic - Terminal | eBay

Nidecker CULT 155cm 11/12 | eBay

K2 Brigade 159 W, Mod. 2012, Herren Snowboard 159cm _ 60821 | eBay

Only 1 problem. its in dutch.

G Steezy 01-10-2013 02:21 PM

Hilariously enough, none of those boards are a good choice for the park. A quick google search, which you can do yourself, confirmed my prior beliefs about the Brigade and the Terminal - namely that they're all mountain boards, not park stompers. If youre looking for a board specifically tuned to the park, you have a few choices to look over.

Here:
K2 Park and Rail Jibbing Boards

And the atomic snowboarding site is only in japanese now... which leads me to believe their shrinking into a niche market - makes sense considering I see plenty of Japanese homies here in Vancouver rocking Atomic.

Nidecker isn't REALLY on my radar being a Euroheavy brand, but once again, google to the rescue Nidecker Snowboard Selector

Happy hunting bro. And if money isn't an issue, I have plenty of other recommendations :)