Should I get a shorter board? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Should I get a shorter board?

Hey guys, i know it's asked a billion times but here it goes anyways,

I picked up boarding this year and went out and bought a new 161 Rome Factory Rocker (at 50% off discount off a last year model).

I'm 169lb, 6ft. I mostly ride local slopes in Ontario. I'm 27yr old with XL rome boot and bindings which I intend to keep.

I've been on the slopes about 6 full on days, and I really really strugle with it. I'm riding freestyle on powderless local slopes which I find very unforgiving. I don't really have any plans to hit the park anytime soon, but I do have a season pass and a few major trips planned later on in the winter.

Anyhow, do you guys think I should just suck it up and keep on practising, or should I try to get a smaller 156-158 deck? Will 3-4 cm really make a difference?

Thanks!

Last edited by Nomad; 01-10-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

a 158 or higher will be a lot more stable at higher speeds. anything lower will be easier to control but less stable. it makes a difference when learning, but not that much. make sure that you're boot and you're bindings fit well on the board and cover most or all of it
blockay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm pretty much the same height and weight and ride 3 different boards, all 157-158. I find the shorter boards a little quicker edge-to-edge, but I've ridden up to a 166 without a problem. I'd sooner think that your struggle might be with the rockered profile, given your description of the terrain you ride. I ride in New England where powder is almost non-existent...as many times as I've tried, I just can't get along with anything but camber between my feet. Rockered boards scare me to death on icy hard pack.
southy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

your board: Rocker Camber shape that is a hybrid camber combining the best of both worlds with rocker between the feet and traditional camber extending from the inserts to the nose and tail!

That tells me it's not the board!

Now, as far as the length, my friend is way shorter than you (5'7" I think ) and rides a stiff 162 and it' his second year! So, although size matters, I think you are within your size! I'm 6'-2 and one of my favorite boards is a 168! So, though size could be a factor, I don't think that's your main issue.

I would say ICE is your main problem learning! It doesn't help everytime you fall that it really hurts, you become more hesitatnt and bail out to complete your turns, etc.

Not sure what level you're at, but I'd pick a nice spot with snow cover and try and complete your S turns and then linking them. Once you get the confidenece, things will carry over to next level.

Oh... I started on a 168 when 1st got into snowboarding BTW!

So, keep the board and keep at it.

All the best...

Last edited by dice; 01-11-2013 at 11:07 AM.
dice is offline   Reply With Quote