My board can't hold an edge. - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 12:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Could be the first shop, could be that Mervins are made more by hand than Chinese made boards and thusly are made less accurate. There might be something off in your core.

Go find a 2010 Burton Super Model and lay some trenches.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 12:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well its easy to tell if your edges are sharp or not by feeling them with your fingers.
seant46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:49 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seant46 View Post
Well its easy to tell if your edges are sharp or not by feeling them with your fingers.
That doesn't seem the be the problem. I'm sure I and the many shopkeepers who tune my board know when the edges are sharp. The problem is that when I get onto an edge it is very difficult to stay on the edge.

To put it in perspective: I have had two professional snowboarders ride my board. Both proceeded to slip out and had to work to hold an edge.

It's not a horrible problem and I have worked with this board for years, this is just something I have noticed and was curious about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Could be the first shop, could be that Mervins are made more by hand than Chinese made boards and thusly are made less accurate. There might be something off in your core.

Go find a 2010 Burton Super Model and lay some trenches.
Honestly, this wouldn't stop me from buying another Lib Tech. This board has served me well.
And while I had wondered if it was the first shop, I never thought of the more hand made aspect. I knew they are but I hadn't put much thought into it past that. Kind of cool.
AliCatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Hmm well if that is actually the case maybe when it was being tuned they were grinding the edge at some fucked up angle. You know how some park boards have a beveled edge? Maybe they did something like that but way too extreme which is causing the slipping out. Anyways thats all I can think of
Old 01-11-2013, 12:59 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seant46 View Post
Hmm well if that is actually the case maybe when it was being tuned they were grinding the edge at some fucked up angle. You know how some park boards have a beveled edge? Maybe they did something like that but way too extreme which is causing the slipping out. Anyways thats all I can think of
That seems to be the most common answer.
It just sucks, you know?
The good news is that I never catch edges on rails
AliCatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:01 AM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

haha yeah just get someone else to tune it for that next board hopefully thats it
Old 01-11-2013, 07:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
Resident poet

I suspect the angles are different...perhaps get a base grind and then spec the angles for the tune. On the other hand...get a billygoat....I've demo'd the b-pro a few times/days, its fun and almost bought it...but got a billygoat...and the goat is noticiably better/nimble...ime. Also couple weeks ago rode the chair with a local gal and she noted it was the best board she's ridden for baker terrain. However it seems like if ur racing and such...why not have a cambered fr stiffy like an old option women's trinity....really nice for big fast stable carves....the goat is also fast but more nimble and a tad less stable...though again perhaps it depends on the course ur running. However both the b-pro and billygoat have a podium history at the little race on the hill.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 01-11-2013 at 07:28 AM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edge, gnu