My board can't hold an edge. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My board can't hold an edge.

I have come to the realization that my all-mountain board can't hold an edge. It makes me an unstable rider, and I'm not quite sure what to do about it.

I am riding a '09/10 GNU B-Pro. Now, I know that is old but I first noticed this the second season I had it, when I switched boards with a coach. I made a remark on how it felt different, but I didn't recognize what was wrong at this point.
Last season, I got a race board. (Rome Blue) I assumed that I was able to hold an edge so well BECAUSE it was a race board, and not because my GNU was inadequate. But when I switched boards with two more coaches, they were amazed that I was able to turn at all, and I watched them slip out down the entire mountain.

Being a competitive rider, I get my board tuned professionally multiple times a season, but this doesn't seem to do anything. Has anyone else had this problem? Was it something I did? Does anyone have any advice?
AliCatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Not sure, but I live on the ice coast and I can still carve perfectly fine with edges as dull as a butter knife. You cant lay as aggressive as a carve yes, but a rider can still ride.

It could be you just really liked the feel of that race board you tried.
seant46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seant46 View Post
Not sure, but I live on the ice coast and I can still carve perfectly fine with edges as dull as a butter knife. You cant lay as aggressive as a carve yes, but a rider can still ride.

It could be you just really liked the feel of that race board you tried.
I probably should have mentioned that one of my coaches has the exact same board '09/'10 GNU B-Pro and it felt completely different.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Its you, not the board. Maybe gets come coaching in carving. I can lay down a rail with my bataleon and it doesnt even have magne traction....
blunted_nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It shouldn't make THAT much of a difference.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunted_nose View Post
Its you, not the board. Maybe gets come coaching in carving. I can lay down a rail with my bataleon and it doesnt even have magne traction....
I probably should mention once again that one of my coaches has the exact same board '09/'10 GNU B-Pro and it felt completely different.

I have been training for years in both race and freestyle. I think I know how to carve.

Quote:
It shouldn't make THAT much of a difference.
It hasn't. I have been competing on this board for years and doing just fine. I rode it at Nationals last season. It's just something I noticed and has been bothering me ever since. I was curious if it happened to anyone else and if there is anything I can do about it. Kind of weird how two boards of the same year and model ride so differently.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Its tuned professionally a few times a season you said. Its you most likely
Old 01-11-2013, 12:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Its tuned professionally a few times a season you said. Its you most likely
I bought the board late in spring 2010, got it tuned winter 2010 and noticed it before the next tune. That would be ONE tune.
I believe it has gotten worse since then, but unless that one shop really fucked up...
Old 01-11-2013, 12:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

If you ride it that much you need more and better tunes done. My sons race board gets a tune every race and once a month before. Get it tuned by someone else, they may have fucked up your edge. There is a tune, then there is a tune by someone that knows what they are doing, then there is a race tune.....
Argo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo View Post
If you ride it that much you need more and better tunes done. My sons race board gets a tune every race and once a month before. Get it tuned by someone else, they may have fucked up your edge. There is a tune, then there is a tune by someone that knows what they are doing, then there is a race tune.....
I don't recall where I first got this board tuned, but I know it was in a different state than where I get it tuned now, so I'm in the clear, haha. I wonder if this guy really messed up my edge because other than the edge I love(d) this board.

I found a really great guy to do my race tunes, so I think I'm just going to buy a new park board and bring it to the same shop whenever it's time.

Tags
edge, gnu