You guys wanna help me pick out a board? (Sorry, I know there's a lot of these here) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 85
Default You guys wanna help me pick out a board? (Sorry, I know there's a lot of these here)

First, there's a ton of awesome information on here, so thanks for that. I've been lurking for a little bit but this is my first post.

So, a little info on myself...

I'm about 5'9", 155-160 lbs, and my boot size is 10.

I've only gone snowboarding 3 times now, but am really getting the hang of it, and I KNOW it's now going to be a lifelong sport of mine.

I've been borrowing a friend's board, it's a Lamar Vision 151. I don't know too much about it, and neither does he.

I did buy some boots already, some Burton Ruler's...and I absolutely love them. They killed my feet for the first hour or so while they were breaking in, but since then, they've been extremely comfortable.

So, on to the board....I'm in no huge rush to get it, and I don't want something that's just "beginner friendly" that I'm going to quickly grow out of. I'm not opposed to a board that may be a little more difficult to ride for now, but that I'll eventually be happier with. I live in Cleveland, so 99% of my riding will be here or maybe New York at Peak n Peak or Holiday Valley...with maybe a trip or two to the west coast, but not in the near future (I'm nowhere close to ready for that).

So, anyway, any suggestions you can toss my way would be helpful, price isn't a HUGE issue, but for my first board that I'll probably beat the crap out of, I'd rather not spend TOO much, and I'm also not opposed to buying used.

Thanks a lot, and if there's any more info I need to provide, just let me know!



EDIT: Sorry, just checked the FAQ...I'm 27, so I shouldn't be getting any taller (Unfortunately) and hopefully won't be getting any fatter.

Last edited by SuperNewb; 01-10-2013 at 11:20 AM.
SuperNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 77
Default

People are going to want to know what kind of riding you'll be doing, park, all mtn, freeride...

A lot of people here a big fans of Never Summer boards, a SL being a good all around board.
buddhafist24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhafist24 View Post
People are going to want to know what kind of riding you'll be doing, park, all mtn, freeride...

A lot of people here a big fans of Never Summer boards, a SL being a good all around board.
At least until I get really comfortable, I'm probably looking at a freeride board. I don't see myself getting into any fancy tricks or doing anything other than getting really comfortable building speed and getting the basics hammered down any time in the near future.

I'll have to look into the Never Summer boards...thanks for the quick reply!
SuperNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
stupidmop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNewb View Post
At least until I get really comfortable, I'm probably looking at a freeride board. I don't see myself getting into any fancy tricks or doing anything other than getting really comfortable building speed and getting the basics hammered down any time in the near future.

I'll have to look into the Never Summer boards...thanks for the quick reply!
I've been recommending this to other people on the forums: you may be interested in a Pick Your Line from Yes. I say that because it is a good quality board, very stable, and good for riding groomers and learning the basics of carving/turning. Not very good for tricks and riding park. It will cost you roughly $500 for a new one. Although, I bought a 2012 model (last year's model) at the beginning of this season at a huge discount (about $250 at my local board shop).

YES. SNOWBOARDS Pick Your Line

Probably the best advice we can give you is to learn a little about the different kind of boards here on the forums and then go into your local board shop and ask them. I say this because you will probably want someone with more knowledge to show you different binding/boot combinations with the board. When I bought my first set of equipment I went in to my local store and just bought everything at once, so I knew it would work out well.

Have fun!
stupidmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidmop View Post
I've been recommending this to other people on the forums: you may be interested in a Pick Your Line from Yes. I say that because it is a good quality board, very stable, and good for riding groomers and learning the basics of carving/turning. Not very good for tricks and riding park. It will cost you roughly $500 for a new one. Although, I bought a 2012 model (last year's model) at the beginning of this season at a huge discount (about $250 at my local board shop).

YES. SNOWBOARDS Pick Your Line

Probably the best advice we can give you is to learn a little about the different kind of boards here on the forums and then go into your local board shop and ask them. I say this because you will probably want someone with more knowledge to show you different binding/boot combinations with the board. When I bought my first set of equipment I went in to my local store and just bought everything at once, so I knew it would work out well.

Have fun!
Sounds good, I'll look into that. I went to the local shop here and bought my boots...the guy there seemed really knowledgable, and eager to help, so I'll do some research and maybe go back to see him. Maybe wait till the season is over to buy the board/bindings so I can try to snag a deal.
SuperNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
stupidmop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNewb View Post
Sounds good, I'll look into that. I went to the local shop here and bought my boots...the guy there seemed really knowledgable, and eager to help, so I'll do some research and maybe go back to see him. Maybe wait till the season is over to buy the board/bindings so I can try to snag a deal.
Yeah, I have a feeling that snowboards are kind of like cars: the shops try to roll out last years models during the off season. I bought my current board in early November. They seemed desperate to get last year's products off their floor.
stupidmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 73
Default

Stupidmop gave good advice about the Yes Pick Your Line. Never Summer products are great too. What I like about the Yes boards is that they are quality boards with cool artwork and not everyone and their sister has one. That why I ride a Nidecker Ultralight. Good luck.
Mpjames 09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums