Hovercraft-size...powder boards longer or shorter? - Page 4 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #31 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

One guy bought a new board and the inserts didnt have any thread in them
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #32 (permalink)

FWIW, I've been riding a HC for 2 year now & loving it! Since, pretty much thats I all ride now. I'm a few years shy of 50. I'm 5'7" 150lbs, I've ridden pow boards that are 164cm long, they're great in pow but suck in the trees. That is where the HC kills it! I have the 156 and it can float like styrafoam in 3-4ft of pow and turn on a dime in trees. I ordered mine from Salty Peaks board shop in Utah, they're an awesome small shop with a great selection of pow boards. Give'em a call, they have an 800 toll free number, very knowlegeable and friendly!
RichnNorcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #33 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Etm you should do a birdman review after a couple of days on it. Its a skatebanana with a extra foot of nose. The nose doesn't touch the snow so it should ride groomers like a fun freestyle board. Switch too. I am very interested. I have a 165 snowmullet which is the best board I've every rode. With rocker between the feet it pivots from the middle in pow making it more nimble than shorter cambered boards. Switch pow butters for days. Then cranks turns and pops ollies on the firm. Its funny that tapered boards get a bad for groomer rap, where I think they rip groomers. I'm sure that the hover keeps the nose out of the snow, but in 3D snow that tail helps out when you lean back coming out of the turn, a longer pow board gives a more surfy feel, short board is more slashy.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #34 (permalink)
Veteran Member

My nug has a surfy feel in deep pow
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #35 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
Watch those hovercrafts, the inserts are forward of the centre of sidecut radius. Unless you would set up a twin forward of centre Im not sure why anybody would want that on a powder board. Its a design flaw in my opinion.

As for riding like a bigger board, they dont have the effective edge of a longer board and the only way you can increase the surface area of the board is by width. So when you cut through all the hype its just a wide board.

You have to consider if you want something that will hold a good edge on the hardpack, a board with full rocker forward of the bindings is never going to be as good as one with camber out in front like mine does, then add the long powder nose and the board is getting long, theres nothing you can do about it.
If you value the performance on hardpack as much as you do in the powder you find yourself needing a longer board. If you are prepared to have a rocker board from the front foot forward you can basically start the rocker nose profile a lot earlier and end up with a shorter board like the hovercraft. But I still dont know why the inserts are forward of centre? Id love someone to explain that one.

No. I don't agree with you.

HC holds a carve almost as well as my cambered Arbor A-Frame. And that thing can carve ice if you want to. Besides you will need it just to cut the groomer to your next pow stash or lift. You ride a pow board on powder days right?

The nose floats on flat, I can't manage to get stuck with that board, and when all is done and slashed the bigger flexy nose smashes the slashed snow like an icebreaker. you don't even notice it even with tired legs.

I don't know why they placed the inserts where they did..ask Jeremy? I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing..All I know is that rides like a dream.

Absolutely love the HC. Got it used from this forum... best deal ever.

Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06

Last edited by KIRKRIDER; 01-15-2013 at 07:32 PM.
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #36 (permalink)
Banned

I'd personally roll with the 160 for your size, your a lot bigger than Jeremy so it would make sense that you ride a bigger board. A 160 in pow is so easy to throw around still and you won't have to worry about float with the bigger size.
RockSteady is offline   Reply With Quote