Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Whats correct detuning for amptek hybrid boards? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/53809-whats-correct-detuning-amptek-hybrid-boards.html)

pzull 01-11-2013 01:29 PM

Whats correct detuning for amptek hybrid boards?

I know that for camber boards you detune the edges near the tip n tail about 2inches past the contact point.

For amptek profile (eg. K2 raygun, Rossi Taipan, One magtek) camber contact points are just past the bindings and thereafter the early rise rocker doesn't have any contact points going to the tip and tail.

So for amptek profile, do I detune:
a) just past the tip/tail curved scoops like a camber board
b) scoop + early rise rocker
c) scoop + early rise rocker + 2inches past contact point which means between the bindings
d) just the contact points under the bindings

I having been catching my edge lately but going faster now and would hate to catch an edge at speed

G Steezy 01-12-2013 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pzull (Post 568945)
For amptek profile (eg. K2 raygun, Rossi Taipan, One magtek) camber contact points are just past the bindings and thereafter the early rise rocker doesn't have any contact points going to the tip and tail.

I've never heard of board profiles causing someone to detune a board differently. I mean just because the effective edge is different doesn't mean that the edge wont come into contact with the snow/feature at some point.
I mean, if that were true, Lib Tech Magnetraction boards would have factory specs like a serrated sword, and a regular tune would make these boards sharp on the points (apex), and soft at the intervals (base). You see what I'm saying?

Anyways, I would just detune like a regular cambered board.

poutanen 01-12-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G Steezy (Post 571194)
Anyways, I would just detune like a regular cambered board.

+1, either that or I wouldn't detune at all... I haven't detuned my last three camber boards. Catching an edge happens when you don't have your edge up, and that's 100% rider technique.

pzull 01-12-2013 10:54 AM

Thanks, that makes life easier!

G Steezy 01-12-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poutanen (Post 571346)
+1, either that or I wouldn't detune at all... I haven't detuned my last three camber boards. Catching an edge happens when you don't have your edge up, and that's 100% rider technique.

I've seen people detuning and who say it's worth it cause they hit rails. That minor edge has a chance of snagging on some messed up steel apparently. Whatever floats your boat but in all honesty I've never detuned my edges.

poutanen 01-12-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G Steezy (Post 571553)
I've seen people detuning and who say it's worth it cause they hit rails. That minor edge has a chance of snagging on some messed up steel apparently. Whatever floats your boat but in all honesty I've never detuned my edges.

Yeah big difference between detuning between your feet for rails, or detuning the tips because you're worried about catching an edge.