Which Boot? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 02:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
BRTiger

Default Which Boot?

Here is my dilemma. I would like to buy a pair of boots this season but I live in the South and cannot try them on before purchasing. I know I should try on as many types and brands as possible but I do not have the luxury of a Snow Sports store near by (nearest store is ~ 4 hours away). It would be nice to take advantage of the end of the year sales instead of spending $300 next season at one of the resort areas (there are some pretty good deals out there right now). In the past, I have only rented Salomon boots but have been happy with both sets (true to size and comfortable). I ride mostly all-mountain with the occasional park adventure. I only get the chance to ride 2-3 times per season with a total of 12-15 days on the mountain. My ridding level is closer to intermediate than beginner but I am not quite ready to call myself intermediate. I come from a skate and a bit of skiing background. As far as the type of boot, I want an all around boot that is neither too stiff nor too flexible (something quality but in the middle flex range 6-7ish). My current setup is a NS Heritage 155 and Flow M11 bindings.

I want to go with Salomon but what kind (I'm thinking Synapse, F20 or Maori)?

Will the Synapse be too stiff and/or will the F20s be too flexible for my riding style?

Are the Maori a good boot to grow with or are they just a step above entry-level boots?

All comments and any other recommendations are welcome.

Last edited by BRTiger; 04-30-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2008, 04:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

If you don't mind me asking, where do you live?

You have to try the boots on before you buy them. Don't make the same mistake I made. Although the other option you have is to find an online store that has a very light policy on returns, that way you can return the boots if they don't fit right.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
DVS TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRTiger View Post
Here is my dilemma. I would like to buy a pair of boots this season but I live in the South and cannot try them on before purchasing. I know I should try on as many types and brands as possible but I do not have the luxury of a Snow Sports store near by (nearest store is ~ 4 hours away). It would be nice to take advantage of the end of the year sales instead of spending $300 next season at one of the resort areas (there are some pretty good deals out there right now). In the past, I have only rented Salomon boots but have been happy with both sets (true to size and comfortable). I ride mostly all-mountain with the occasional park adventure. I only get the chance to ride 2-3 times per season with a total of 12-15 days on the mountain. My ridding level is closer to intermediate than beginner but I am not quite ready to call myself intermediate. I come from a skate and a bit of skiing background. As far as the type of boot, I want an all around boot that is neither too stiff nor too flexible (something quality but in the middle flex range 6-7ish). My current setup is a NS Heritage 155 and Flow M11 bindings.

I want to go with Salomon but what kind (I'm thinking Synapse, F20 or Maori)?

Will the Synapse be too stiff and/or will the F20s be too flexible for my riding style?

Are the Maori a good boot to grow with or are they just a step above entry-level boots?

All comments and any other recommendations are welcome.

Tiger,
Are you only looking at Solomon boots, or are you open to try some different things? Depending on how much time you spend on the mountain when you go riding, I would recommend looking into 32's lashed boots. You can find them for under $150 right now and they are well worth it. They are extremely comfortable and I have no problem rocking them out all day. Right now I am rocking out the 06 Lashed Bling Edition's (White and Chrome, with fake diamonds on them). They run very true to size too. I wear an 11 normally and that's what size Lashed I fit into. Just a suggestion.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
BRTiger

Simply,

I live in Baton Rouge and the nearest (real) store is in Houston. We have a couple of box stores but they pick up the snow stuff early (like the beginning of Feb) and they do not have much of a selection. I was thinking the same thing about the returns. I talked to a couple of stores and they will let me return the boots if they do not fit. It sounds like you might have been in the same boat a while back. Thanks for the input.

DVS,

I'm kind of stuck on Salomon but not 100% just yet. I really liked the fit and comfort but I do not have a lot to compare it to. My brother bought some DCs and is not happy so far. A good bit of people have recommended Salomon and that with my limited experience is what I have to go on. However, I will take a look and the 32 line. I am open to all suggestions at this point due to the fact that I am some what limited in this area. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mirax H

You might consider Vans. My guy and I tried on a ton of boots each and both of us wound up with Vans. The fit us the best and were the most comfortable.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
DVS TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRTiger View Post
Simply,

I live in Baton Rouge and the nearest (real) store is in Houston. We have a couple of box stores but they pick up the snow stuff early (like the beginning of Feb) and they do not have much of a selection. I was thinking the same thing about the returns. I talked to a couple of stores and they will let me return the boots if they do not fit. It sounds like you might have been in the same boat a while back. Thanks for the input.

DVS,

I'm kind of stuck on Salomon but not 100% just yet. I really liked the fit and comfort but I do not have a lot to compare it to. My brother bought some DCs and is not happy so far. A good bit of people have recommended Salomon and that with my limited experience is what I have to go on. However, I will take a look and the 32 line. I am open to all suggestions at this point due to the fact that I am some what limited in this area. Thanks for the recommendation.

Tiger,
Once you find boots that your comfortable with stay with that line until you feel a change is necessary. I just wasn't sure how sold you were on Salomon, that's why I made the suggestion. I have myself rode Ride, DC, Northwave, Vans, and now I am rocking the 32's. Everyone is different, what may feel perfect for me, may suck for you. As much as it sucks, sometimes the trips are necessary to find something that you may have not thought of before that you really like. I have nothing against Salomon, I ski as well and I am rocking a complete Salomon set up in that because I love the fit. Another thing to consider is what kind of riding you are going to be doing when you do get the chance to get out. A lot of us park guys will look for a more flexible boot, where freeride people like them a little stiffer. But if you like the Salomon's and they are comfortable, rock them out again.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Arrow Thirty Two is the Mack

08 Men's Snowboard Boots - Forum, ThirtyTwo, Rome Snowboards

For this price you cannot go wrong. This is a six NOT eight pound pair of boots.
THIRTY TWO Ultralight Boot
See details

Market price: $299.00
Our price: $194.35
save 35%

Personally, I got the Forum KickerSRL boots this season and they absolutely rock. My new favorite boot after using the Burton Ion for years. (very similar)
Old 05-04-2008, 03:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
BRTiger

Anyone else bought boots online? What were your experiences (good and bad)?

Anyone have opinions of the Salomon boots listed (Maori, Synapse, F20)?
Old 05-04-2008, 10:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Ebay is great...make sure they have a return policy. Salomon had a very small volume compared to Burton boots, which are the best for my feet. Burton boots have the best lacing system, great durability, and perfect flex depending on the type of boot you get. Driver X is the best snowboard boot made..period.
DC, sloppy fit and unrealiable (for me); vans, unrealiable fit; Salomon did not have the right fit for my foot, but looked very well made side by side with the other USA companies. Atomic boots are Killer and their Boa system is great too.
matt
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
pintizzle

Shoreline of Tahoe have a good amount of Salomons in stock. Pretty good deals too! And they have a pretty loose return policy. Give them a call and they can answer any questions and might be able to give you better deals also.
775-588-8777