1st Board... K2 Darkstar?? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
StevezAU

Default 1st Board... K2 Darkstar??

Hi,

I've only been boarding for the past 2 years, i'm not that great yet but i'm getting there..

I plan on doing alot of trips to the snow this year and want to purchase my own board...

I've been told to get the K2 Darkstar but cannot find much info on this forum about it...

People tell me it's a park board, is this right???

I'm probably after an beginner to intermediate board.. I've never really been interested in the park or have ever used it so yeah..

is K2 Darkstar a good choice or have u got other suggestions?

PS: i have a farily big foot so i need a wider board..

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2008, 06:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
pintizzle

K2 Darkstar isnt a bad board, but I dont know if it will be the best for you or not.. There are plenty of other boards out there that might be better.. What kind of riding are you going to be doing? What size board would you be looking at?

Shoreline of Tahoe
Old 04-30-2008, 11:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'd say its a good board and will hold out quite well when you get better. I don't think its much of a jib board, more of a general park board.

What is your height, weight and boot size? Where are you planning on going? (West coast, East?) What are you actually planning on doing once you get better - more mountain or park...

Other good boards to check out would be the Rome Graft, a Gnu CHB MTX, and the Sierra Crew (The Crew is basically a Capita Stairmaster, except sold for a lower price because its under the Sierra brand.)
Minger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
StevezAU

I'm actually in Australia.. I'll be going to the snow here 4-5 times this year then im going to japan for 1-2 weeks in Dec...

I'm not really after the park board, i enjoy riding the mountian more.. (for now anyway)..

Board Hight 154-156 (from memory)
Weight: 80kg

I was actually going to look at some burton or ride boards.. just not to sure what to get.. money is not really a problem, i just want something decent thats gonna last a few years.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 05-01-2008, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

80 kg ~= 176 pounds. I think I'd say get a 157 or 160, but I'm sure theres guys here that know sizing better than I do.

That...and check out sierrasnowboard.com. They do international shipping now (except on a few brands, such as Burton) and well, its cheap - half off.
Minger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minger View Post
80 kg ~= 176 pounds. I think I'd say get a 157 or 160, but I'm sure theres guys here that know sizing better than I do.

That...and check out sierrasnowboard.com. They do international shipping now (except on a few brands, such as Burton) and well, its cheap - half off.
stick with a 154/55. the darkstar is an amazing board.
rgrwilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
BadMojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevezAU View Post

I'm probably after an beginner to intermediate board.. I've never really been interested in the park or have ever used it so yeah..

is K2 Darkstar a good choice or have u got other suggestions?

PS: i have a farily big foot so i need a wider board..

Thanks
What is your boot size? If its 11+ you would probably want a wide. If you do decide to go w/ the Darkstar, go with the AfterBlack instead (gotta love these cheesy names). It is almost exactly like the DarkStar (same stats, etc), but in a wide package. The K2 website has alot of info on both boards, so you can compare and see how similiar they are. It also has rider reviews.
I have a size 12 boot , so I almost bought the AfterBlack. I decided the Rome Machine was a bit better for my interests, being more jib-oriented, while the AfterBlack is described as an "all mountain-park board". Plus, and this in no way should be any sort of factor at all, but the Machine looks much better .
I reccomend to you? The Rome Manual, w/ Rome Arsenal bindings. Ease into the scene and get some confidence in your riding, and hit up a little of everything. Or a lot of everything. Plus, it's a twin, so riding switch will come more easily.